Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast

• Knight that says Nee!!

Re: No more annual passes in 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It depends how you look at it, I think. A lot of luxury services--health clubs, cable TV service (which IS a luxury), etc. are typically paid month by month. Season tickets to sports clubs, big ticket items like computers or TVs--payment plans are common with all of these. So are essentials--you probably pay your rent, cell phone bill, heat, etc. month by month. You could typically save up and pay for any of these but it lightens the load to do it month by month.

In that light, the payment plan is just like what is offered everywhere else. I don't see an issue with it. Maybe some do.

Another perspective is that Disneyland doesn't charge interest, and a credit card does--so by paying Disney instead of paying off a credit card balance, you're saving finance charges.
    Bingo!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I didn't realize that Disney did not charge interest. It certainly makes sense why many would go for the payment plans.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jyshin2 View Post
    I'm not an AP holder, but I don't see why long lines are getting blamed on them. The overcrowding at the parks, that makes sense, but long lines? A person with an AP will be more likely to see a long wait and decide to come back later. They're not likely to be joining the line and making the wait even longer when they can literally come back next week in the morning when it's less busy.
    You could look at this two ways. Yes you're right AP holders can look at a long line and just say "I'll come back" OR they could say "I'm in no rush since I could come back whenever so I don't mind waiting in line"

---------- Post added 10-15-2012 at 08:11 AM ----------

Just a quick side-note...

If I'm not mistaken Disneyland started its Annual Pass program back in 1984, the same exact year that Eisner came into reign for the Disney company. He brought the AP program to try and boost sagging attendance numbers because at the time Disney was on the verge of dropping its commodities and it was rumored that Disneyland was on the chopping block. Obviously the plan worked for what they needed and attendance surged and it was a quick fix for the short term gain.

I just find it ironic that people back the AP program SO heavily and yet bash Eisner any chance they get to say how bad he was for Disneyland...I would still like to see the AP program scrapped or a full payment due on purchase re-instituted but I know that will never happen.

well played Mr. Eisner...well played...
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

Put me in the group of AP who would just wait to ride the ride another day.

I personally like to arrive either really early and then leave early on Saturdays. I find that around 1pm it starts getting crazy and I take off.

If its Sunday, I like to enter the park kind of late. I have found that sometimes the crowds thin out a little earlier on Sundays.

To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    You could look at this two ways. Yes you're right AP holders can look at a long line and just say "I'll come back" OR they could say "I'm in no rush since I could come back whenever so I don't mind waiting in line"

---------- Post added 10-15-2012 at 08:11 AM ----------

Just a quick side-note...

If I'm not mistaken Disneyland started its Annual Pass program back in 1984, the same exact year that Eisner came into reign for the Disney company. He brought the AP program to try and boost sagging attendance numbers because at the time Disney was on the verge of dropping its commodities and it was rumored that Disneyland was on the chopping block. Obviously the plan worked for what they needed and attendance surged and it was a quick fix for the short term gain.

I just find it ironic that people back the AP program SO heavily and yet bash Eisner any chance they get to say how bad he was for Disneyland...I would still like to see the AP program scrapped or a full payment due on purchase re-instituted but I know that will never happen.

well played Mr. Eisner...well played...

• Circle of Ancients

If you are using a Credit Card to pay for your Disney Pass and not paying it off on your next bill then you are paying too much.

If you are using a Credit Card while also utilizing the payment plan to pay for your Disney Pass and not paying it off your next bill then you are paying too much.

If you are using a Debit Card to pay for your pass in full or using the payment plan you are doing it right. There is absolutely NO difference.

We personally do not have any credit cards (except for my corporate card) which means we pay for everything using our Debit card so it comes directly out of our account. This includes our Disney passes.

If we can't afford it using our checking account then we simply don't buy it. PERIOD!!!

As others have said, paying for your Disney pass using the payment plan is no different than other types of things you pay using payments. And yes, Disney does not charge interest (again, unless you are using a credit card). I doubt you are getting such a good deal on your car, house, etc.

As far as Rent to Own things like TV's, etc ... that's a whole other matter IMO.

• La Reine Lézard

My family has had APs since the Monorail Cafe existed, and this is the first year since then that we will not be renewing them. They've just become too costly for us.

Given how APs have skyrocketed in price, and will likely continue to do so, I doubt the program will be cancelled.

Ive put a lot of thought into this matter after reading all the posts of people upset about the AP'ers who somehow ruin the park for other people, are responsible for crowds, etc.

I'm %100 positive that Disney will not discontinue AP's. They would lose so much money over that. Plus I know every time I go to the park I always make a purchase, if its food, a t shirt, of a pin. AP's are just too valuable for Disney. I'm not upset either that there are so many of them.

Some math...

prices as of now.
    Socal select: $269
    Socal annual: $329
    Deluxe: $449
    Premium: $629

average these and you get $419 x 900,000 AP's = $377,100,000
    Yeah thats a lot of money. Theres no way Disney is going to do away with AP's
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

Quote Originally Posted by D3COY View Post
    Ive put a lot of thought into this matter after reading all the posts of people upset about the AP'ers who somehow ruin the park for other people, are responsible for crowds, etc.

I'm %100 positive that Disney will not discontinue AP's. They would lose so much money over that. Plus I know every time I go to the park I always make a purchase, if its food, a t shirt, of a pin. AP's are just too valuable for Disney. I'm not upset either that there are so many of them.

Some math...

prices as of now.
    Socal select: $269
    Socal annual: $329
    Deluxe: $449
    Premium: $629

average these and you get $419 x 900,000 AP's = $377,100,000
    Yeah thats a lot of money. Theres no way Disney is going to do away with AP's

Try this math :

Park Hopper $125 x 365 days= $45,625

$45,625 x 900,000 = $41,062,500.000

Don`t worry, I doubt they will get rid of APs, just tweak it by raising prices or getting rid of certain tiers
    Last edited by Jerryp49; 10-15-2012 at 12:58 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

^^ I agree that there is NO WAY they are going to get rid of AP's. It's a huge chunk of money.

But you are looking at the gross income. One would have to look at the net income to put into context how much "profit" they are making off of AP's. You'd have to factor in the amount of visits, the amount of attractions visited each visit, the amount of money spent in the parks, hotel rates (Disney hotel vs Non-Disney hotel), etc. There are a LOT of factors.

Do I think they only make $377,100,000 per year on AP's ... who knows. It could be less, it could be more.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^Also some people dont have the parking pass so many AP's pay for parking each time they come too...and I get at least one meal there each time I go and something else small...so I'd say I spend 20 bucks every trip and go ten times at year so.....at the least I pay 700 bucks but I'd say I more or less spend about 1,000 bucks a year at the parks and I'm sure many AP's do the same as me...and some cheat the system more

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^^ I agree that there is NO WAY they are going to get rid of AP's. It's a huge chunk of money.

But you are looking at the gross income. One would have to look at the net income to put into context how much "profit" they are making off of AP's. You'd have to factor in the amount of visits, the amount of attractions visited each visit, the amount of money spent in the parks, hotel rates (Disney hotel vs Non-Disney hotel), etc. There are a LOT of factors.

Do I think they only make $377,100,000 per year on AP's ... who knows. It could be less, it could be more.
    Yeah there are a lot of factors to consider, but I assume they are making quite a profit off of socal passholders alone. And the 337 million figure of course is a rough estimate. That was just an average. It could certainly be more or less.

Bottom line is AP holders are way to valuable to discontinue

---------- Post added 10-15-2012 at 01:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^Also some people dont have the parking pass so many AP's pay for parking each time they come too...and I get at least one meal there each time I go and something else small...so I'd say I spend 20 bucks every trip and go ten times at year so.....at the least I pay 700 bucks but I'd say I more or less spend about 1,000 bucks a year at the parks and I'm sure many AP's do the same as me...and some cheat the system more
    Very true. Everytime I go I always spend some money. Whether its $20 or $200...
    Jack Sparrow - "You have been monstrously deceived." Pirate - We are decepted then..." Jack Sparrow - "Yes"

The reality is that Annual Passes are fixed income. They have a definitive and steady income stream from the AP's that they have.

They are not going to give that up. Now, they can alter the composition of that AP distribution, but they are not going to eliminate the program.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat mickey View Post
    the reality is that annual passes are fixed income. They have a definitive and steady income stream from the ap's that they have.

They are not going to give that up. Now, they can alter the composition of that ap distribution, but they are not going to eliminate the program.
    exactly

• Circle of Ancients

Honestly, I'd be all for a pass laid-out in the following manner, doing away with the Premium, Deluxe, SoCal, passes:

Base Pass: $250
    Parking Pass: $75

This is the price for EVERYBODY.

Then the park would adopt a tiered system price based on estimated attendance. For example, a Saturday in July or the week between Xmas/New Years would cost more than a Tuesday in October.

AP Per visit price: Roughly 75% off the current ticket price.
    Meaning that every time you visited you would pay a set percentage of that days ticket price. So if the ticket is $100 you would pay $25 for that particular visit.

This would continue the constant revenue stream for the AP's while insuring that they would also make a "per visit" fee for each AP. If you are paying for a visit, even if it's just $25 you are more apt to stay in the park longer and therefore spend $$ on Food, Drink, etc.

So instead of it being an "Annual Pass" it would be more of a Discount Card, kind of akin to the old Magic Kingdom Club but where individuals could get it.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast