• Sock Puppet

Re: No more annual passes in 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Roughly 50..

NICE.

• Rock Star Minion

Oh, my.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by mekchin View Post
    I heard a rumor from that annual passes may be eliminated in 2013. The reason is because the average annual passholder does not spend as much money while in the parks as a tourist. I certainly hope this rumor is not true. Has anyone else heard this? I know if I can't buy an annual pass I will not go to the parks more than once a year. I will also stop collecting Disney. The bright side - I will save a lot of money!
    I doubt very much that they will end annual passes. It has been rumored that they have considered calling them "memberships" at some point. Maybe that is what is being considered, ie, they wouldn't be AP's anymore, but memberships. That sounds more likely to me.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Or, drop the two uppper tiers and raise the prices of the lower tiers to the current upper tier prices.
    If AP program is for filling the parks in the off-season, then selling APs with no blocked-out days contradicts that goal.

Also, lower the prices of one-day tickets. That will make the AP less of a "bargain" to many.
    This is what I was thinking, esp the bolded statement. After a year of being at $87/$125, dropping to ~$80/~$100 would help create the appearance of more value. Couple this with the rise in PAP price, and block-outs for PAP, and eliminating all other tiers will help too. Maybe have two tiers since the perception of "I'm better than you" & "others cannot be better than me" often sells more items (in this case, APs).
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• terrifiednerds.com

They may as well dump them. They're to expensive now, anyhow. Maybe if it were the Disneyland of a few years back I would get one. But not the Tarzan Treehouse, Finding Nemo, overpriced monstrosity that it has become.

I live in New Mexico and I plan on purchasing an AP, for three trips to DLR next year. In the long run it saves me over 600 bucks.

Please, Disneyland, get rid of the payment plan for APs. If you can't afford to pay for a pass up front, you can't afford it. This would take care of over-crowding, for sure.

I really don't care for annual passes. The holders over use the attractions and shows to the detriment of the vacation visitor. I hold no blame for them wanting to enjoy themselves, but you need capacity controls to ensure everyone gets a chance. If they do away with it, fine, or sell season tickets just like sports. You get so many during the year. This would cut down on the daily visitors that don't spend a dime.

Now if they wanted to discontinue the Silver Pass.....

Quote Originally Posted by TONY THE BEAT View Post
    HAHAHA If this was true DL would loose so much money with how many APers there are. They make way too much on them. It'd be like them saying, "No please don't give us your money any more."
    Around the first of this year I had heard that between the Premium and Deluxe AP holders, there are just over 1,000,000 of us and I doubt that Disney is willing to toss that income out the window. The other passes could may be put on the chopping block without hurting their income BUT the top two AP's? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Also, our rides get more refurbs than the ones at WDW by a longshot and that IS because of the AP community: if Matterhorn is closed for six months, well, we can come back in six months. At WDW if a ride is closed for six months, most visitors will just miss out on it because they aren't coming back.
    We don't get more refurbs because of the AP community. There's no truth to that at all.

Disneyland gets more refurbishments because it has more attractions and because the attendance patterns change more than at WDW. The park's capacity is determined based on the number of operating attractions. At Magic Kingdom when a major ride goes down it severely impacts their ability to accommodate guests. A lesser reason is the fact that most visitors are tourists, not locals, who expect to be able to experience the rides. Capacity is the #1 reason.

All of the four theme parks in Florida are light on attractions. Disneyland and California Adventure have an advantage of having plenty, so in the off-season if they close down a few rides there are still plenty to keep guests busy.

---------- Post added 10-10-2012 at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    ^Instead of raising the price, how else would you limit it?
    They should drop the Southern California pass, raise the price on the Southern California Select, drop Select from name, but keep the same blockout dates and eliminate park hopping privileges on that pass. Make that a 1-park pass that you chose which park to visit.

Another idea would be to put some blockout dates on the parking pass upgrade for Deluxe passports. They could make you pay to park on a few of the days when your pass is still valid to reduce demand on the parking, encourage passholders to carpool and make you think about whether you really want to attend since there is a price (cost of parking).

Another idea is to impose entry restrictions. On select days make it so the passholders first entry to the park must be before a certain time for the pass to be valid for the day. This would extend the length of stay and likely increase spending on F&B, plus help to eliminate the late day crunch that crushes operations.

One of the primary goals should be to move people up to the next higher priced pass, eliminate the lowest price tier and maybe thin out the ranks some. The parks could then market to the lost passholders, who are casual, not serious, and very price conscious with locals only promotions during slower periods of the year. In other words offer them a multi-day ticket valid over a period of time for a lesser price, but ultimately this will be a higher price point on a per visit basis. This would encourage visits during slower times and encourage a longer length of stay, which in turn should increase in park spending from these users.

• Nic

Southern California Passes should be the one that gets the price increase in the winter - those are the people that go very frequently.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I believe those are the key words. Until there is something official, we should all just assume it is business as usual with APs.
    Agreed. I just received a renewal letter in the mail, so I doubt that it will be discontinued.

---------- Post added 10-10-2012 at 05:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Moviela View Post
    I really don't care for annual passes. The holders over use the attractions and shows to the detriment of the vacation visitor. I hold no blame for them wanting to enjoy themselves, but you need capacity controls to ensure everyone gets a chance. If they do away with it, fine, or sell season tickets just like sports. You get so many during the year. This would cut down on the daily visitors that don't spend a dime.

Now if they wanted to discontinue the Silver Pass.....
    So if you don't care, don't purchase one. How can the holders over use the attractions and shows to the detriment of the the vacation visitor? That makes no sense whatsoever.

This rumor comes around every few years and has almost reached the level of urban legend. APers cost the park money, they don't buy anything, they displace paying customers, etc. But APers make some financial sense. They are a steady stream of revenue. With the recent price hike, there should be a leveling of APers vs revenue (less APers paying more); from what I have seen and read, the do spend money, just not at a rate that out-of-towners might. But an APer that comes 12 times a year may spend more than a visitor who comes for three days once a year from New York; APers are not compelled to spend the entire day at the park - after all they can come back. Many go for a few hours and leave.

Many parks have an annual pass (Sea World, Knotts, Universal, Six Flags.) If it was something to drop, why didn't they?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Southern California Passes should be the one that gets the price increase in the winter - those are the people that go very frequently.
    Well, as a SoCal passholder I hope not.

To be fair, the SoCal passes are blocked out quite a lot. The Select pass has only 170 days--that is less than half the year--and it's blocked out for all weekends, all summer, weeks in December, January, February, March and so on...honestly I don't see how it's even worth buying. The Southern California regular pass has 215 days, so it's better, but that is still only about 65% of the year. So there really IS a limit to how frequently a SoCal AP can be there.

• Under that tree again!

Crowds:
    APs severely help crowding issues.

Giving the local a cheap option to visit more than once a year, and then resricting them to only not busy days evens out the crowds.

Increasing the prices of the higher level APs but a lot constricts who buys them. Lowering the go when ever they want crowds.

Take a poll with friends or coworkers. Ask if Disneyland is crowded. You will get a huge moan that it is and lines are huge. The reason is most casual visitors go at peak times. They are what makes those times the busiest. People go when it's most convinient, vacation days and weekends. Those days swell up because of that. They aren't thinking about skipping work and school to go midweek in January when the parks are super slow, they don't know better.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast