Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Disneyman

Re: DLR Sept 24-29 Fun in the Sun and the First MHP [**WARNING: Strong Opinions Ahead

Thanks for the report, JMazz! I was there all last week as well. I was very disappointed in the crowds. We had planned these dates because we figured the resort would be rather empty. It seemed worse than June crowds at times! Friday morning was a sweet surprise, however. When we got to the rope drop, there were only a handful of people waiting, and my family and I literally walked on every E-ticket ride in Disneyland plus a few within the first hour and a half. Maybe few people realized it opened at 8 am that day?

Anyway, Friday night was horrific. Everyone was ushered out of DL and into DCA and it was a nightmare. We left pretty quickly. I felt cheated that I had payed good money for my family to go to Disneyland, and we were ushered out of the park and told that if we wanted to stay the rest of the evening that we had to purchase an additional admission ticket for each member of my family. Wait a minute!.....I already paid.

I was also disappointed that EVERY DAY was a magic morning admission to both parks! We had no chance to beat the crowds because they were already there before the park even opened......every day. I could see maybe every other day, or maybe alternating between the two parks, but magic mornings every day for both parks? That irritated me.

Bottom line, we really enjoyed our trip, but I feel like Disney is too much about the money now, and there are too many things happening (Halloween parties, magic mornings every day, etc). I'd like a chance of beating the crowds, but Disney only gives that opportunity to those who are willing to spend more.
    "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

Re: DLR Sept 24-29 Fun in the Sun and the First MHP [**WARNING: Strong Opinions Ahead

I don't see how it's so hard to fix. They have remote notification devices for dining reservations; just use something similar for the GACs. When the wait time is equal to that of the non-disabled guests there will be much less appeal to use it unless it's really needed...

• DL College Program 97/98

By the way, were you able to leave the Halloween party and re-enter? I remember that was an issue you were trying to figure out in advance.

I'm going to check out the Hungry Bear on my next trip. I used to love to hang out at the Gallery, where Dream Suite is located, and I need a new happy place at Disneyland.

• some assembly required

I did kinda skip over the MHP in my report, I think I was just getting tired of typing.

It was crowded. But we figured it would be the MOST crowded part of our trip. It was crowded from late afternoon to close. Since we were exhausted by this time on out trip, we took it in stride. The SS parade was out of whack (time wise). And that's the day we were blocked by the parade route and just caved in and sat there - well... stood there. The timing was off b/c DL closed early this day for the non-event guests.

This is when BTMRR had most of its' issues (as mentioned in my post). Space had some of the same issues, plus a line that was pushing an hour (remember there was no FP - so there was a "level" playing field). They weren't filling the trains. I think one of the CMs at the top level wasn't sending down enough guests to the station. We departed the train and noticed that the line was gone! The CM was holding guests on the upper level, but why? Also I assume that the person working the load was too slow. He/She couldn't fill the slots fast enough. Almost every train had 1-3 empty rows. That really adds up! Anyone know what was going on that night?

With the crowds out of control, DL did soak them up ok most of the night, at least better than we expected! Those candy lines were long as were the M&G lines (we didn't do either).

The fireworks were worth the price according to dear SO. We saw them from SWMall. We hadn't ever been that close to fireworks before. The projections are bigger on the facade than the castle. We didn't get the same pyro FX as the castle, but when they launch, we simply looked towards the castle (behind trees), we loved it!

The magic hour was the time from the end of the fireworks to closing. Many ppl left, or made there way to the last parade (costume parade) and then left. So we bounced from e-ticket to e-ticket using the last of our strength (LOL) during that time. Due to costumes I suppose, Splash had a near walk-on all night and double and triple rides at the last couple hours. For the last 35 min of the night, we went on Splash over and over, with one last trip (the final trip of the night) to HMH before we walked out of the park. Oh the insanity of doing Splash that many times in a row made us laugh maniacalllly! And using a tip from MC, we found the bullet hole on HMH (ignore the background of the ballroom and set your eyes on the garland). My SO said that I ruined it for him! Yikes! But what was mentioned in his TR elsewhere? Yup, that darn bullet hole. So now I know I didn't ruin it for him!

The Halloweentime decor was a bit thin during the week, but the party decor was outstanding. I put a pic up of the old cave from the old mine train in the OP. It shows the fog and glowing lights.

They used "disco" fog in Frontierland, Adventureland, and Fantasyland. However, the ROA was water vapor (I think) and comes from F! ??? Someone help me out here, I haven't seen this show so I am not sure if that is true.

At Fantasyland, the fog machines seemed kinda random, but it was a nice effect anyway.

I was more impressed by the projection all night long on the MSRR Station than the castle.

Many of the trees were lit up to near-xmas caliber. There were also random spinning projections on the ground: BOO! - a ghost - many spiderwebs - random spirals

At one point, a kid screamed MICKEY! And we were both mauled by families and ppl of all ages. It was quite funny. It made us very aware from that point onward of where characters were when they became close to us, esp when they were coming up behind us like Mickey did.

I saw some ppl with TONS of cany, I mean it was spilling out everywhere. Out of bags, out of large bags, even out of strollers! Good for them. It isn't our thing, but I hope those ppl use it for passing out on Oct 31st, that means their $55-$65 ticket just paid for their H'ween stash!!! ...and then some!

As for the GAC comments, I'm not going there in this thread. We can take it elsewhere. I will say that I was not focusing on anyone in particular, and I work with the community, I try to make a better life for many others. As someone else posted (sorry, i forgot who and i am too lazy now to look), they said that it affects others who need GAC. This is so true. If you read this and you genuinely need GAC, then you are golden. But for groups (as mentioned in my OP) to rent scooters and then head to the park? That is stroking the system and taking up space - a footprint more than 2x your standing footprint. You may have just ruined someone's granny's last visit to the happiest place on earth... yikes, it's hard not to get sucked into a debate here.

---------- Post added 10-02-2012 at 04:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeder View Post
    Thanks for the report, JMazz! I was there all last week as well. I was very disappointed in the crowds. We had planned these dates because we figured the resort would be rather empty. It seemed worse than June crowds at times! Friday morning was a sweet surprise, however. When we got to the rope drop, there were only a handful of people waiting, and my family and I literally walked on every E-ticket ride in Disneyland plus a few within the first hour and a half. Maybe few people realized it opened at 8 am that day?
    LOL! We slept in. That was day # 5 for us (well, 4.5) ...we needed some sleep. And we arrived by noon and the heat sent us to the hotel. We went again just as they were allowing the wristbands (the overlap).

Where were you on 9-26 (Wednesday), when both park hours were extended. How did you manage that insanity?

---------- Post added 10-02-2012 at 05:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sgtfox View Post
    By the way, were you able to leave the Halloween party and re-enter? I remember that was an issue you were trying to figure out in advance.
    YES.
    Thx for the reminder.
    No issue what-so-ever. We left to find a friend, returned to a massive line, got in w/ no prob.

---------- Post added 10-02-2012 at 05:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by whamo View Post
    I'm going to check out the Hungry Bear on my next trip. I used to love to hang out at the Gallery, where Dream Suite is located, and I need a new happy place at Disneyland.
    This is sooooo my "happy" place.
    It is strange. If you look at one of my pics in the OP (excuse it b/c it is quite blurry), you can make out that there are a ton of guests on the main deck (upper) of HB, but the back deck (upper) isn't really used much. It's like ppl want to be near the restaurant window. I don't get it, but I appreciate it. It gave us a quite spot at the busiest of times and I got to commune w/ the ducks. They love sweet'tater fries in case you were wondering! But please don't feed them turkey (someone did this and we were horrified) LMBO!!!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Quote Originally Posted by Reeder View Post

Anyway, Friday night was horrific. Everyone was ushered out of DL and into DCA and it was a nightmare. We left pretty quickly. I felt cheated that I had payed good money for my family to go to Disneyland, and we were ushered out of the park and told that if we wanted to stay the rest of the evening that we had to purchase an additional admission ticket for each member of my family. Wait a minute!.....I already paid.

I was also disappointed that EVERY DAY was a magic morning admission to both parks! We had no chance to beat the crowds because they were already there before the park even opened......every day. I could see maybe every other day, or maybe alternating between the two parks, but magic mornings every day for both parks? That irritated me.

Bottom line, we really enjoyed our trip, but I feel like Disney is too much about the money now, and there are too many things happening (Halloween parties, magic mornings every day, etc). I'd like a chance of beating the crowds, but Disney only gives that opportunity to those who are willing to spend more.
    I think magic morning's ended now. It will be every other morning for the parks from here on out until maybe summer?

• TJ

I was at Disneyland last Wednesday after noon, and it was not abnormally crowded at all. I am a local Disney addict and tend to go to the parks 2-3 times a week, and trust me... you should have seen the crowds during the summer. It's obviously going to be a bit more crowded than previous years because of the park expansion, but Wednesday was honestly not crowded at all, so you shouldn't be too critical. Not too many schools were out... Like I said, I am a local, and only select public high schools had the Jewish holiday off.

I agree with you on the GAC's. A lot of high school students in the area hear about the card from word of mouth, from kids telling each other than you can lie for a special "front of the line pass." It's ridiculous, people will make up random disabilities and management can't deny them... but something I have seen cast members do is that when they sense people are lying about having a disability, they will give them a wheelchair card to go through the exit which sometimes takes longer than the standby line... versus an alternate entrance card.
    I don't think they should go as far as asking guests for documentation from a doctor or something, but they need to be much more careful about who they give assistance to.

•   
    • Minion

FANTASTIC trip report!! Thank you!! I loved hearing about the Halloween Party and I'm already excited for my trip.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    I think magic morning's ended now. It will be every other morning for the parks from here on out until maybe summer?
    Since we seemed to arrive minutes after rope-drop, we didn't notice the effects of this event. It just seemed like they were doing brisk business from morning til night.

At DCA, we never did get a FP for RSR. The one morning we started at DCA, the insane Wednesday, they were out before 1040am!!! So we did single rider and waited about 25min.

RANT: if you are going to do single rider, plz don't beg the CM to not be split from your party. A mother freaked out that her kid was going into a different car. What did she think it meant? If you give her the benefit of the doubt, there are few signs explaining the SRL process, so Disney needs to fix this by placing more signs up near/in RSR.

---------- Post added 10-02-2012 at 05:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TjGilmour View Post
    I was at Disneyland last Wednesday after noon, and it was not abnormally crowded at all. I am a local Disney addict and tend to go to the parks 2-3 times a week, and trust me... you should have seen the crowds during the summer. It's obviously going to be a bit more crowded than previous years because of the park expansion, but Wednesday was honestly not crowded at all, so you shouldn't be too critical. Not too many schools were out... Like I said, I am a local, and only select public high schools had the Jewish holiday off.
    Well it was enough to extend the park hours at both parks by one hour, something they didn't do on any other day.

LA and OC had short days for kids at school. There were also others schools that had a full holiday. Upon doing some research, we found that Apple Valley and Las Vegas had days off. And like I said, we saw that RSR FP were gone by 1040am.

Was it crowded compared to summer? No, prob not. But it was crowded and they were not prep'd for it or staffed for it. We saw them add two trains to CS. IMO, this should have been done before the park opened (makes me wonder what else needed more vehicles). MFW, IMO you cannot run this properly with only a handful of CMs (one for swinging right and stationary, one for swinging left, one for exiting all gondolas, and assisting GACs). Eateries were not properly staffed. Many had one CM working two sides of a line. There should have been at least two CMs working the 4 sides of the line.

EDIT: don't get me started on the WOC free-for-all for the 815pm showing. The crowd control was almost non-existant.

Upshot- there were two CMs that we saw on BVS near the gates handing out free name brand waters. We didn't get any, but it was nice to know that they were helping over-heated guests.
    Last edited by JMazz; 10-02-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

I have not seen anyone mention this but I wanted you to know that you don't even have to have a GAC. Anyone can rent a scooter and use the key to actually access non handicapped accessible rides via the ride exit. My dad has bad rheumatoid arthritis and cannot walk or stand for long periods of time. The last two trips we have rented a scooter for him and it has been a big help. In the past he has always tried to tough it out and I can't stand to see him in pain so I rented the scooter. I get angry when I see big groups of people going with a handicapped person. I saw as many as 15 accompanying one handicapped individual. There is a cap but it is not enforced. There are definately abusers out there who make it bad for everyone. My biggest complaint is that people do not look where they or walking or just don't care and walk right into my dad. I am putting glow sticks to make him more visible for the Halloween party and hopefully that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by whamo View Post
    As JMazz said - keep walking to the right of the food windows and keep going. Way in the back is a seating area that has a River on one side and the train on the other - it's very nice in the evening when the restaurant is open late. Also back there are steps to get to the lower level. If you take these steps you get to a short walkway that is right on the water - near the ducks. It's a beautiful spot.

FYI the lemon honey cupcakes at HB are GREAT. A bit pricey at $5 each, but worth it once at least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12