Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Inappropriate

Re: Soarin' over California - loosing altitude with guests, needs a clean-up.

Is the film actual film or is it digital projection? If it's not digital, why not? My local Podunk theater has digital projectors, why not Disneyland?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

•   

I've been to the one at DCA several times and it's "okay" at best. It seems to me the best solution to this issue is to fist understand that they made this ride exclusive to DCA and then later brought it to EPCOT as Soarin'. Same movie, but not in California. What seems wrong with that picture?

Maybe the smarter move is to just stand back and acknowledge this fundemental flaw by filming a new movie for either or both. I don't care whether it's Soarin' over Florida, Soarin' over other places in California, Sorain' over the World, Google Earth: The Ride or what they decide to call it. I just think that if anyone were to acknowledge the overall shrug most people have for this ride it would be to film a new movie.

Just stand back and look at it. It's a movie theater. It doesn't even have to be retooled. Film new movie, slap a new score on it, and load new scents in the smellitzers. No construction necessary.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

This ride needs a major refurb. I've noticed major screen spots for over a year now. Initially it distracted me, but I try not to look at these days when I ride. I still love this ride and it's great, I just wish they would fix the screen.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    That would be the worst thing they could do to this ride. It may be fine for EPCOT, but this park is about CA, not other destinations in the world. If they want to update Soarin' Over California, they could add some more scenes to the existing show, like Avalon or Death Valley.
    I agree I would love for it to say a CA themed ride...but rumors and knowing Disney they're going to only update the Q/ride if they make it "new" which meaning changing it to Soarin Over the World...and while Disney fans may not like the idea......many of my friends have said they can't wait to ride it and I think these are the people Disney are aiming for not us fans

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

That would be the worst thing they could do to this ride. It may be fine for EPCOT, but this park is about CA, not other destinations in the world. If they want to update Soarin' Over California, they could add some more scenes to the existing show, like Avalon or Death Valley.
    I agree that if they changed it to Soarin' over the World that it wouldn't match CA, although I would love it if it was there.

I love CA Screaming, I had never rode it for some reason until last summer, and when we first ascended and hit those "clouds", i loved it. the smells got to be a bit overdone and the video quality lacked at some points, but this ride is very nice. A clean up, but nothing much should be done besides better transitions( man i got lost after a couple)

• Dead men tell no tales.

Except for maybe re-filming some of the video clips and making the screen a little bigger and immersive, I think Soarin' is fine as it is. I always get the feeling like I'm actually flying in the places displayed (just don't look to the side ) and I think it's fine as it stands.

• ~

I bet just cleaning the film, projection, and screens would go along way toward correcting the problem. Upgrading to high definition would be the icing on the cake.
    If they want to update Soarin' Over California, they could add some more scenes to the existing show, like Avalon or Death Valley.
    Bingo. Maybe something la Star Tours: The Adventures Continue with different sequences each time you experience the attraction. There are still many interesting and significant locations through California that could be featured in the ride.

Along with fixing the screen, I think that the scent nozzles need to be worked on. All of the smells are currently muddled. And some light misters would be a nice touch during the ocean segments or when youre flying by the waterfall in Yosemite.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Is the film actual film or is it digital projection? If it's not digital, why not? My local Podunk theater has digital projectors, why not Disneyland?
    It's still film. Has been since the ride opened.

Sad.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Bingo. Maybe something la Star Tours: The Adventures Continue with different sequences each time you experience the attraction. There are still many interesting and significant locations through California that could be featured in the ride.
    This +1
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by matman730 View Post
    My biggest problem with this ride is the nighttime flyover of downtown LA. That shot suffers from horrible camera jiggle, and my eyes get sore trying to compensate.
    Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Maybe the smarter move is to just stand back and acknowledge this fundemental flaw by filming a new movie for either or both. I don't care whether it's Soarin' over Florida, Soarin' over other places in California, Sorain' over the World, Google Earth: The Ride or what they decide to call it. I just think that if anyone were to acknowledge the overall shrug most people have for this ride it would be to film a new movie.

Just stand back and look at it. It's a movie theater. It doesn't even have to be retooled. Film new movie, slap a new score on it, and load new scents in the smellitzers. No construction necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by CatchAPairO View Post
    I love CA Screaming, I had never rode it for some reason until last summer, and when we first ascended and hit those "clouds", i loved it. the smells got to be a bit overdone and the video quality lacked at some points, but this ride is very nice. A clean up, but nothing much should be done besides better transitions( man i got lost after a couple)
    For me the problems of age are separate from the bad movie decisions. One can be fixed with some major upkeep, the other requires re-filming. The abrupt transitions are beyond annoying - they just plain stink (no pun intended). There is no reason to sail over a river - BAM! now you are over a snowy mountain - BAM! you are on the coast - BAM! you are over Disneyland at friggin' night no less. I think "What? Did I just fall asleep for a couple hours? How'd we get here?"

There is no way this was impossible to fix by professionals, as any first year film student could tell you how to make it a better immersive experience. For example: a transition device like soaring up from the river to just blue sky, and then down from blue sky to the snowy mountain. Or a simple cloud, as in soar up into a cloud from the snowy mountain and break out of the cloud over the coast. You could even adjust the lighting in the cloud to accommodate morning to sunset, or afternoon to evening transitions. Or better yet - have the segments in a correct temporal order; Morning to afternoon, Afternoon to evening, evening to Disneyland at night. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure this out and make a half-way believable experience instead of a series of disconnected jump cuts that tell absolutely no other story other than "Hey, we're in California." Well, Duh! Come on Imagineers! Make us BELIEVE we are soarin', not just watching an amateur vacation film.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Disneyland Historian

WDI could use the same excuse used with Cars Land. Even though Cars Land is based on a film that takes place outside of California, they claim it belongs because of California's car culture. Therefore a new film in Soarin' need not take you to places in California. Having a film that celebrates aviation's history and prominence in California is enough, it can take you anywhere they want it to. Not saying I agree with it, but WDI is very loose these days with the California theme. If they do pay to make a new film, I would be highly surprised if they didn't play it in both locations simply to spread out the cost.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    Personally I don't want an update. I want a restoration!!!
    This!

Depending on where I sit I can't get into the "magic" with feet dangling above me.

---------- Post added 09-27-2012 at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    Yeah like Fresno! lol.

"So make the best of this test and don't ask why. It's not a question but a lesson learned in time."- Green Day
    "The harder you work, the luckier you get."- Billie Joe Armstrong
    "This is my rage. This is my love. This is my town. This is my city. This is my life."

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by Gregmh48 View Post
    WDI could use the same excuse used with Cars Land. Even though Cars Land is based on a film that takes place outside of California, they claim it belongs because of California's car culture. Therefore a new film in Soarin' need not take you to places in California. Having a film that celebrates aviation's history and prominence in California is enough, it can take you anywhere they want it to. Not saying I agree with it, but WDI is very loose these days with the California theme. If they do pay to make a new film, I would be highly surprised if they didn't play it in both locations simply to spread out the cost.
    Well, I've seen many a town in California baring striking resemblances to Radiator Springs against many a landscape similar to Cadillac Range. I was not ecstatic about DCA receiving a whole land based solely off a Pixar franchise, but I will admit that I personally think it fits nicely into the theme of California. Just my humble opinion. But I still wish it featured more originality rather than being purely based off a pre-exisiting franchise.

• Cars Land Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    It's still film. Has been since the ride opened.

Sad.
    I do remember when Star Tours 2 replaced the first Star Tours, one of the long time maintenance engineers at Disneyland told me it was actually cheaper to replace the flim prints than the digital projector bulbs. Not sure if that is the reason they've never changed it on Soarin'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast