Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Complete Darkness?

I'm treating my best friend to a 3 day trip to DL/DCA in a couple weeks. Aren't I a nice guy? LOL!

Problem is.... he panics during periods of COMPLETE darkness. He's ok if there is a tiny amount of light, or something to focus on.

I know so many of the rides have periods of darkness, but just how dark is it? Its been years since I've been and so much has changed over the years. I guess I'm wondering most about these rides:

Matterhorn: The ride to the top. Is it complete darkness to the top, or is there light from the outside peeking in, here and there?

Space Mountain: Back in the day, there were light beams and stars everywhere. What about now, with Ghost Galaxy?

Tower of Terror: I've never been on this.

Haunted Mansion: Doesn't it go dark in the stretching room? I can't remember if the candles stay lit tho???

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks guys!

• The doctor is in

Re: Complete Darkness?

Haunted Mansion Holiday has periods of darkness in the stretching room but they aren't extensive.

Tower of Terror you might want to just skip. A majority of that ride, from what I have seen in pov videos, is in the dark.

As far as any ride with complete darkness, maybe have some sort of light out for him? A cell phone, a handheld led light, etc.. A majority of the rides have some sort of darkness period. That is kind of the point of a dark ride.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

I know Pirates has that very small period of time when going down the hill its dark as well.

• Hooterville, USA

Bring a flashlight.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

How about bringing a small flashlight, to shine on maybe the wall of the ride vehicle? Not enough to disturb people around you, but enough for your friend to have a focus point?

I hope you and your friend have a great visit!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Blew By You

I'd say the initial incline in the Matterhorn is the darkest. It lasts about 20 plus seconds, then the bobsleds break out to the light. Pirates is themed to be a nighttime, so even with lights, the interior is dim.

Please don't bring a flashlight. We complain a lot about flash photography here. A flashlight will not help anyone.

Mught I suggest a glowstick? They're fun and they don't ruin other people's enjoyment. The glow will help your friend.

• DLR Enthusiast

-There are some spots in Indy that are dark (not that it will be open during your visit).
    -Big Thunder has a spot or two in complete darkness.
    -The Disneyland Railroad has some dark tunnels.
    -Finding Nemo might be a disaster if he has darkness/claustrophobia issues.
    -Brian - Find me on Facebook

• Selfie Expert

Pirates I know does, Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones (which I guess will be closed anyway)... Space Mountain is dark, but I believe it has "stars" everywhere, they just don't exactly illuminate. However, I have never been on ghost galaxy (soon!) so I'm not sure if it's very different. Would a cell phone screen be enough light for them? That may be less disturbing than a flashlight, though the idea of just using it to light the side of the vehicle may keep it confined.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by bamato View Post
    -Finding Nemo might be a disaster if he has darkness/claustrophobia issues.
    I am so glad someone mentioned this. produceguy, I would strongly suggest you do not take your friend on this ride. I have minor claustrophobia issues and have stuck it out through the Nemo ride twice but I am done with it after the last time I rode it. There are periods of darkness and you are basically stuck in a hot, sardine can with about 20 other people.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

I second the glow stick idea. That would be perfect for those moment on HM or with TOT. Matterhorn is dark briefly as you ascend but then you can see the falling snow projection and that works until you hit more light.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world. - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

Hmm? Glow sticks. That's a good idea. Maybe he could wear one around his neck under his shirt, and pull it out as needed? Need to find some of those quickly. We leave in 13 days!

Would a glow stick last for a full day, does anyone know?

Thanks for all your replies everyone! You are so helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by produceguy View Post
    Hmm? Glow sticks. That's a good idea. Maybe he could wear one around his neck under his shirt, and pull it out as needed? Need to find some of those quickly. We leave in 13 days!

Would a glow stick last for a full day, does anyone know?

Thanks for all your replies everyone! You are so helpful!
    I don't think a single glow stick will last all day. Maybe 6 hours. If you buy a small package and break the seals throughout the day you should be good to go. Sounds like a great idea to me!

Recently I bought a pack of glow stick bracelets from the Target dollar bin area. They were supposed to have connectors but I didn't see any in the box.

Anyone remember the very beginning of Adventure Through Inner Space? Just after your Atomobile entered the "microscope?" Now THAT was complete darkness!!
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Still Dizzy

What part of tower of terror is in complete darkness? As far as I can remember, doing a mental ride through in my head, you are always able to see around you. I can't see a portion that is complete "I can't see anything" darkness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast