Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Dreaming of next trip

Re: Was The Little Mermaid queue overbuilt?

The queue was used a lot the first year it opened, we waited in a long line to see it then. Now you can almost walk on a lot of times. They have to build the queue for the largest amount of people that they think will line up for the ride.
    So right now it is tue the queue was over built, but the first year it would fill up and then extend.

• No Disassemble!

I think that the majority of the queue can and does get used on the really crowded holidays. If re-purposed I'd imagine that the total of all the unnecessary queue would amount to nothing more than a WOC viewing patio for paying guests.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Magicguy View Post
    I was just at the park on Monday and literally thought the same thing when I walked onto the ride.
    I thought "Wow..a giant queue..they could of made a few more show scenes with that extra space."
    This. I wish they'd extended the ride instead of the queue.

I guess they really did anticipate huge crowds with TLM. Sad to see that hasn't happened-every time I've walked past that ride, even when DCA is busy, it's a walk on. Often you see the CMs standing there alone and empty shell after empty shell going along the Omnimover. It's too bad, but since the ride is so blah I can't blame anyone for passing it up.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Um... yeah!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

My guess...is one day they'll us the extra Q area as part of the Q for the ride that's going to replace the Goofy Sky School area

• I love that tiny bear!

I'm not sure if this works for locals/repeat visitors, but walking through an empty queue always makes me feel for a few moments like the park is less crowded. I guess it's a psychological trick.

I don't mind the stroller parking because I think of how full of strollers the areas near Star Tours and Small World Holiday can get, sometimes even making it hard to navigate...anymore, I'd much rather see too much stroller parking than too little.

I'm not sure if there would be traffic routing problems when the line is long if they DIDN'T have the extended queue, so it doesn't bother me either way. But an extra show scene would be nice.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Was TLM queue overbuilt?
    Maybe the real question should be about the ride, "Was TLM underbuilt?"

TLM, IMHO, just doesn't have the attention to details like other dark rides in Disneyland. I mean, the outside of TLM is awfully tacky, the mural looks like something out of a run-down Disney store, and ditto for the entrance to the ride, the fake boat's back side obviously made out of plaster which looks almost 2-D because they skimped so much on the budget.

There is a couple good Ariel animatronics, and Ursula, but the second half of the ride is unfinished. I mean, a paper cut-out Ursula, really?! Plus, the ending is creepy weird with the waving, and they simply re-used duplicate plastic fish and "left-over" dancing turtles, newts and what have you from the big "Under the Sea" scene.

And why is the "Under the Sea" scene have this black background? Aren't we supposed to be underwater? The cut-out seaweed plants look fake, and the only "real" looking seaweed is around Ariel so we can't see how her new hairdo looks flat in the back.

The Kiss the Girl scene should be magical, but it looks cheesy. The concept art envisioned a larger scene with more trees and stuff. I do think the ride needs more scenes and they should take out the t.v. screen they use for the swimming Ariel above the clamshells, looks 100% fake from an angle like all flat screen televisions!

Plus, the transformation of Ariel done with a flat screen, really!? They couldn't use fiber optics and a Pepper's ghost? Cheap-o! Ditto for the lame paper cut out of Ariel getting her voice back after kissing Eric . . . too bad it never happened this way in the movie!

---------- Post added 09-28-2012 at 07:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I wish they'd extended the ride instead of the queue.
    I can't believe that Orlando's TLM will be a clone of DCA's Mermaid. Somebody should have clued TDO on to the fact that outside of Carsland, (and maybe TSMM), TDA still wants to make DCA's balance sheet look better by going cheap. Look at the queue for Mickey's Fun Wheel . . . an industrial cement tub set in the putrid waters of Paradise Lagoon (Bay, whatever), with steel struts. They *were* going to add a nice Victorian overlay, but no, no money for this even though they are practically price gouging when it comes to buying park tickets.

Lasseter put his foot down when it came time to shave Carsland's budget, but I think we can all see how ridiculously cheap TLM's final budget was. TLM isn't really a Disney attraction in the traditional sense, but more like an exhibit of a couple animatronics, and a couple of by-the-book recreations of musical numbers. Very poor theming inside of the attraction, poor storytelling as a couple scenes are 100% different from the film, and rest are clones of scenes from the film.

It may seem great that the Omnimover moves guests through TLM, but it is not the same intimate experience as Peter Pan or Alice where the ride vehicles aren't bunched together like crazy, or even the same "open" feeling on these rides as the Omnimover is so claustrophobic as half your view is cut off!
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-27-2012 at 11:26 PM.

• Senior Minion

^ Nail on the head.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Eeee-va View Post
    I'm not sure if there would be traffic routing problems when the line is long if they DIDN'T have the extended queue, so it doesn't bother me either way.
    On other attractions, they use those temporary lines made up of poles stuck into those holes in the cement walkways that are normally covered. I think they should have done this for Mermaid, though obviously they thought it would be a bigger hit than it was.

---------- Post added 09-28-2012 at 07:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    The area on the east should of been a exit gift shop.
    The first time I rode TLM, I wanted to get a stuff Ursula toy for my niece (who wasn't there). Looked high and low and couldn't find the stupid gift shop! I literally walked around the showbuilding, then asked a CM who had no idea whatsoever where Little Mermaid stuff could be purchased. Checked the Emporium and they had nothing.

Actually ordered one (plush Ursula) off of Amazon instead as a relatively short while after opening they hardly had any Mermaid merchandise in DCA despite premiering TLM!

Normally, I'm neutral on the gift shop as exit, though I do like how it is done with Star Tours. Would have worked with Mermaid as the ride is lacking, so anything else to look at would be a plus, even if it is just a Mermaid themed gift shop.

Months ago saw a sign outside of Mermaid pointing to where princess/mermaid merchandise could be found elsewhere in DCA. They just didn't think about normal expectations for such rides, i.e. that the attraction is well done and has a consistent theme, and that little girls would be interested in buying Little Mermaid merchandise if available. Their fault if they don't want to make money. Not at all surprised they bungled the Carsland merchandise roll out (or lack thereof).
    Last edited by chesirecat; 09-28-2012 at 12:04 AM.

•   
    • Minion

Agreeing with the above ^^^^.

It's kind of a depressing commentary on the current design standards and state of Imagineering that the dark rides built in the 1950s and 60s, like Snow White and Peter Pan, with much more limited technology, are far more engaging, interesting and popular than the one built in 2011. They could have potentially done so much with TLM and they just...didn't.
    Last edited by Malina; 09-28-2012 at 12:30 AM.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

The queue wasn't over built, the attraction was under built. Design quality from the Imagineers is a major problem with every single one of their new attractions, including RSR which is simply disappointing for a 300 million dollar project. As Malina mentioned, how is it that a few cheap and short attractions in Fantasyland are far more engaging for their audience than both RSR and TLM?
    Last edited by Seawolf; 09-28-2012 at 12:51 AM.

• Hooterville, USA

The last time I went there, I rode 5 times without getting up.

I was searching for Mr. Limpet and it took 5 times to spot him.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Maybe the real question should be about the ride, "Was TLM underbuilt?"

TLM, IMHO, just doesn't have the attention to details like other dark rides in Disneyland. I mean, the outside of TLM is awfully tacky, the mural looks like something out of a run-down Disney store, and ditto for the entrance to the ride, the fake boat's back side obviously made out of plaster which looks almost 2-D because they skimped so much on the budget.

There is a couple good Ariel animatronics, and Ursula, but the second half of the ride is unfinished. I mean, a paper cut-out Ursula, really?! Plus, the ending is creepy weird with the waving, and they simply re-used duplicate plastic fish and "left-over" dancing turtles, newts and what have you from the big "Under the Sea" scene.

And why is the "Under the Sea" scene have this black background? Aren't we supposed to be underwater? The cut-out seaweed plants look fake, and the only "real" looking seaweed is around Ariel so we can't see how her new hairdo looks flat in the back.

The Kiss the Girl scene should be magical, but it looks cheesy. The concept art envisioned a larger scene with more trees and stuff. I do think the ride needs more scenes and they should take out the t.v. screen they use for the swimming Ariel above the clamshells, looks 100% fake from an angle like all flat screen televisions!

Plus, the transformation of Ariel done with a flat screen, really!? They couldn't use fiber optics and a Pepper's ghost? Cheap-o! Ditto for the lame paper cut out of Ariel getting her voice back after kissing Eric . . . too bad it never happened this way in the movie!

---------- Post added 09-28-2012 at 07:14 AM ----------

I can't believe that Orlando's TLM will be a clone of DCA's Mermaid. Somebody should have clued TDO on to the fact that outside of Carsland, (and maybe TSMM), TDA still wants to make DCA's balance sheet look better by going cheap. Look at the queue for Mickey's Fun Wheel . . . an industrial cement tub set in the putrid waters of Paradise Lagoon (Bay, whatever), with steel struts. They *were* going to add a nice Victorian overlay, but no, no money for this even though they are practically price gouging when it comes to buying park tickets.

Lasseter put his foot down when it came time to shave Carsland's budget, but I think we can all see how ridiculously cheap TLM's final budget was. TLM isn't really a Disney attraction in the traditional sense, but more like an exhibit of a couple animatronics, and a couple of by-the-book recreations of musical numbers. Very poor theming inside of the attraction, poor storytelling as a couple scenes are 100% different from the film, and rest are clones of scenes from the film.

It may seem great that the Omnimover moves guests through TLM, but it is not the same intimate experience as Peter Pan or Alice where the ride vehicles aren't bunched together like crazy, or even the same "open" feeling on these rides as the Omnimover is so claustrophobic as half your view is cut off!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    The queue wasn't over built, the attraction was under built. Design quality from the Imagineers is a major problem with every single one of their new attractions, including RSR which is simply disappointing for a 300 million dollar project. As Malina mentioned, how is it that a few cheap and short attractions in Fantasyland are far more engaging for their audience than both RSR and TLM?
    ^ 100% agreed.

Another issue that I had with TLM is that the guest is not a participant in the attraction. The original Fantasyland dark rides immerse you in their world, you are part of the story, allowing you to participate and use your imagination and believe that you are in this alternate reality. You're the one driving out-of-control and causing chaos, you're the one flying over the nighttime sky of London and through the stars of Neverland, you're the one racing through the frightening forest and encountering an evil witch. Even after characters were added to the rides, the guest is still more or less in the center of the attraction's story. Whereas with TLM, you're just an observer. You're passively watching everything that happens with Ariel, but you're not experiencing these things along with her. This, along with the cheapness of how the ride was constructed, makes for an extremely dissapointing experience.
    Last edited by gatheringrosebuds; 09-28-2012 at 09:27 AM.

• Circle of Ancients

The longest we've waited for Mermaid was on the AP Preview days believe it or not.

As for the queue being overbuilt, I guess, but honestly, what else would they be able to build there? The queue portions closest to grizzly haven't been used in a long time and make great stroller parking so I'm ok with that.

•   

High-capacity attractions pose some peculiar challenges in terms of queue construction. They can have fairly high demand but still swallow up the line much of the time. But capacity can temporarily change. With Omnimover ride systems, this can be caused by slows or stops, for instance. When this happens, it suddenly becomes abundantly clear just how many people are getting in line for the attraction, and a line starts to form very quickly.

One of the inherent properties of a high-capacity attraction is that a short wait time corresponds to a relatively long physical line, so even if the queue only backs up to, say, a 10-minute wait, there may now be hundreds of people in line. That takes a lot of space. There are three basic places Disney can put them: in the walkway outside the attraction entrance, in an outdoor extended queue that uses poles and ropes, or in an actual queue area designed for this purpose. Disney avoids letting queues spill into the walkways for several good reasons, which leaves the last two options, both of which are typically present in any attraction Disney builds these days. But temporary extended queues are generally unthemed, unattractive, unshaded, and time-consuming to set up, which means that they're more suitable as a last resort on very crowded days.

I dont agree with every decision made where Mermaid is concerned, but the decision to build a long queue area was the right one. It's inevitable that most of it won't be used most of the time, but it would occasionally create some very big problems if it weren't there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast