Thread: Purity of theme

Purity of theme

I've brought this up before, elsewhere, but I think this group is far more vocal and opinionated so I'm hoping for some good thought provocation.

My rant is against characters, attractions and details in a land that don't really fit the theme of it.

The first example that comes to mind (after having been inspired by Modhatter in another post) is having Woody over in Frontierland. He's a cartoon character from a modern-day story. Same thing for having Buzz in Tomorrowland. Don't they both belong in Fantasyland? Same thing would go for Finding Nemo in Tomorrowland. In what way does a fish story have to do with the challenge and promise of the future?

Shouldn't Tomorrowland be exclusively about vehicles, technology and concepts that are imagined to be part of human society in the future and nothing else?

And shouldn't Frontierland be exclusively about the way Americans lived back during the westward expansion days, in the 1800s, and nothing else? It bugs me to see brightly-colored, costumed characters (well... okay, aside from Goofy or Donald) making themselves at home in a place that wasn't originally meant for them.

Or maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.

Anyone else?
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Reaver of Souls

I agree. I always saw Tomorrowland as a permanent World's Fair. A dream of what the future could be. I think the rides and attractions were meant to teach and inform, as well as entertain. These days anything that does any teachin is looked down on. DL was built as an educational tool, as well as an entertainment center. When kids didn't understand, they'd actuall *gasp!* ask their parents. Thus the family interaction. It may be that we're moving out of the time of such innocent family fun, but that doesn't mean we have to cater to the lowest common denominator. We can still have a smart, creative environment that is fun at the same time, can't we?
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• What have I done?

I agree but maybe this is being over analyzed? Disneyland was built on imagination so why cant our future be a fight against a robotic emporror and where we be-freind green aliens or our past have walking western dolls? Now for Finding Nemo/ Subs I think that all remains to be seen. I ahve faith in CM Matt and the imagineers.

Just a thought.

"This guy!"

• Minion

There is something to the theme purity argument...I agree..However one could argue that the Autopia should be in Fantasyland and not tomorrowland (there used to be a Fantasyland version years ago). Does Autopia really belong in Tomorrowland? Maybe in 1955 but not in 2005.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool
    There is something to the theme purity argument...I agree..However one could argue that the Autopia should be in Fantasyland and not tomorrowland (there used to be a Fantasyland version years ago). Does Autopia really belong in Tomorrowland? Maybe in 1955 but not in 2005.
    It would belong there if they were hover cars! Inertial dampeners, mag-lift drives! I'd actually WANT to go on them then!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.