Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

Re: Soarin' over California - losing altitude with guests, needs a clean-up.

I agree Soarin' really needs to be freshened up. It need some updates like finding a way to hide people's feet, the picture is showing some wear n tear, better transitions between the scenes, maybe a new film this filmed with an 3d imax camera?

Despite its current flaw, Soarin' is still my favorite attraction in DCA. It might be the reason why I didn't leave California.

It is an IMAX projector running at 48 frames per second and the film is in a loop cabinet, so it can run in a continuous loop. It has been getting worse over the last year and sometimes unbearable to watch. Dirt on the print, scratches on the film, dirty screens and an unsteady image at times.

• Seeker of Fun

It needs a a screen cleaning, or something. Not sure why this hasn't been addressed already.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The problem with Soarin' is that it is filmed on huge Imax film and shot specially to be projected onto the massive curved screen. Because of the Imax frame rate, it also requires a much longer film for the relatively short duration. So basically we have a very long, very expensive filmstrip that is very customized and tuned to music and the movement of the seats. Furthermore, the film requires an ultra-bright Imax bulb to illuminate adding to fading over time.

The baseline is that a film this large showing this often is going to wear down film quickly and it is going to take some innovation from Disney to work out how to address the quality issues. I think that going Digital is probably the solution but none of us have the facts for the specific (and highly specialized) Soarin' installation in front of us so it remains to be seen!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    It needs a a screen cleaning, or something. Not sure why this hasn't been addressed already.
    Because Disney doesn't want to spend the money keeping the show's projection specs (print, projection chain and screen) at the same quality as when the attraction was new.

There are areas in the Parks where Pressler's "run it until it breaks" philosophy still rules. This is just one of them.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

First, Soarin' is still a terrific attraction. The first thing my wife and I do after entering DCA is grab a FastPass, and every viewing is as enjoyable as the first. That said, the screens definitiely could use a rehab, as could the "ride mechanisms." I have more issues with the attraction breaking down than any issues with the film quality. Lately, it seems like every other time we (try to) go on Soarin' we end up receiving one of those "anywhere, anytime" FastPasses. This is handy for a late run on Space Mountain, but it is still frustrating to get to the theatre doors only to be walked out the back.

I am not in favor of Soarin' Over the World in DCA. This is a terrific concept, but does not belong in California. i also do not have a problem with the current film, as it does a good job of hitting all of the high points of the Golden State (although the dated footage from downtown LA does seem a little tired). The CA-based AP who knows all of the scenes from personal experience and who goes on the attraction regularly may wish for some alternate scenes, but if you are trying to create an experience of all aspects of the state for those who are making a once-in-a-lifetime trip to DLR the content strikes the right chords. If there must be a new film (with alternate California footage or of the World), perhaps they can show two films on alternate days or have a different film in each theatre.

• No Disassemble!

Surely the years of consistently high demand for this attraction would warrant a digital projector upgrade!! One thing that I know they don't have is a 4K projector. With all the money being made right now I'd like to see either the film be re-shot in 4K and shown with new projectors OR see the original get up-converted to this higher resolution.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Because Disney doesn't want to spend the money keeping the show's projection specs (print, projection chain and screen) at the same quality as when the attraction was new.

There are areas in the Parks where Pressler's "run it until it breaks" philosophy still rules. This is just one of them.
    I disagree. I think that "permanent damage" was likely done to the film and equipment during the era you speak of, and now, even with the higher standards of upkeep we are seeing around the DLR, they are waiting to finish up with DCA's expansion before going back and finding a suitable solution to the problem which is probably rather extensive and complex. I understand their hesitation in that case as it is likely that they are looking at a large-scale fix instead of running around with duct-tape and 12oz paint cans.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I disagree. I think that "permanent damage" was likely done to the film and equipment during the era you speak of, and now, even with the higher standards of upkeep we are seeing around the DLR, they are waiting to finish up with DCA's expansion before going back and finding a suitable solution to the problem which is probably rather extensive and complex. I understand their hesitation in that case as it is likely that they are looking at a large-scale fix instead of running around with duct-tape and 12oz paint cans.
    There's nothing stopping Disney from striking a new print -- except their desire to maximize profits at the cost of not maintaining the quality of this show at opening-day levels. They're certainly not going to invest big bucks in a state of the art digital system for "Soarin' Over California" -- an attraction that synergizes with nothing and generates no ancillary income.

What you see on that screen is what you'll get for the foreseeable future -- until it either breaks completely and repairs are forced, or it's closed.

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Part of me wants to believe that. To a point, another part of me even things that it might kind of make sense. The huge cost for that reprint just might not make sense when considered against the planned refresh cycle. Things like general upkeep for the sake of the level of show Disney is known for are easy and crucial, but Imax film is a whole different ball game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Disney that was didn't even make a suitable backup and now they have nothing to make a reprint from. That is 2000's Disney to the core.

In Walt's time this would likely be unacceptable and the show would possibly have been closed. But, this isn't as viable in today's environment where guests expect the lineup of attractions to either stay the same or grow, while existing attractions remaining open all the time. This demand is what has caused the issues we see with Indy and Soarin'. Disney's recent response of closing attractions for months at a time in spite of this is a strong reassurance that the mistakes made in the past are being fixed.

Basically, what you say is relatively easy to support because it matches with history. But what I am thinking fits with history as well as the recent trend. Condor Flats is one of the few areas that hasn't been touched by the Imagineers yet for DCA 2.0 which only supports my theory more.

• Senior Minion

^ I hear what you're saying. No one would be happier than I to see Disney change their M.O. For now, though, I see Soarin' sliding down the same slope as the PeopleMover, Submarine Voyage thru Liquid Space, County Bear Jamboree and so many other non-branded attractions that Disney let get worn out and tired until they no longer attracted an audience -- at which point (surprise, surprise) they were closed. Those that got replacements were, of course, replaced with something less innovative and creative than the original was when it first opened.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 09-28-2012 at 06:30 PM.

- Neil Gabler

• Cars Land Rocks!

I think quality issues may have more to do with the screen than the film print. From my understanding the prints on film attractions get replaced fairly often. The film couldn't possibly last that long, running the same print over and over again.

• Sock Puppet

i liked it in the beginning now it's kinda like ..boring to me lol. and i thought the screen needed cleaning, there was like spit balls or something on the screen, and it was just dirty!!

I Mean it's great ride when you never been to the park! but the dirty screen isn't something i'd like a visiting tourist to see and yes the "noise" of the film is annoying too
    Last edited by Poisonedapples; 09-28-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123