Quick Thoughts on 2012 Mickey's Halloween Party Oct 2, 2012

Just wanted to share some quick thoughts about Mickey's Halloween Party last night. I've been going to Dland forever and worked at the park many, many moons ago. It was our first visit to a Dland hard ticket and I'll admit my expectations were pretty high. On the good side, they were very actively checking writebands, there was a ton of candy and lots of characters and cast members about. On the negative side, it was crowded. PAINFULLY crowded.

Keep in mind, this was the first Tuesday party of the season, not sold out which we picked intentionally hoping for a modest crowd. The walkways felt like a busy Sunday. There were hour-ish waits for Mickey, Jack, etc. Space Mountain and Mansion were, as expected, packed. Second tier attraction lines were fairly light, since no one was there for that. Our friends who decided to eat at Tomorrowland Terrace waited 45 minutes from getting in line to getting their food. Sorry, but I shouldn't have to pay extra money for this. This is a party that has a ton of potential, but just too many people.

Unfortunately, I suggest saving your money and passing on this overcrowded event. I love the fireworks, but I can't imagine we'll do it again. I really wanted to love this event and make it an annual event, but no such luck.

Re: Quick Thoughts on 2012 Mickey's Halloween Party Oct 2, 2012

Oh no! We're going on the 9th an we too were expecting a less crowded park because it's Tuesday. Sounds like we'll have to make the best of it since we already paid for the tickets.

How was it later in the evening? I've heard that it clears out after the fireworks and many people have said that they had more fun then.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyblue View Post
    Oh no! We're going on the 9th an we too were expecting a less crowded park because it's Tuesday. Sounds like we'll have to make the best of it since we already paid for the tickets.

How was it later in the evening? I've heard that it clears out after the fireworks and many people have said that they had more fun then.
    Definitely had a lot of people leave after the fireworks. We have a young kid, so didn't get to take full advantage. If you are staying late, definitely do the second "parade" and hit up some of the smaller things early.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyblue View Post

Here are a few MHP tips that will help you avoid the OPs mistakes.

1. All parties are busy, most sell out and the other come close to selling out, so pick the one that works with your schedule, not try to choose one to miss the unavoidable crowds at the party.

2. Do the rides like HMH and SMGG in the morning if there all day or on another day.

3. See the characters in the morning if there all day or on another day. Only see party exlusive characters at the party.

4. Eat before or after the party. Snack on the treats or get a quick drink or popcorn at the party if needed.

5. Stake out spots for the first parade and fireworks. Or if you do't want a good view for the fireworks(I wouldn't suggest that if you have never seen them), watch the second parade.

6. The Treat Stations can have very big lines but they move at a good pace. In the rear of the park are other treat stations that are less crowded. If the line looks long find another one.

• I'm wishing

After never paying for the party in the past, I finally went to this event last night (Tuesday, Oct. 2nd). I was scoping out how the event would work when I was there Friday night (the first night of the party this year), and I was prepared for worse crowds based on what I saw there on Friday (although I understand that Friday was sold out and ours was not). I thought it was busy, but not too bad.

We didn't do things that had lines that were too long, we just played it by ear. Our longest wait was about 30 minutes for Splash at about 5:30pm. We hit only the shorter treat station lines and got a fair amount of candy overall. Between 4pm and 11pm, we did Star Tours 3 times, Space twice, Buzz, Submarines, Autopia, Teacups, Big Thunder, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, and Splash. We also staked out a spot for the parade just after 8pm (parade got there about 8:45) and Fireworks in front of the castle. So, we were unable to ride anything from 8 until about 10. We also had our picture taken with Storm Troopers! I don't think that's too bad for the hours we were moving about (4-8 and 10-11).

Notable good things....several very short candy lines, NO line when we got ice cream at Gibson Girl at 8pm, NO line for Star Tours at 10:30, NO line for Autopia at 10pm, NO line for Teacups during the afternoon parade, only 5 minutes for pics with storm troopers at about 10:20pm. Overall, I was happy with our night!!

Wow! Thanks for the info everyone. Now I'm excited again!

• Goofy

anyways thanks for sharing the trip report information.

I also was at MHP that night. I don't think it was crowded at all. There was a period of time when the Hub area was packed for fireworks, but other than that... I walked straight onto both SMGG and HMH. We didn't wait long for food anywhere. The treat trails were well-organized, quick, and generous. Most of the photo lines weren't even that long, except for Jack and Sally. Maybe we just happened to always be in the right place at the right time.

This was my first time at this event, and I loved it. I'll definitely be going again next year.

We have a dinner reservation for Cafe Orleans, on October 12th. Do you think we will have a really long wait?

We were there on the 2nd, too. From our perspective, and we've been going to these parties for several years now, both sold out and not sold out, last Tuesday's party was not badly crowded. Disney keeps increasing the number of party tickets sold each year, so every year the parties will be more crowded. That's just the way it is. If you think going to the party means avoiding crowds, then don't go to the party. They all are crowded to some degree. This party was much more organized than parties in the past, with better lighting and signage, better and more active wristband checks, etc. We had a really fun time, even in the heat!

Agree totally with swampymarsh's tips. The OP made some mistakes that impacted his party experience in a negative way. These mistakes can be avoided, which will improve your experience at the party.

Hi, JulieMouse! If we'd known you were going to be there, we'd have kept an eye out for you! Glad you had a fun time.

• Sock Puppet

I so wish that the Halloween party had remained in DCA.

• I'm wishing

Quote Originally Posted by PascalGal View Post

Hi, JulieMouse! If we'd known you were going to be there, we'd have kept an eye out for you! Glad you had a fun time.
    Hi there! It's always fun to run into those you know at the Park, but glad you also had a fun time too!!

I agree with the OP, we went on a Friday night and the crowds were painful! We didnt get to experience any of the fun and missed the parades and fireworks due to fighting the crowds to get anywhere, we went in 2011 and had a better time then.

I went last night and while going in the morning or on another day is not an option since I don't have a pass, I still did most of what I planned.

My only mistake was going with my husband to get a refill on coffee and standing in line for Jack & Sally. If I didn't go with him and got in line myself, it would have been better. I got in line without paying attention to how long it was, and only noticed it was shorter than earlier. It was ten minutes before I realized we hadn't moved. By then was that whole dilemma of leaving and wasting those ten minutes, or waiting even longer. I ended up waiting 45 minutes and then looked at the wrong camera. That could have been better but I was satisfied with everything else.

I didn't get a chance to see the Villains, but was only hoping for Maleficent & Hades, as I got 5 of them during Halloweentime two years ago. I did get pictures with Peter, Wendy, & Hook (we just missed Jack Sparrow), Prince Ali, Phineas & Ferb, and of course Jack & Sally. We skipped the lines for Pooh, Eeyore, & Rabbit and the "Stromtroppers" mostly because of the Jack & Sally line, even though these seemed shorter.

We rode HMH, Space Mountain, PotC, and Star Tours twice. We watched the parade and fireworks. We went to about a dozen trails. I think we only missed the one in Town Square.