Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb Mickey's Toontown updates

I've read on how a lot of people like Mickey's Toontown and others so don't that they want it removed and replaced with an expansion of Fantasyland. I'm one of the people who think that Mickey's Toontown should be saved at all costs, not only because it is here that this is the "home" of Mickey and the gang, but also because it's just so wonderful. However, I do agree that it needs a lot of touching up here and there. I also agree that several attractions should be replaced by other attractions. I will post my ideas later, but for now, what are your thoughts?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Nic

Re: Mickey's Toontown updates

Amen. Toontown is a great land.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Under that tree again!

I could go either way. If Fantasyland needs more room to make better use of the land so be it. If Toontown, which is faded a bit from it's original state was kept up better for better utilization I would like it much more. Toontown adds another unique land.

• Just drawn that way

I love ToonTown. They have one of the best coasters in the park and I love Roger Rabbit's Cartoon spin! If anything get rid of the Theatre to expand Fantasyland.

• Keepin' it calsteady

I don't love Toontown, but it's preferable to an enlarged Fantasyland. People who've never been to Disneyland with a little kid are unlikely to realize that the land serves a purpose and does a good job as a safe place scaled for little ones. As with Autopia I'm sure Toontown could be replaced with rides or attractions I would like more, but the last thing Disneyland should try to do is design the park to please nostalgic, childless 30somethings!

Yes to improving Toontown (and everywhere else, of course), but yes, too, to keeping it as a kid-scale land. Oh, and don't mess with Roger Rabbit unless you're making the cars easier to spin faster and faster and faster!

No Fantasyland expansion. There's two of them going on now. Enough already. ToonTown could use another family attraction and a decent place to eat. Not sure where you can acquire the space.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

• Just drawn that way

If they get rid of the Store,the play area next to Goofy's house or Roger's Fountain.....You could put in another attraction ...or a sit down dinning place. Other than that there isn't much room backstage to expand.

I've always enjoyed Toontown and would love to see it given some TLC. Again, not everything in Disneyland must be some E-ticket thrill ride. That said, I think Disney could be a little more creative with the spaces currently occupied by Minnie's house, Goofy's house, and Chip 'n' Dale's tree house. Just give us something interesting like some visual gags to look at with these places. Good example would include the "Jessica's Secrets" magazines at Minnie's home and the garden outside Goofy's home.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    I've read on how a lot of people like Mickey's Toontown and others so don't that they want it removed and replaced with an expansion of Fantasyland. I'm one of the people who think that Mickey's Toontown should be saved at all costs, not only because it is here that this is the "home" of Mickey and the gang, but also because it's just so wonderful. However, I do agree that it needs a lot of touching up here and there. I also agree that several attractions should be replaced by other attractions. I will post my ideas later, but for now, what are your thoughts?
    I would get rid of the Princess Fantasy Theater and use that space to expand Toontown. With the extra space I would redo Toontown. I would demolish the whole dining area and move Goofy's house and Donald's boat over there so that all the toon houses are next to each other. Then in the new space of the former Theater I would add an indoor dining area and a Gummi Bears coaster/dark ride where you sit in the quick tunnel carts and zip through the underground tunnels of Gummi Glen. I would also get rid of one of the stores and build a toontown "tourist" information area where you see videos of life in toontown and supposed historical pictures of how the land has changed. These historical pictures would be of scenes from the beloved cartoon shorts made by Disney himself. This is just a rough draft so to speak, if I get more ideas or come up with ways to improve these, then I'll come back and add to the post.

• Keepin' it calsteady

One thing to keep in mind is that the footprint of Toontown is a tiny part of the park. I would guesstimate based on looking at it on Google Earth that an E-Ticket ride would take up at least a third of the entire area. The increased guest traffic attracted by an E-Ticket would be tough for Toontown to handle, too.

Since I'm neither a pre-teen girl nor a Character Hugging Disneyland Nerd, I'd happily replace the Fantasyland Theater with something more exciting. The railroad tracks that run between Gadget's Go-Coaster and the Theater would be an obstacle to uniting the two areas (or it could be a cool feature if the lawyers signed off on having pedestrians crossing the tracks). Taking over the Theater could mean a second entrance/exit to Toontown which would help the traffic pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that the footprint of Toontown is a tiny part of the park. I would guesstimate based on looking at it on Google Earth that an E-Ticket ride would take up at least a third of the entire area. The increased guest traffic attracted by an E-Ticket would be tough for Toontown to handle, too.

Since I'm neither a pre-teen girl nor a Character Hugging Disneyland Nerd, I'd happily replace the Fantasyland Theater with something more exciting. The railroad tracks that run between Gadget's Go-Coaster and the Theater would be an obstacle to uniting the two areas (or it could be a cool feature if the lawyers signed off on having pedestrians crossing the tracks). Taking over the Theater could mean a second entrance/exit to Toontown which would help the traffic pattern.
    I was originally thinking of using the space for the Fantasyland Theater as a new space for Mickey's PhilharMagic. I wonder how much space it would take if we did put an alternate route in and out of Toontown? If it didn't fit there, I could put it over by where the Motor Boat Cruise is (however, I would have to be careful with the monorail tracks). Maybe the alternate exit could lead out into Frontierland, near where the rumored new attraction is going to go.

Anyway, here's the first thing I would do: I would replace the current radio music loop called W.A.C.K.Y. Radio, which is heard in the queue for the Roger Rabbit ride and in Mickey and Minnie's houses. It would now be replaced with a new radio music loop, entitled K.R.A.Z.Y. Radio.

The reason I replaced the radio station name (from "wacky" to "krazy") is because K radio stations are west of the Mississippi (where California is) and W stations on the east (where Florida is). So I had to come up with something similar to "wacky", and "crazy" was the closest I could come up with. So I just replaced the C with a K. Pretty clever, huh? The new radio jingle will be the same, however: "Put a happy smile on your radio dial with K.R.A.Z.Y., Krazy Radio Toontown!"

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

I will now get into the first part of my updating of Mickey's Toontown. Before I do that, though, my main concern is that it's become too pacified by lawyers who wouldn't know fun if it came up and bit them in the butt. Another concern is that there is too few things for anyone without children to do, short of Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin and, to a lesser extent, Mickey and Minnie's houses. So that's what this overhaul is all about: to scrap several smaller attractions and replace them with more worthwhile things to do. In the end, only the things between the mice's homes and the Roger Rabbit ride will be what's left of the "old" Toontown. Granted, that's a lot of the "old" Toontown retained, but things beyond that will be removed and replaced. And even the things left of the "old" Toontown will get an update.

So now, here is the first part of the overhaul: Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin. This ride will receive a few minor updates, mostly in the queue. First of all, you know how in the queue there are several license plates whose jumbles of letters and numbers form the names of various Disney things? Well, the plate that reads FAN T C will be replaced by one reading FAN T ZA (meaning "Fantasia"). The year on that one will still be 1938. But the most attention will be on the second set of plates:

Two brand-new plates will be added to this set, each with its own respective year. One is at the very top of the set (almost touching the ceiling) and the other is below the 1D N PTR one and next to the IM L8 one. The one on the very top will read ALADN (meaning "Aladdin"), its displayed year being 1940. And the one near the bottom will read DONL DUK (meaning "Donald Duck"), its year being 1934.

Elsewhere in the ride, a new radio broadcast on Baby Herman's radio will be featured, played on the new K.R.A.Z.Y. Radio (which I had already talked about above).

Anyway, in the ride itself, there will be the sounds of cartoon tires squealing here and there, and in the scene with the evil laughing clowns, an additional laughing sound is heard, sounding very much like the laughing hyena sound from It's a Small World. Actually, I got the idea from watching "Disneyland USA" and hearing this laugh coming from the old Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• Keepin' it calsteady

We're on different sides of this issue. I don't think it's a problem that Toontown doesn't offer a lot to do for people who aren't kids, I think that's the strength of Toontown. If you're a non-kid you walk up there, go on the excellent Roger Rabbit and then move on to the rest of the park where there are many, many ride and attractions for non-kids to enjoy.

Here's the next part of the Toontown updates of mine:

Various elements of Toontown
    All effects of the gags, such as the smoke from the Fireworks Factory and the dog in the fire department will be revived and updated where necessary. The bars of the Dog Pound will be fixed up to be more flexible and less... uh, lopsided.

The Jolly Trolley
    In the interest of the Horse-Drawn Streetcars on Main Street and the upcoming Red Car Trolleys at the California Adventure, the Jolly Trolley will be brought back from the dead. There will also be tastefully-done streetlights to control the flow of traffic through the area and allow the trolleys to travel freely. Or we could do things how they do things for the Horse-Drawn Streetcars. Whatever they do for similar rides, can be done for the Jolly Trolley.

Toontown City Hall
    At the top of every hour, not unlike the clock tower at Small World, the clock atop City Hall will play the Mickey Mouse Club March via the figures of Mickey and Roger in the cannons and playing their horns. Sometimes, but not all the time, a random Disney character will come out into Toontown through the City Hall. Usually, it will be a familiar face like Donald, Goofy or Pluto, but once in a while, as a special treat, it will be a rarer character.

More to come!

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• Just drawn that way

I'd rather not get rid of the Go Coaster, Its a fun ride. Just let people go around twice!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast