Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: How could Disneyland expand beyond a rumored 3rd gate?

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I honestly think that two parks is quite enough for the Disneyland Resort. I really don't want to see it to become another Disney World.
    I was hoping I'd find a post like this. I definitely agree, I'm completely fine with two parks. I really don't want DLR to become the sprawling giant that is WDW. If they were to build more, I'm up for ONE more park, but no more after that, please! Another hotel would be nice. I'm fine with one more hotel and one more park.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Banned User

I understand the initial question but can't get past the roadblock that today's economy is tight and drives corporations to focus more on maintaining their empire and not expanding it. I'd be happy if Disney can just maintain what they've got and not risk the kingdom with any expansions at the moment.

Still, I see a lot of thoughtful responses here.

I'd imagine they might buy up or have the city relocate some of those warehouses and industrial stuff across the freeway. Or maybe buy the convention center and build a new one somewhere else and use the former space.

There are a lot of options in that area if disney is willing to spend and or get crafty.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldMissingPants View Post
    Disney should have taken gardenwalk when they had the chance!
    They still do. As the saying goes, everything has a price. The question is, Is the Price Right? The answer was no, since Disney didn't buy the land before it was built.

One thing not mentioned is that expansion in Anaheim mainly must fall in thier Plantinum Triangle. Sure Anaheim may see that the area needs to expand, but it's far from the point right now. Not all of the resort area is being used as resort area or is the triangle filled with high tech companies. Disney could of course build parks in other cities like it tried before with Port Disney in Long Beach.
    City of Anaheim - The Platinum Triangle

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by thomaslw View Post
    a fourth gate would be highly unlikely and i would bet money never happens in our lifetimes. but if dlr really wanted to expand, the most plausible way would be to buy up all the property from s.anaheim to harbor, and all of the land next to harbor. none of that land is houses, it's all commercial, which always makes things easier. at this point all the land from the 5/harbor all the way down to where the toystory lots are now would be owned by disney. that is enough room for two smaller sized parks. demolish disney way east of harbor, and that triangle bounded by the 5, harbor, and katelia can be divided into two parks. the current enterence to disneyland on harbor should be mirrored on the other side to get into the eastern 2 parks. thus that area will effectively be the center of the entire DLR resort. to be honest, if disneyland can purchase all that, then they could probably demolish harbor too from the 5 to ketlella, thus forming a true center for all four parks (right where the current drop off point for the toy story bus is). the enterence to the two new parks could be essentially exactly where harbor is now.

now that we have 4 parks, we need way more dlr hotels. the lots around paradise pier and downtown disney need to be converted into 2 multilevel structures, and that's enough room to stick down 2 additional hotels (one in the lot south of paradise pier, one in the lot north of disney hotel). that gives us 5 DLR hotels all in the same area. the existing cast member lot (the lot adjacent north of toy story lot) should become administrative buildings (for the new parks) and you could stick a hotel or two. keep in mind we just blew up a ton of hotels in our buying spree, so now disneyland can profit from the new hotel needs. the current toy story lots needs to be a large mickey-like parking structure to support all the new people. bus system would drop ppl off just south of the new park center entence on harbor (cept harbor is now a disney street like the tram street, so there is no other traffic).

why isnt toy story lot turned into the 3rd gate in this case? because its tougher to develop in residential zoned land and it's not really a large space to begin with.
    I disagree that major roads like Harbor can be "acquired" for resort expansion. They can be put in tunnels, with park infrastructure of some minimal impact built on top in the airspace.

I like this idea for the "big idea-ness". It points out that virtually anything is possible. Any business, any residence, can be purchased (for a price) and the buildings and infrastructure cleared to make room for DLR expansion. It's just a question of whether or not the company can make more money from operating an expanded resort than it would cost them to buy and clear the property and build the expansion.

---------- Post added 10-04-2012 at 11:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post

One thing not mentioned is that expansion in Anaheim mainly must fall in thier Plantinum Triangle. Sure Anaheim may see that the area needs to expand, but it's far from the point right now. Not all of the resort area is being used as resort area or is the triangle filled with high tech companies. Disney could of course build parks in other cities like it tried before with Port Disney in Long Beach.
    City of Anaheim - The Platinum Triangle
    Is the Platinum Triangle concept still viable since Jerry Brown absconded with Redevelopment Agency funding?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

i believe one of the reasons for the departure of Wescot was the expense of buying all of the residential properties and replacing thousands of people. Home values skyrocketed back in the 90's. Besides, we still need to do a little more work on our second gate before we start talking about a 3rd gate. Honestly, i would like a third gate (Wescot) but it will be VERY expensive.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!"

• World Famous Gold Mickey

I had heard rumors of a Disney Water park going into that big parking lot on the side of Paradise Hotel but that may be a thing of the past due to Knotts Water Park and the Water Park Garden Grove wants to build just down the street from DL. I see cast members being ask to park somewhere else and bus to DL so they could use that land for something like anouther Disney Hotel. I think the Garden Mall still could come into play but disney would have to get this before any anoucement of the 3rd park being built because the value would just go sky high after the anoucement. Also Disney could pick up a few surrounding parcels here and there and maybe buy out some others.

• film975

Why is there constant speculation about a third or even a fourth gate? There really isn't enough room for either. Walt Disney knew that. And that's why he bought all the land for Disney World in Florida. Granted, there's always room for a new attraction here and there. But Disneyland is the original Disney theme park. And I'd like to keep it that way.

This might be a good time to buy up properties. The economy, and state bureaucracy has unfortunately affected the commercial real estate vacancy rate. Many companies are either consolidating or closing up shop. This could be a good buyer's market.

To the north is the 5
    To the East is the 5
    To the west, residential homes
    To the immediate south, is the convention center..probably not going anywhere

The old strawberry field is the most likely site for a 3rd park. But would it be awkward to have two parks facing each other and then the third down the road? Would tourists be less likely to park-hop (same day) to the third park? You probably couldn't get away with putting a half park (ie: DCA 1.0). You'd have to make it an "all day" park which is a lofty and expensive consideration.

Perhaps the current parks may expand into the aforementioned areas. TL could be expanded closer to the 5.
    I'm not sure if the Desert Palms and Candy Cane in would provide more revenue in rent than any source of revenue from an expansion of DCA. They seem like an easy corner at Harbor and Katella to take over but is it worth all the destruction to add maybe a ride or two?
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    Who owns GardenWalk now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Arcturus, a real estate company.
    This happened today.

GardenWalk mall in Anaheim sold | mall, property, group - News - The Orange County Register

Quote Originally Posted by APJ1127 View Post
    This might be a good time to buy up properties. The economy, and state bureaucracy has unfortunately affected the commercial real estate vacancy rate. Many companies are either consolidating or closing up shop. This could be a good buyer's market.

To the immediate south, is the convention center..probably not going anywhere

The old strawberry field is the most likely site for a 3rd park. But would it be awkward to have two parks facing each other and then the third down the road?
    I'm not sure if the Desert Palms and Candy Cane in would provide more revenue in rent than any source of revenue from an expansion of DCA. They seem like an easy corner at Harbor and Katella to take over but is it worth all the destruction to add maybe a ride or two?
    This is a good time to buy, but not to own unless you can make money from it. Buying real estate that you don't need right now and can't rent doesn't always make sense.

The convention center may go away. It's not a constant. Many places want to build convention centers and competition does replace old convention centers. Disney may now sooner than later get going on it's new hotels at Garden Walk. They were planned but never built. Hotels south of the resort on Harbor are convention hotels, when there are no convention they turn into really cheap Hyatts, Marriots and Embassy Suites. If Disney can displace the business those hotels get from tourists, those hotels may get cheap to purchase.

It's not just a rumor or likely. The Strawberry Field aka Toy Story lot, has basic approval from Anaheim to be the third gate.

The hotels on the SE corner of DCA could surely be bought by Disney. The properties that were adjacent to them were bought by Disney when it was more valuable to use thier lots as more parking.

The Angels have been talking to the City of Industry people about a new stadium... I think their lease is up in 2015. With all of the surface lots around it, that's a MASSIVE piece of land that could acquire relatively easily since there's only one owner to deal with. You could very easily fit another Disneyland-sized park there... the obvious problem is transportation since it's a little far away from the rest of the resort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12