Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Embrace the kitsch!

Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Went to DL

I was at Starbuck's today and one of the baristas mentioned that tomorrow, he and his girlfriend are leaving for DL. I recommended getting RSR FP's first thing and going to dinner at Napa Rose (which he'd never heard of). A few minutes later, he asked me if I had any other tips and I told him about circular flow, something I find confusing in spite of knowing how it works.

That conversation gave me an idea. Assume someone you know is going to DL, someone who measures the time between trips in years rather than weeks. What advice would you give them? Try to think in terms of practical knowledge rather than just the usual "insider stuff" like riding in the wheelhouse of the Twain. The objective here is to keep them from saying, "I wish I'd known that before I went! It would've been so much easier!"
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Under that tree again!

Re: Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Went to DL

If you ride all the ride in DL that come up in RDCT, RDCT make that much more sense.

• Nic

If it's gonna be a hot day and you don't care about getting wet, make Splash Mountain your first ride of the day.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Thats going on Fridays in October suck because the park closes early

What is circular flow?

• Keepin' it calsteady

I used to have a Disneyland blog and my top 3 tips were (and still are)

1. Best times to visit (whether they want least busy, most entertainment, special holidays, avoid ride closures, etc)
    2. Efficient Fastpass technique
    3. Where the parking lots are so people know where they're actually going

Quote Originally Posted by paradesintherain View Post
    What is circular flow?
    It is oftentimes used in the Hub during fireworks shows to keep traffic moving and help people get to their destinations while not interrupting the audience for the show. Basically, the Hub turns into a large counter-clockwise roundabout, where you are only permitted to go one-way in a circle to reach your destination. Therefore, if you are attempting to reach Frontierland, cast members will still direct you toward the Tomorrowland side of the Hub, and you will circle around the Hub until you reach Frontierland.

If you've never been a part of it, it can be a little confusing and/or frustrating that you can't just walk straight over to the west side of the Hub, but it really does help keep traffic moving.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

I would suggest that once they enter the park (either DL or DCA), they take a minute to look at the map and read the park schedule. It can make such a difference to have a general idea of where things are and how the park is laid out and to know what shows or attractions they want to see and when.

My number one tip would be to learn all intricacies of the FastPass system before getting there. By that I mean:

1. Learning what FastPass is.
    2. Learning which attractions offer FastPass.
    3. Understanding on which attractions getting a FastPass should be a priority based on popularity, anticipated crowds, and capacity.
    4. Knowing that you can get a FastPass for a second attraction only after an hour has passed or your ride window for your first FastPass has arrived--whichever comes first.
    5. Knowing that the FastPass systems in both parks are not linked so you can run first thing in the morning to grab a RSR FP in DCA and then enter Disneyland and grab a Space Mountain FP immediately.

Truly understanding the FastPass system seems to really add to the relaxation and pleasure of touring the parks and it seems only AP's know this.

1) I wish I had known how important being there for (or 20 minutes prior) to rope drop was
    2) About Touring Plans (not a plug, I've just seen how much time saving following a touring plan for the first two hours can be
    3) It's less about the ride, so take your time and soak up all the little things (Daper Dans, smells of Main Street, Cafe Orleans)

• Blew By You

Understand that Disneyland will be there for a long while, so if you don't get to do something, you can return for another visit.
    I'd also recommend a list of 8-10 must ride on or must see attractions. When I take my daughter, I have in mind 8 attractions in which she enjoys and we almost always get on those, more if she has stamina for more.
    A couple going to Disneyland sounds like a romantic time. Treat it as such.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

I wished I had brought a small umbrella for shade in some of the lines! The handicap line for Big Thunder can especially get warm!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Minion

If you want to see both Fantasmic! and the firework show, watch the firework show first, then catch the second showing of Fantasmic!.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

•   

My only advice, after years of both giving and getting advice, is to just go and have fun.

Don't overplan, don't overthink, and don't let anyone tell you what to go do. The park is filled with thousands of experts, both CMs and guests, and absolutely everyone will tell you what to do and where to go.

Just go and ignore the flood of advice and HAVE FUN, even if it means taking you in the directions the wind blows your sails.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

• Selfie Expert

If you can afford it, eat IN the park. I know it saves a lot to bring your own food or go outside of the park, and that some people have to do that, but if you can afford it, the park has great food that can be affordable if you split it and avoid the more expensive sit-down places. There's some great stuff that you won't be able to find anywhere else!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast