Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Was The Little Mermaid queue overbuilt?

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    There is one thing to remember about the Disneyland Resort and its omnimover attractions: The last omnimover attraction built where you go from end of line to the boarding area was Adventures Thru Innerspace. Haunted Mansion uses the stretching rooms to get you to a level of continuing to the boarding area and Buzz Lightyear originally opened with Fastpass, which required stopping the standby queue, causing the line to build. Nowadays, it seems they hold the line so that people aren't stuck standing by Buzz listening to his spiel over and over. Mermaid is the first omnimover since Innerspace where you go from the end of the line to the loading area without being forced to pause.
    They let the line go directly through to the loading on Buzz, meaning there is no more stopping other than handicapped guests getting on the ride.

•   
    • Minion

One more thing about Mermaid I was thinking...the show building is one of the most beautiful structures in DCA, IMHO. It's a pity the interior doesn't match up.

While Omnimovers are people eaters, Mermaid really does seem to be dead most of the time, with all those empty clamshells. Buzz Lightyear's an Omnimover, and while it usually doesn't have a long wait, it always has a bit of a line inside as you get toward loading...and people seem to want to re-ride it.

Buzz also lives up to that standard mentioned above: the guest is an active part of the story.

---------- Post added 09-28-2012 at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    The big problem, IMHO, is that guests aren't by and large making riding Mermaid a priority, and even if it is a walk-on, people are skipping it. If RSR was a walk-on (had much higher capacity, like double or triple what it has), you'd probably have 40,000 guests per day (many of them repeats), if not more. I am guesstimating that 12,000 guests/day give Mermaid a whirl, when the ride could accomodate about 21,000 per day without breaking a sweat.
    I think this is a big part of it: it's not getting repeat riders. Guests go on it once to see what it is, and unless they're looking for the hidden fun features like Mr. Limpett they're just not inspired to go back.

Is it really Mr. Limpett? He's not Disney character, is he?

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    While Omnimovers are people eaters, Mermaid really does seem to be dead most of the time, with all those empty clamshells. Buzz Lightyear's an Omnimover, and while it usually doesn't have a long wait, it always has a bit of a line inside as you get toward loading...and people seem to want to re-ride it.
    Unless it's a dark ride I really love, I don't usually re-ride a dark ride twice. Buzz keeps people coming back because there's a game aspect to it; you can try and beat your previous score every time you ride it again.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Unless it's a dark ride I really love, I don't usually re-ride a dark ride twice.
    That's the crux of it right there: guests love Mr. Toad, Peter Pan, etc...they keep coming back for those.

I agree on Buzz, and I think it's one thing that keeps it going. If they redid the course I think they'd find that the lines would rival Toy Story.

• DCP DLR Alumnus!

While I agree that some aspects of TLM could have been done better (i.e. expanding the attraction with more scenes), I actually love this attraction...it's my second favorite in DCA, behind RSR (next in line would be ToT, if anyone's wondering). I don't quite get the hate people have for it. I understand that a lot of people are disappointed that it doesn't live up to its full potential, but why not enjoy the attraction for what it is? I, for one, appreciate having a (in my opinion) decent dark ride in DCA that I can go on without having much of a wait, and the show quality is better than Monsters, Inc (again, in my opinion). Basically what I'm saying is that we should appreciate what's there as opposed to what's not there.

As for the queue, here's a thought- with NextGen coming to DLR in the future (according to what's been reported by Al), could it be possible that part of the outdoor queue might be used for an interactive experience? Sure, the fact that the attraction is a walk-on pretty regularly might be a clear argument as to why TLM doesn't need an interactive queue, but maybe WDI already had plans just like they did for Luigi's Flying Tires and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (both of which opened with the standard queues that we're all used to).

Just some food for thought.
    Please check out my E-Ticket attraction, The Time of My Life!
    http://tcox91.tumblr.com

•   

I'm told that after Disneyland closed at 7 today, all the Mermaid queue areas we're talking about were full, and an extended queue was necessary as well. This demonstrates what I was talking about. In cases like Mermaid, a spike in attendance and/or dip in capacity can suddenly result a large number of people standing in line, and Disney needs a place to put them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennor View Post
    Is it really Mr. Limpett? He's not Disney character, is he?
    It's really him. He's actually in the film, too, though he's even harder to spot there.

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by disney4me2001 View Post
    While I agree that some aspects of TLM could have been done better (i.e. expanding the attraction with more scenes), I actually love this attraction...it's my second favorite in DCA, behind RSR (next in line would be ToT, if anyone's wondering). I don't quite get the hate people have for it. I understand that a lot of people are disappointed that it doesn't live up to its full potential, but why not enjoy the attraction for what it is? I, for one, appreciate having a (in my opinion) decent dark ride in DCA that I can go on without having much of a wait, and the show quality is better than Monsters, Inc (again, in my opinion). Basically what I'm saying is that we should appreciate what's there as opposed to what's not there.
    Funny, I actual prefer Monsters, Inc. much more than TLM. I normally ride it two times per visit, and could easily ride it several more times (whereas two rides for TLM is rare). Though I would still like to see it replaced by a new, original ride that better suits the theme of Hollywood Land, I do enjoy the ride itself. I think that the queue is really cute with its various posters and ads imagined for the world of Monstropolis. For me personally, it's pretty effective at making me believe that I'm experiencing that world. Because unlike Mermaid, you are in the story, it's happening all around you and involving you rather than you sitting back and merely observing. The CDA, the news reporter, and Ross all talk directly to the guest and the other characters' dialogue is delivered more directly to the guest. I actually prefer its sets to those of the TLM, in my opinion, they're more immersive and believable, ad there seems to be more attention to detail (like the wall of posters that you pass before the bathroom all have fun things to read even there you are only there for a slight second). Plus, it features a few neat effects like the dissapearing Randal and the door scene whereas TLM uses a screen in many places where they could have created neat special effects. Again, just my personal opinion, but that's why I greatly prefer Monsters, Inc.

•   
    • Minion

I agree, I love the Monsters Inc. ride. Even though we know what was there before, I feel that the Monstropolis theming in the queue, etc. is really clever, the show scenes are a lot of fun (I love the door room) and it's a great dark ride. I'll ride it whenever I'm at DCA if I can.

What disappoints me most about TLM is that we know Disney can do better. We know they can. We've seen it. They came up with a gorgeous show building exterior. The "Under the Sea" room is beautiful. The ride vehicles are fun. The rest...all I can think on that ride is that they just did not meet the potential they could have.

• Minion

the virtual ride on the dvd was a lot better. just saying.
    i'd rather wait in a long line for a good ride than a short wait for a bad ride.
    The Little Mermaid Ride - YouTube
    yep, the dvd version is better, it's 2 stories which saves space. better rid system.

When I rode The Little Mermaid last year the most of the queue was used. I agree with other posts stating that the ride could have been better with the technology available in 2011. With all the hype I was expecting awesome special effects. I'd say leave the queue as is. If they try to do new construction there we probably will see another hefty price increase in tickets.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

While overbuilt, I do appreciate a queue that can keep expanding and taking people so that they don't need to have path queues like the Matterhorn.

• Minion

Please Watch and YOU thought the DCA version was overbuilt?
    Full Ride & Queue: The Little Mermaid in New Fantasyland at Walt Disney World - YouTube

---------- Post added 10-14-2012 at 12:10 PM ----------

plus here's a pic

I think the whole ride was overbuilt! Everytime I walk by every week when i go to DLR and DCA I never see that long of a line. When I went there this past friday it was walk on and DCA was packed mind you. I dont think the ride was a good choice. Its not that popular. They could have used the space for something more interesting
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

Quote Originally Posted by D3COY View Post
    I think the whole ride was overbuilt! Everytime I walk by every week when i go to DLR and DCA I never see that long of a line. When I went there this past friday it was walk on and DCA was packed mind you. I dont think the ride was a good choice. Its not that popular. They could have used the space for something more interesting
    A short line doesn't mean it's not popular. It has a very high capacity.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast