Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast

Re: No more annual passes in 2013?

I firmly believe the SoCal passholders are the root of the overcrowding problem at the resort- Many of them meet there after work and take separate cars from their jobs to meet up and help clog the parking garage. Then they enter the park, maybe have a 10$ sno-cone and ride a few rides and go home. For those of us outside the LA Basin it's a much more involved and expensive trip- and yet OUR annual pass is much more unaffordable than theirs. I must take off 2 extra days for travel from Sacramento, pay for the hotel (4 nights) and I always eat at least once at either Blue Bayou, or Big Thunder BBQ- (30$ easily per person).Not to mention the $1000 we drop in souveneir money about 5 times a year. Granted, I could bring my own food and sleep in a cheaper hotel, but treating yourself to the best you can afford is part of the magic. But nowadays, Disneyland has become a place for the super rich to enjoy. Not what Walt wanted at all. I spend all my time either planning how I'm going to afford my next trip, or paying off the previous one. Does Anyone else feel this way or am I nuts? I truly feel, though, that SO Cal people are the root of the problem and that the rest of us should not bear the brunt of the punishment for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by G24T View Post
    I doubt the rumor is true since the marketing geniuses are finding ways to get AP's to spend more (meaningful) time & money in the parks, i.e. Carsland AP preview, Candellight Processional, etc. I wouldn't be surprised though if one or both of the SoCal AP's are discontinued as they are likely the reason for the typically crowded weekends.

---------- Post added 10-10-2012 at 09:35 PM ----------

I Like THAT idea! Any Disney Execs listening/reading out there?! Take a lesson!

I firmly believe the SoCal passholders are the root of the overcrowding problem at the resort-
    Considering the SoCal passes have a LOT of block out dates, including Saturdays, holidays, summer, and most school break times...this is a bit of a stretch. When Disneyland is more likely to be crowded, people with the SoCal passes are equally likely to be blacked out and will not be in the park. Also, if people go after work, then it's most likely in the evening, when crowds are less anyways. And if they go home after a few rides, all the better for everyone else because they won't be contributing to long lines - they'll be the ones saying, hey, I can come back on Wednesday or Thursday night, why wait?

I truly feel, though, that SO Cal people are the root of the problem and that the rest of us should not bear the brunt of the punishment for it.
    I feel like people blaming the pass holders are missing the forest for the trees. Yes, maybe the people with passes go often and don't spend money...but that's the deal that Disney offers them. You can't blame someone for taking advantage of a deal that they've paid for - maybe you think the terms are unfair, but that's the company's fault, not the consumer's fault.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by ericg View Post

they should drop the southern california pass, raise the price on the southern california select, drop select from name, but keep the same blockout dates and eliminate park hopping privileges on that pass. make that a 1-park pass that you chose which park to visit.

another idea would be to put some blockout dates on the parking pass upgrade for deluxe passports. They could make you pay to park on a few of the days when your pass is still valid to reduce demand on the parking, encourage passholders to carpool and make you think about whether you really want to attend since there is a price (cost of parking).

Another idea is to impose entry restrictions. On select days make it so the passholders first entry to the park must be before a certain time for the pass to be valid for the day. This would extend the length of stay and likely increase spending on f&b, plus help to eliminate the late day crunch that crushes operations.

One of the primary goals should be to move people up to the next higher priced pass, eliminate the lowest price tier and maybe thin out the ranks some. The parks could then market to the lost passholders, who are casual, not serious, and very price conscious with locals only promotions during slower periods of the year. In other words offer them a multi-day ticket valid over a period of time for a lesser price, but ultimately this will be a higher price point on a per visit basis. This would encourage visits during slower times and encourage a longer length of stay, which in turn should increase in park spending from these users.
    this

---------- Post added 10-11-2012 at 01:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Diznehound View Post
    I firmly believe the SoCal passholders are the root of the overcrowding problem at the resort- Many of them meet there after work and take separate cars from their jobs to meet up and help clog the parking garage. Then they enter the park, maybe have a 10$ sno-cone and ride a few rides and go home. For those of us outside the LA Basin it's a much more involved and expensive trip- and yet OUR annual pass is much more unaffordable than theirs. I must take off 2 extra days for travel from Sacramento, pay for the hotel (4 nights) and I always eat at least once at either Blue Bayou, or Big Thunder BBQ- (30$ easily per person).Not to mention the $1000 we drop in souveneir money about 5 times a year. Granted, I could bring my own food and sleep in a cheaper hotel, but treating yourself to the best you can afford is part of the magic. But nowadays, Disneyland has become a place for the super rich to enjoy. Not what Walt wanted at all. I spend all my time either planning how I'm going to afford my next trip, or paying off the previous one. Does Anyone else feel this way or am I nuts? I truly feel, though, that SO Cal people are the root of the problem and that the rest of us should not bear the brunt of the punishment for it.
    Since you asked... you are nuts.
    I am in no way super rich, I am not even rich. I may be considered well-to-do by some standards, but by others, I am poor... ("how do you pay your mortgage on your salary?")

Like many ppl, I have to pinch pennies and save for my trips (no matter where I go). But also, like many, I am good at saving and I am very creative when it comes to planning. I am also content with what I can afford - one trip to BB restau at most, buying a blocked out pass, not needing to spend 1000s of $$$ on merch each trip, etc. Some ppl feel they must have all or nothing when it comes to DLR. These ppl were priced out of the top tier AP and I have seen their comments about being dissatisfied with buying the next tier down. I have never understood the all-or-nothing mentality.

Now, do I think you are really nuts? No, I just thought I'd be funny and respond w/ a yes.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Since moving to SoCal several years ago, I was able to realize a dream I'd long held. We became Annual Pass Holder to the park Uncle Walt built. In the ensuing years we simply renewed when the passes concluded. No thought required. No other choice.

This year we sat down and discussed cost and budget and...value. Yes. We questioned the value. Even with the beautiful new Buena Vista Street and Cars Land, even with the refurbishments going on in Disneyland, even with everything that argues how absolutely cool the parks are, we wondered if it was worth the cost.

Is there value in paying for new stores to spend more money? Is it worth the price to attend a new restaurant that is raising their prices despite being open less than a year? Is there a real reason to buy an annual pass then get charged again to attend a "special event" where you can pay to shop and eat "exclusive" merchandise and food?

What is Buena Vista Street after all? An Attraction? Not really. A collection of stores? Yes, truly. The street performers are enjoyable yes, but where actually is Walt and Mickey? Where is the magic? Now that I have seen it a couple times, I feel no driving need to attend any of the (fabulously designed and decorated) stores. Just because Walt's picture is on an item does not mean there is magic imbued.

I have actually purchased nothing from Buena Vista Street mall. Not even a Pin. If you could see my collection of Pins you would understand the depth of this fact!

We did buy a Starbucks drink. We like Starbucks and are happy to see them at California Adventure. We have a Starbucks within walking distance to our house. We do not need to travel 13 miles and pay $600 a year (SoCal Select with Parking) to enjoy Starbucks.

We eventually made the decision to purchase, but it became a choice due to guests coming to visit from other areas of the world. We are going to take them to Disneyland when they arrive of course! We learned that we have several visits from many friends and family members. This adjusted the cost factor in favor of the purchase. But if these people were not coming this year...we may have made a different choice.

Will the guests enjoy the stores and restaurants? Yes they will. And I will enjoy them as well, but in the back of my mind I will still be thinking, "Am I paying to spend more money?"

I love Uncle Walt's gift to us all. I treasure my experiences there these past few years. I longed to see the parks in my youth, but only finally made it here when I turned 50, the same year the park turned fifty. I hope to continue to enjoy Disneyland until the day my life pass expires.

This year it became a different thing for me. This it year it became a decision to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by mekchin View Post
    I heard a rumor from that annual passes may be eliminated in 2013.
    No chance. We're talking almost a million APs, which at around $300 per AP, is a third of a billion dollars a year just in annual pass sales. No way they would kill a cash cow like that.

But if AP traffic really becomes a problem for them, the most likely solution will be for them to simply keep raising the prices until enough AP's drop out that the traffic becomes manageable.

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

If this happens we will have a very sad crowd :-( AP's are awesome.... See you at the park.

---------- Post added 10-11-2012 at 06:39 PM ----------

Keep rasing the prices ill pay!
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

I'm happy my ap gives me enough time ..I might go 2-3 times a week with a SoCal passport ,but only because A. This is the closest park withrides I can actually enjoy.

With the removal of the low tiers, I would not be going but oncea year.. I hope the low aps don't get removed

• Banned User

A lot of AP discrimination here.

I read something that irked me. Someone said they should not allow a payment plan. That's kind of discriminatory. "Hey, you can't afford to buy it outright, you don't deserve it!"

I doubt many people would live in the home they do, drive the car they drive, buy the TV they watch if they had to buy it outright in one payment.

The revenue from AP's is huge. If Disney has a "real" problem with overcrowding, they would over hire and overstaff.

I can only assume this RUMOR was ignited by someone with AP envy.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The world revolves around credit. I use my credit card to pay for my trips to Disneyland. Sure, I try and pay it all off as soon as I return from my trip. However, very few people do pay cash for things.

I am planning on buying an annual pass when I visit Disneyland in January. I am doing that so that I can return next October and finally see Disneyland in the Fall. It must be a marvelous time to see the park, and I am really looking forward to that.

2013 is just around the corner. I really don't expect to see a shocking announcement, on January 1st, about Disney no longer selling any new annual passes. It definitely has been helping to pay the bills for a very long time.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    However, very few people do pay cash for things.
    Oh me me..I do! And wow has it been an eye opener for me and taught me to know what goes in and what goes out. It also makes things very difficult at times but I've been credit free for over a year now

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FredSimmons View Post
    No chance. We're talking almost a million APs, which at around $300 per AP, is a third of a billion dollars a year just in annual pass sales. No way they would kill a cash cow like that.
    10 million guests at $50 per entry would be a half a billion dollars. That is a bigger cash cow that TDA is passing up over keeping the AP Program.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    The world revolves around credit. I use my credit card to pay for my trips to Disneyland. Sure, I try and pay it all off as soon as I return from my trip. However, very few people do pay cash for things.

I am planning on buying an annual pass when I visit Disneyland in January. I am doing that so that I can return next October and finally see Disneyland in the Fall. It must be a marvelous time to see the park, and I am really looking forward to that.

2013 is just around the corner. I really don't expect to see a shocking announcement, on January 1st, about Disney no longer selling any new annual passes. It definitely has been helping to pay the bills for a very long time.

oh i agree.. i pay cash for some things.. but miostly my debit card works over time! LOL for me it's just kinda hard to count out change and stuff becuse i have a problem counting money and coins and stuff. but there is times that if i got the cash on me i will use it.,but its rare

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    oh i agree.. i pay cash for some things.. but miostly my debit card works over time! LOL for me it's just kinda hard to count out change and stuff becuse i have a problem counting money and coins and stuff. but there is times that if i got the cash on me i will use it.,but its rare
    Well, when I say I pay cash, I kinda mean using my debit card because that is attached to my checking account. I'm credit card free, that is no money I use comes from a credit line...all from my checking. So I don't use actually green but it's electronic green? kinda... ?

So if you use your debit card, you are kinda technically paying cash, if it's coming out of your checking.

• Sock Puppet

^ RIGHT.. YEAH I guess ur right.. but i don't always actually carry the green bills around.. i always end up losing $20's.. have no idea why..LOL

yeah my debit is attached to my bank too..but i have a credit card and i won't be paying my renewal this year on it cause i need to pay it down first! LOL..but yeah i don't really know who even actually pays with actual cash other then plastic..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    LOL..but yeah i don't really know who even actually pays with actual cash other then plastic..LOL
    Well what's funny is that my debit card magnet went caput so I was waiting for a new card and in the waiting I had to pay for groceries with a check...I got looked at like I had 20 heads pullling out a PAPER check and writing a check for $100+ of groceries....I actually liked it though.

But this is way off topic of OP, sorry.

I do not think Disney will get rid of the AP program..makes them to much money, bottom line. And as for AP discounts, yes I will eat inside the parks as opposed to bringing my own food or eating outside the parks. The 20% off can be pretty nice. I recently ate at Blue Bayou for a party of 5 adults and 1 child and got $18 off with my AP! That was almost a meal off. Well drinks anyway or the kids meal.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast