Red Face Advice for the Halloween Party?

Hello MiceChatters! I am headed back to DLR for the second time this year (I feel really lucky) and THIS time we are going to take in the Halloween Party! I have never been to an event at a Disney Resort and would love to hear tips/tricks and advice from seasoned pros. I really have no idea what to expect, other than shorter lines, a different parade and special fireworks. Do lots of adults dress up?

Thanks so much!

Re: Advice for the Halloween Party?

A lot of people do dress up, but not so many as to make the non-costumed feel out of place. One of the most fun things at the party is spotting all the cool and creative costumes! There will be LOTS of candy, so if you feel inclined to indulge, bring a large bag or a backpack. The little plastic bag that DL provides is pretty small. Don't worry if the treat lines look long -- they move quickly. Be prepared that the party may be more crowded than you expect, but it will still be much less crowded than a packed day in the park. Have a great time at the party!

• Dreaming of next trip

Around 50% of the daults dress up, some just have t-shirts that say something like cheep ninja costume (on a black t-shirt) some have costumes that would blow your mind. If you wear a costume make sure that you follow the rules, your eyes must be visable, and a few other rules. I have seen more than one storm trooper carrying their helmet after a while.
    If you like to take photos take your camera and go crazy. Fog on the rivers of America, meet and greets, trick or treat lines and the parade and fire works.
    The best advice I can give is decide what you want to do, there are a lot of things going on so exploring can take a lot of time.

Hi! This will be my fourth year. c:

About 50 percent of the adults dress up. A lot of them wear little hologram skull things they sell on the light up carts, a bunch are in fairly basic, and then the rest are in incredible homemade costumes, ranging from Oogie Boogie to the redhead from POTC.

Lots of candy- I'll get back to you after tomorrow night and say whether or not there's Ghirardelli this year. (I'm going to guess yes, based on the shop in DCA.) But yes, you get tons- especially towards the end of the night.

The 'halloween' rides have the longest lines (but only like, 20 minutes). Otherwise, it's mostly walk ons.

As for tips... I just recommend dressing up! I think it's a lot more fun when everyone's dressed up, and I know a lot of people say they feel weird when they don't. You can do pretty much everything- candy, rides, characters, and dance parties- but most people select 1-2 things they really want to do and stick to them. (ie: moving around the candy trails and stopping to see characters.)

it's incredibly fun. You're going to have a great time!

•   
    • Minion

There's been some great advice on the Halloween Party thus far.

Another thing to remember is that you can enter the park three hours before the party's official start time: if it starts at 7 you can go in at 4; if it starts at 6 you can go in at 3. If you want, you can use that time to focus on rides, and then turn your attention to the Halloween Party exclusives, like the trick or treating, once the park closes and the party officially starts. I personally don't think it's worth it to use the party time to wait on long lines so if Ghost Galaxy/HM/etc. are too busy I would suggest passing them up. After all, you can wait on line for attractions any day at Disneyland; you cannot enjoy the special features every day.

There are some costume guidelines--if you dress like a Disney character, for instance, you cannot pose for photos with other guests and you can't sign autographs--but as the others have said, at least 50% of the adults do dress up. Why not? It's fun.

In addition to the parade/fireworks (which are very different from the ones the regular parkgoers see, and are well worth seeing!!) they also have "dance parties" in a few locations, like Tomorrowland Terrace, they have spooky fog, lighting and projections, etc. (last year they had the Columbia done up like a ghost ship and Frontierland looked good). It's fun to take time just to walk around the park and soak it all in.

• Halloween 2011

Fast Pass does not operate during the event. All attractions are stand-by. Longest queues were for HMH and SM:GG, easily topping over an hour. Star Tours was about 40 minutes. Tip: book over to an attraction after fireworks when most parents take the kiddies home. I did and walked on HMH. Toontown, Tom Sawyer's Island and all Rivers of America traffic are not operational during the event.

Avoid the trick-or-treat lines which are long and snake throughout the park (unless you REALLY like tootsie rolls). Cast members will shove more candy at you at the exit gates. MAKE SURE the line you are in is intended for your destination: one line completely cut off Tomorrowland's entrance, and I almost mistook another for the Space Mountain queue.

Villains seemed to average about a 30-40 minute wait. If they're face characters, the wait may be longer as they like to chat (ESPECIALLY Dr Facilier).

I wasn't impressed by the Costume Cavalcade parade, but watched it anyway. Avoided the second show. Fireworks are Amazing and a do-not-miss event.

As others have said, maybe 50% of adults are in costume, most of them with a costume accessory (bobble antennaes or neon skull plaques hung around their necks). Maybe 20% or less of the adults go all out.

Thanks everyone! I am so excited!

Is the special Space Mountain overlay only available during the party? Or will we be able to see the attraction during one of our other days at the park? We will be spending 3 additional days at the parks during our stay...

It is available during regular hours as well. We're planning two days with the party on one of the nights. I'm thinking of doing GG during the day to get it out if the way and to enjoy the party after.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by klowvah View Post
    Thanks everyone! I am so excited!

Is the special Space Mountain overlay only available during the party? Or will we be able to see the attraction during one of our other days at the park? We will be spending 3 additional days at the parks during our stay...
    Ghost Galaxy--that is the Space Mountain overlay--is open every day, it isn't just a special party thing. So you can ride it at any time just like any other park attraction. It will be there until early November, when the regular Space Mountain returns.

The same is true for the other Halloween overlay attraction--Haunted Mansion Holiday. That one is around until January, and is also available during all park hours.

Ghost Galaxy has FastPass available during regular park hours (not the party); Haunted Mansion does not.