Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Nic

Re: Reimagined Tomorrowland ...with a definite place and time!

I love these ideas, but I, like a few others here, can't see a whole land being enclosed, especially with great parts of the Disneyland skyline (i.e. Astro Orbiters, Space Mountain). Why not do something like the light canopy in Fremont Street, that could have projections of space, or a space station on it?
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on if something is new, I reject it immediately because its frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    Interesting idea, but you don't have to have the whole thing inside. If you have these interstellar gateways, have them transport you this space station which also has an outdoor atmosphere that we can breathe in. Your idea totally works even if it meas that people still get to enjoy sunshine and air. Just take all the money they would have spent on creating a roof for all of that, and use that money to theme every inch of the place towards the rest of your concept. The Gateways would act just like the berm does now, it would have leave the world of today and enter an exciting future location set in deep space but on a planet very much like our own. The problem with the current TL is that it doesn't have a cohesive theme at all... and it suffers from severe neglect.
    Yes, that would work as well. My idea for the space station, though, allows us to keep Star Tours, Space Mountain, and Buzz Lightyear as attractions in this reworked Tomorrowland, as they all involve "launching" off a space station. If we theme it to another planet with an atmosphere like Earth, we would have to rework those rides so that they fit the story. More money, but doable!

•   

An entire land inside, no sunshine or air....

Are we emulating a Disney/Pixar movie intentionally or was it just accurate in predicting what we would become?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• Your Nemesis

When reimagining Tomorrowland, the Imagineers must keep in mind that time will catch up to them. Therefore, they should predetermine the future time they are attempting to convey. In other words, it's inevitable that they will have to redo it again in the near future, so don't worry about creating the future, just create part of the future.

Switching topics slightly, I like most of these ideas. I do however have a few problems.

1) Space Mountain does not need to be renamed. If you're in space, who's to say there isn't a 'space' mountain? It's not inconceivable that there could be a mountain in space.
    2) Removing Captain E-O is a good idea, but I'm not sure an entire dark ride could be added to such a small space. I would like to see an exciting new ride in the space between Tomorrowland and Main Street, with the queue/pre-ride show occupying the current Tomorrowland Theater.
    3) I like the idea of transportation to enter the land, but it should not be the only way to enter the land. People should be able to come and go as they please. Although that would seemingly undermine the purpose for having the gateways you mentioned, the gateways could be the peoplemover 2.0, meaning the peoplemover returns, and people are sure to use it.
    4) The improved dining is very important. I would like to see the Tomorrowland Terrace become a more interactive dining experience where there is still a stage and music/Jedi-training, but also a touch screen to order your food at some of the tables. You would choose what items, toppings, and condiments you want from your table, and pick up the food at the counter.
    Running is a mental sport and I am insane!

• Team Hail HYDRA

Tomorrowland has not been the same after COP left
    the land had a unified theme....(motion)
    that is what the lands really really really needs

I LOVE star wars so I love star tours
    but i wish it could go to a different spot to make a star wars subland to fit with the new unified theme

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Banned User

I disagree. The land could be designed to look more like images we've seen in Disney/Pixar films... Or disneyize the future with a fun yet generic exterior. I like the LED canopy idea as we have in Downtown Las Vegas.
    Remove the lame rides (IMO) Nemo, Autopia, Innoventions, the star port, Captain Eo and the Starcade.
    replace with rides based on... TRON, WALL-e, John Carter of Mars maybe... And yes... Another Star Wars ride or eatery (think Mos Eisley cantina)

Nemo can be rebuilt, I would say throw it over in DCA similar to a star tours ride.

throw some fun TRON like neons and interactive projections for a night time experience never seen.

it could be something incredible.

Let's hope that Imagineering is already deep into the Blue Sky process for a completely reimagined TomorrowLand. Just look at what one post for one re-imagination of Tommorland has generated already. Clearly, there is no other area of the Resort that screams for a massive reworking on a scale equal to or greater than Cars Land. It's a great opportunity, but it also presents a great risk (lest we get more of the same from the last TomorrowLand overhaul, the Imagineering equivalent of "New Coke").

Part of the appeal of TomorrowLand, and also the problem for any re-design, is the origin of the original TomorrowLand. As many have noted, projecting the future is nigh impossible, particularly in our current age when new technology exceeds the old by leaps and bounds but is also obsolete as soon as it hits the market. That wasn't the case in the 50's and early 60's. Unlike any time in modern history, there was an enormous fascination with the future & science: space travel, modern means of transportation, splitting the atom, exploring cellular structures, etc. When TomorrowLand opened, manned space flight had not yet occurred, but everybody just knew we were heading to the moon and beyond. In that environment, the expectations of the future, particularly Walt's expectations of the future, were the appeal. Now, there is no such sense of awe, just the demand for more than was made available yesterday.

The TommowLand of the 60's was no more accurate in predicting the future than Innoventions is now. But the attractions played on our hopes and desires, and they were extremely well executed. That is why so many discussions about the future of TomorrowLand include hopes for restored or re-imagined versions of what is no longer there (Carousel of Progress, Peoplemover, Adventure thru Innerspace, the Rocket Jets above TomorrowLand, etc.) I would love to have the TomorrowLand of the 60's and early 70's (along with Space Mountain), but I know that is not going to happen. However, it is not too much to ask, or expect, that Imagineering reinvent TomorrowLand so as to recapture what we felt in its glory days, and not just look for ways to incorporate theme park attractions into a merchandising opportunity.

OK, I'll bite. Remember that the TL of the 50's could have been called SciFi-Land. Man in space, etc. What TL always lacked was tweaking as technology changed and updated. Example: Look at the Enterprise of the original Star Trek compared with the last version. It's still a starship and the mission is the same, but the way of presenting the idea was updated. If you were to create the Mission To Mars (MM) attraction today you would create it differently than they did in the 60's. MM could have been tweaked and modernized at any time but they let it go stale. Think of MM using Star Tours tech. It is plausible.

Tomorrowland simply needs to be updated and revised not torn down. Somebody mentioned a portal? No. Adventurelands portal is an archway and architectural changes. The brain handles the rest. I do like the Fremont Street canopy idea, though. OK, here's my retro update idea.

Move the Orbiter back to it's pedestal where it belongs.
    Buzz Lightyear: Gone. Put in a vastly updated ATIS featuring a story based on nanotechnology and subatomic particles.
    Star Tours: Your safe, I'm a fan.
    Space Mountain: Expand the track out the backside of the building and enter a new show building. A massive diorama could be built.
    Peoplemover: Updated track system featuring inductive propulsion. Buildings along the track would have to be modified but this is a major overhaul. New track would go through the expanded Space Mountain giving a different perspective of the diorama (You could put the updated Mission To Mars Control Center here).
    Innovations: Gone. Return the Carousel Theater to a show building with a new presentation. A five episode look at Disney innovations in the parks from the beginning to the future. Hosted by Tom Morrow or the Father from CoP (I like retro references). The show has a lot of AA, ride tech innovation, and Walts ideas on the future. Finish the show by going upstairs for a fully animated DL model showcasing old rides as well as future ideas.
    Autopia: Hard to change since it rides over the Submarines. Maybe going electric on the cars with a Sci-Fi twist.
    Monorail: Don't mess with a classic. You can't tell me that restoring the streetcars and subways in LA was cheaper than a monorail system.
    Submarines: Another classic. Change the Nemo show. Anyone seen the short on the Nemo DVD? It features one of Jacques Cousteau's sons discussing the ocean with commentary from Dorie and Nemo. It could be the base of a new show that is less obnoxious. The new show can still showcase underwater exploration, sunken cities, plate tectonics, etc.

There is still room in TL to add other ideas once you get rid of the pizza place and Capt EO.

Well said, TrueBlue!

• Chief Troublemaker

Good concept MarkW. As far as 'Tomorrowland quickly becoming Yesterdayland' thing, I'd say that space colonization or space travel for the masses is pretty far in the future, probably a century or more away. So the theme of a space colony or galactic star station would hold for some time. As an homage to my generation and the location of my youth (1970s L A) I'd like to see Innoventions remade into a good old Griffith Park Planetarium-style 'Laserium' show. Nothing like a good old fashioned observatory constellation show with laser lights & music to get you in the mood for traveling through space.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Banned User

Could combine a mission to Mars theme with John Carter...
    Follow some Classic Star Wars design cues. A bit of age makes it feel more real.

In my lifetime, I would love to see another Star Wars feature, autopia, innoventions and Nemo ... Gone and replaced with higher technology rides/features.

IMO, autopia and nemo may be classic, but they too dated and cover a whole lot of prime real estate.

MRaymond's proposal to reinvent Innoventions as a Carousel of Disneyland/Disney Parks Progress is a terrific idea. It would not run the risk of the large gaps in history of the final scene of COP, projecting the future would be accurate since Disney would actually knowwhat was coming, and you could incorporatesome aspect of the Walt Disney Story that did not end up in the Carthay Circle Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    MRaymond's proposal to reinvent Innoventions as a Carousel of Disneyland/Disney Parks Progress is a terrific idea. It would not run the risk of the large gaps in history of the final scene of COP, projecting the future would be accurate since Disney would actually knowwhat was coming, and you could incorporatesome aspect of the Walt Disney Story that did not end up in the Carthay Circle Theater.
    I thought about it some more and the Carousel of Disney show (I like that) could also feature rides that never materialized. Failure is always an option, they say. The layout of the old EPCOT model that was there before had plenty of space.

• Element of Laughter

What I would like to see for Tomorrowland is something like what people in 1955 imagined the world would look like in 2055. . . kind of like the "History of the future" theme, but less Victorian, more Jetsons. . . any ideas?
    ​Pinkamena Diane Pie, is that you?

This might be a good place to introduce my idea of using the tower of terror elevator technology. No specific theme but the use of existing technology with a twist. We know that the elevator motors make the elevator fall faster than gravity to allow the sensation of falling fast. So why can't this be done in a forward, backward or sideways direction? This technology could be be used for so many interplanetary,microscopic, or futuristic journeys & transportation effects while adding 3d, or 360 degree surround effects, or however they can be improved.The ride vehicle could hold quite a few people and not take up much ground space, especially if the attraction could offer different visuals each time the ride vehicle return to its starting position. Using different tunnels, moveable walls or changing projections with each movement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast