Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nic

Hollywoodland/Bugs Land Rennovation idea. :)

Hollywoodland

We have almost every era of California represented in DCA, why not the 80s?

The general theme of the new Hollywoodland would stray away from the loose “Golden Era of Hollywood” theme, and adopt the theme of Hollywood in the 80s, with no backlot attached. Firstly, I would demolish “Disney Jr.”, and replace it with a scaled down version of “The Great Movie Ride”, featuring great movies and TV shows from 1980 - 1989 (i.e. Golden Girls, Ferris Bueler's Day Off), with Omnimovers themed to a specific movie or TV show as the ride system. I would keep Animation Academy though, only updating the facade to fit the new 80’s theme, and getting rid of “Turtle Talk with Crush” (a similar experience will be added later). While I love “MuppetVision 3D”, and “Monsters Inc: Mike and Sulley to the Rescue”, they don’t fit the theme of Hollywood with the current state they’re in. I would replace “MuppetVision 3D” with a new motion stimulator ride based off “National Lampoon Family Vacation” (an 80's classic); the theatre would be repurposed as a giant tour bus, as you take a wild and hilarious tour of Hollywood with the Griswolds. “Monsters Inc.” would be replaced with a massive sit-down restaurant, with waiters in parachute pants, and waitresses with big hair and leg warmers, serving food popular in the 80s. Stage 12 would become “The Scene”, a lounge run by Roger Rabbit exclusively for famous Disney characters and a few “exclusive” humans. This lounge would be an updated version of “Dancin’ with Disney”. Stage 17 would host "Press Your Luck", a revival of the classic game show where you can win fabulous prizes, such as Fast Passes. “Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular” would end it’s run, making way for a concert put on by Disney characters, parodying the music of the 80s.
    On top of all these renovations, the shops would get a re-theme to fit in with the 80s.

Muppet Backlot Studios

Even though Bugs Land is great for kids, it needs to be replaced. My idea is “Muppet Backlot Pictures”, a working Muppet movie studio, for a “movie that will never be finished”, so says Bunsen Honeydew. On “set”, are Kermit and Miss Piggy’s trailer, with animatronic versions of Kermit and Miss Piggy available to meet-and-greet via Live Interaction. Across the way, is “The Muppet Show”, that uses the same format that “Country Bear Jamboree” used. The show would be very similar to the actual TV show, with the only differences being that they’re trying to get a perfect taping of the show for the movie, and there being no celebrity guest star. At the end of every taping though, one Muppet messes up, causing them to bring the next audience in to re-tape the entire show. Somewhere else in “Muppet Backlot Pictures”, is “Fozzie Bear’s Laugh House”, an interactive comedy act similar to “Turtle Talk with Crush” and “Monster’s Inc. Laugh Floor”, that would have Fozzie Bear trying out jokes for the movie. Finally, in place of “it’s tough to be a bug” and the area surrounding it, is a currently unnamed indoor coaster, similar to Space Mountain. The coaster would be a play-off of “Rockin’ Rollercoaster”, and would follow the whole Muppet gang as they race through the streets of Los Angeles/Hollywood at night, to get to their finally finished movie’s, premiere.

These are just ideas I’ve been writing down while bored in math class, feel free to dissect it.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

Re: Hollywoodland/Bugs Land Rennovation idea. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Uh, because the 80s kind of suck?

But also because that decade is just too close.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Actually, it was one of the best decades ever. The economy was high, one of our greatest presidents was in the White House, and some of the greatest movies ever came out of that decade. More importantly, 1988 saw Kirk Gibson's game winning homerun in Game 1 of the Fall Classic.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

there's a certain timelessness about disneyland which gives it a multi-generational appeal. basing a whole land on the 80s would be as disasterous as the limoride that lasted less than a year. it would instantly be dated. the 80s are not far enough back where you have a nostaligic view of it, many of us lived through that decade after all, and the fashions and styles are embarrasing now that we look back (big hair + bold colors... ehh). as far as movies go, 80s weren't at all a golden age of film making (in fact i would say it was the weakest decade, none of the masterpieces of the 70s like chinatown or godfather, none of the incredible special effect cgi laden block busters of the 90s like titanic, matrix, jurrasic park), and disneyland already sucked up the two most prominant ones (indy and star wars). aside from that i can't think of why disney would do movies like ferris, which is a paramount movie! 80s was a terrible terrible decade for disney btw, with garbage animation until the end of the decade (so bad that eisner was gonna kill it completely until roy said he wanted it). national lampoon is so unfamily friendly too that there is NO way that disney would touch that property. on top of that it makes fun of disneyland (what do you think wallyworld is supposed to be?), have you even watched the movie? O_o i can't imagine anyone less than 30 having any enjoyment at watching the golden girls (eck less than 60 for that one) or chevy chase when he was actually funny. can you imagine how bored kids would be? i hate to beat down on your idea but there is absolutely nothing in your idea that remotely makes any sense at all! sorry =\

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Actually, it was one of the best decades ever. The economy was high, one of our greatest presidents was in the White House, and some of the greatest movies ever came out of that decade. More importantly, 1988 saw Kirk Gibson's game winning homerun in Game 1 of the Fall Classic.
    Economy. Check
    Reagan. Check
    A couple good movies. Check
    Padres go to the World Series. Check
    Cultural mediocrity and decline. Check
    The 80s are just too close. Check

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by thomaslw View Post
    there's a certain timelessness about disneyland which gives it a multi-generational appeal. basing a whole land on the 80s would be as disasterous as the limoride that lasted less than a year. it would instantly be dated. the 80s are not far enough back where you have a nostaligic view of it, many of us lived through that decade after all, and the fashions and styles are embarrasing now that we look back (big hair + bold colors... ehh). as far as movies go, 80s weren't at all a golden age of film making (in fact i would say it was the weakest decade, none of the masterpieces of the 70s like chinatown or godfather, none of the incredible special effect cgi laden block busters of the 90s like titanic, matrix, jurrasic park), and disneyland already sucked up the two most prominant ones (indy and star wars). aside from that i can't think of why disney would do movies like ferris, which is a paramount movie! 80s was a terrible terrible decade for disney btw, with garbage animation until the end of the decade (so bad that eisner was gonna kill it completely until roy said he wanted it). national lampoon is so unfamily friendly too that there is NO way that disney would touch that property. on top of that it makes fun of disneyland (what do you think wallyworld is supposed to be?), have you even watched the movie? O_o i can't imagine anyone less than 30 having any enjoyment at watching the golden girls (eck less than 60 for that one) or chevy chase when he was actually funny. can you imagine how bored kids would be? i hate to beat down on your idea but there is absolutely nothing in your idea that remotely makes any sense at all! sorry =\
    It's fine! I know it probably would never happen because of all the movie rights and stuff, but I can dream.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Dead men tell no tales.

No because most if not every kid who goes to Disneyland doesn't care a whole lot about the 80's and the version you're painting is just to un-Disney for me. Plus, you didn't say anything about Tower of Terror, how does that fit the 80's theme? I can't see it being rethemed or demolished as it is one of the most popular rides in the park (and the only reason I go to HollywoodLand anyway).

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Spence View Post
    No because most if not every kid who goes to Disneyland doesn't care a whole lot about the 80's and the version you're painting is just to un-Disney for me. Plus, you didn't say anything about Tower of Terror, how does that fit the 80's theme? I can't see it being rethemed or demolished as it is one of the most popular rides in the park (and the only reason I go to HollywoodLand anyway).
    I don't think every kid cares about the 1920s either, but we have Buena Vista Street.

For Tower of Terror: Hollywood had many eerie, glamorous hotels in it's past, including the 80s. The facade would be left untouched, while the inside would be very unchanged, just eliminating some of the props that tie it specifically to the 30s.
    Fear of the unknown.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I like the muppets idea for Bugsland. The 80s was a great decade and even a better one for me since that's the decade of my teenage years. But an 80s version of Hollywood would not work because, while the 80s does have its good points, Hollywood was a complete dump back in those days -- the TV shows and movies may have been good but aside from the Chinese Theatre Hollywood was just a gross and sleazy area.

Things have gotten better (although still not great) now since they built the Hollywood and Highland complex and built the Dolby Theatre. But prior to this and after the end of its golden era, Hollywood was just a dump.

• a damsel not in distress

Even though Bugs Land is great for kids, it needs to be replaced.
    i actually think it's one element that needs to stay because it's great for kids, young kids to be exact. so much of dca is focused on older kids and adults (tower of terror, california screamin', radiator springs racers, grizzly river run, etc.) i think it's nice to have an area to bring little kids who can't do those rides/find them too intimidating.

i do, however, like the idea of incorporating the muppets more. where else could an area dedicated to them go?

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

•   
    • Banned User

But also because that decade is just too close.

You completely lost my support with that comment.

Thank you Calsig31, you have my respect.

It's OK to state your opinions but this is kind of harsh.

• Under that tree again!

Hollywoodland

In my mind Disney just took the 80s out of the park and now the park is much improved.

Muppet Backlot Studios

Even though Bugs Land is great for kids, it needs to be replaced.
    So you take away 4 rides aimed right square at kids and replaced it with 0 kids rides? There is a reason Bugs Land exists and you are not making the park better when you don't fullfill that need.

• Team Hail HYDRA

^yes
    for the kids

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• -

A couple good movies. Check
    Cultural mediocrity and decline. Check
    A couple of good movies? I could make entire lists of classics that came out of that decade. And as to the comment about cultural mediocrity and decline, if anything, the 80’s were about helping out others in need. There were several national and international causes that came out of that decade: USA for Africa to help fight famine and disease in Africa, Band Aid which raised money against poverty in Etheopia, Comic Relief fighting homelessness in the USA, Hands Across America collecting money to fight hunger and homelessness and help those in poverty, Farm Aid held to raise money for family farmers in the United States, and Live Aid also to help with the Etheopian famine.

as far as movies go, 80s weren't at all a golden age of film making (in fact i would say it was the weakest decade, none of the masterpieces of the 70s like chinatown or godfather, none of the incredible special effect cgi laden block busters of the 90s like titanic, matrix, jurrasic park),
    While it may not be the golden age of Hollywood with films like Gone with the Wind and Citizen Kane, it was the decade with some of the new classics that defined a generation: The Indiana Jones Movies, two of the Star Wars Movies, Blade Runner, Goonies, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Weird Science, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, E.T… …the list can go on and on. While I couldn’t really see most of these being made into rides, I wouldn’t discount the movies that came out of that decade either.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Hollywood was a complete dump back in those days
    However, it was really contributed to Rock n’ Roll with great bands playing every night at clubs like the Whisky a Go Go on the Sunset Strip.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast