Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anaheim Garden Walk Question - Near Downtown Disney?

Hi - Just checked out the Candy Cane motel site and saw a big banner ad for this. It says its walking distance from the Candy Cane and I guess the park as well?

A few trips back while on the shuttle bus, we went through some areas where the sidewalks were all boarded up, I think the east side of Harbor. Is that where this place is?

competition for downtown Disney?

Would love info/comments on this place

The Shops at Anaheim GardenWalk | Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in Orange County

Re: Anaheim Garden Walk Question - Near Downtown Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by patton45 View Post
    Hi - Just checked out the Candy Cane motel site and saw a big banner ad for this. It says its walking distance from the Candy Cane and I guess the park as well?

A few trips back while on the shuttle bus, we went through some areas where the sidewalks were all boarded up, I think the east side of Harbor. Is that where this place is?

The Shops at Anaheim GardenWalk | Shopping, Dining, Entertainment in Orange County
    its about a mile away. most of the shops close pretty early and the ones that are open are kinda on the ghetto/rip off side. the movie theater is nice though if its still open

GardenWalk is an outdoor mall of sorts (shopping, movies, dining, etc.). It is about a 10 minute walk from the Candy Cane (go south on Harbor, east on Katella, 5 minute walk, voila!). The restaurants do much better business than the other establishments, from what I've heard. I wouldn't consider it "competition" for DtD, more like an alternative for chain restaurants if you want to go off property for a bit. The restaurants include Roy's, Cheesecake Factory, Bubba Gump's, CPK -- places that are not found on property, so it can be a nice option, especially for meeting friends who aren't staying at the parks (e.g. Roy's has a happy hour). There are coupons for some places in the tourist booklets in the hotel lobbies and some restaurants offer AP discounts.

• My Children's Father

Anywhere in the world is walking distance, if you leave early enough.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Based on the weather right now I wouldn't walk there. That being said, I prefer to food choices at Gardenwalk to Downtown Disney by quite a bit.

• Parking Lot > DCA

The GardenWalk seems to constantly be facing it's demise. It's not great shopping wise as most places close pretty early and half of the place isn't even leased out to anything still. Food-wise, there is a California Pizza Kitchen, a PF Changs, Bubba Gump's Shrimp Co, Ray's, among a few other nice places to eat.

Personally, I'd pick any of those restaurants over anywhere in DTD anyday. If it's a close enough walk to your hotel (or shuttle even) I'd try it out!

• Rock Star Minion

Seems to be all franchises. And the other places deeper in (away from Katella) seem to be more like "Bar with some food."

Bowling alley looked pretty cool. It has a few private lanes, for "VIP" parties, I guess.

As soon as the price is right, Disney should scoop it up, expand the monorail to include it as a stop (if such a thing is allowed) on its way to the ARTIC train station (and fourth! theme park on maybe-soon-to-be-former Angels Stadium, according to one of the wilder rumors around here).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Seems to be all franchises. And the other places deeper in (away from Katella) seem to be more like "Bar with some food."

Bowling alley looked pretty cool. It has a few private lanes, for "VIP" parties, I guess.

As soon as the price is right, Disney should scoop it up, expand the monorail to include it as a stop (if such a thing is allowed) on its way to the ARTIC train station (and fourth! theme park on maybe-soon-to-be-former Angels Stadium, according to one of the wilder rumors around here).
    i have read a few places that that actually may be a plan

• Down Pluto!

From Candy Cane Inn - it is WAY closer than DTD.

It's less than 1600 ft...
    Last edited by Sambo; 10-01-2012 at 08:12 PM.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Greetings, Program!

Wouldn't bother unless you're staying very close by and you've just plain run out of things to do. Took a walk thru one night. Snoooooooooooze.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Functional & Decorative

Haven't been there in a bit, but if Fire & Ice is still there, I would recommend that. It's a high end Mongolian BBQ place with seafood, burgers, and hot dogs options in a addition to the usual.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

• Disney Mom

We usually go to Bubba Gump, since there isn't one in Arizona. It isn't to bad of a walk if you are staying on the Katella side of the park. We have walked from The Red Lion and Anahiem Plaza Inn with no problem. The walk Anaheim Fairfield Marriot would be a bit much, too far north. We are staying at Alpine Inn next week and will probably walk from there. Not really a fan of the restaurants in Downtown Disney.

I love pf changs

•   
    • Banned User

I've seen it there for a while and always wondered what was in there, so last year I finally made a point of going in there. Wow. What a disappointment. It was a ghost town. Everything about it could be defined by one word, "disjointed."

The appearance of a bowling alley in a mall predominantly occupied by upscale snooty trendy stores is disjointed. I don't care how nice that bowling alley is, it's just a weird mix. The theater is huge and is probably one of the only two eyehooks visible from the street, Bubba Gump being the other. Usually a mall has a mix of affordable and practical stores but this place is almost all upscale, highly specialized boutiques for the "above middle class." ( They hate it when you call them rich. )

Want a fun mall? Try the Spectrum at I-5 and 405. There's a good mix of things going on there.

Even the mall which I feel is the epitome of high-falutin' L.A. lifestyle ( Hollywood and Highland ) is populated by an active mix of stores that apply to a variety of interests. I can spend several hours in that place.

The Anaheim Garden Walk is a lot like being behind the scenes in Westworld or Futureworld. Kinda of scary.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by patton45 View Post

The Garden Walk is directly across from Disneyland Resort on Harbor and most of the garden walk can be seen on Katella as well.. Not sure what you mean by boarded up sidewalks on harbor. It is in walking distance from the parks, maybe like 10 min walk.

Garden walk has a theater, a bowling alley, shops, places to eat, bars. It's not competition for Downtown Disney, in fact you could take the bowling balls from the bowling alley and roll them down the center of the Garden Walk and not hit anyone!!! That's how un-busy it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast