Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Kida

Re: Use of ECVs at Disneyland parodied on this week's episode of South Park

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I think you know something must be wrong when a "small" problem like this (i mean the chairs at Disneyland) is put into an episode
    My thoughts exactly... Good episode though!

South Park should have used the Space Mountain line rather than the Jungle Cruise. The disability line for that ride is always long, and the majority of people that wait in that line are the ones that abuse the system the most. a disabled person going on the jungle cruise, I can understand especially since the regular line on the ride isn't a long wait anyway, but a popular high speed roller coaster in the dark that always takes in around an hour or 2 wait? now you're just abusing the system.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by animark View Post
    South Park should have used the Space Mountain line rather than the Jungle Cruise. The disability line for that ride is always long, and the majority of people that wait in that line are the ones that abuse the system the most. a disabled person going on the jungle cruise, I can understand especially since the regular line on the ride isn't a long wait anyway, but a popular high speed roller coaster in the dark that always takes in around an hour or 2 wait? now you're just abusing the system.

I think JC was used, because it's easy to draw it and make it reconizable. If they used Space and Cartman was in a long gray hallway it could of been confused with an airport jetway.

This is the last day to watch this episode online btw. They'll take it down after today and not put it back up until the episode is in reruns.

If you just want to watch a clip of the Disneyland part it can be found at the link below, but it really isn't as funny outside the context of the episode.
    Oh, How Humiliating - Video Clips - South Park Studios

• Rock Star Minion

Pretty funny.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I Thought it was spot on.

• former CM

Here's a link to a thoughtful thread (with one post at this moment) by a Micechatter who weighs 365 pounds:
    Fat at Disneyland

I was once waiting to board a plane and saw a 350-400 pound guy and thought, "I feel sorry for whomever gets stuck next to him." Of course I was seated next to him, and he turned out to be one of the most interesting and pleasant people I've ever spoken with. Good flight.

I have to use an ECV at the park because of a serious back injury, but sadly I get lumped into the crowd because I am also overweight. It wasn't until the back injury that I had to start using the ECV. Honestly I don't see that many overweight people using the ECVs at the park but I do see people with a sense of entitlement using them. The people who come in on their own Rascals are the ones who tend to plow through the crowd and get angry when they are not given special treatment. I for one am not concerned with getting on a ride faster since I can't ride most of the more popular rides because of my back. I do LIKE that they are making the newer rides like Radiator Springs Racers accesible through the main queue so that people are all treated equally. I don't have a problem being put on a ride at the same time frame as if I had entered through the queue. The ECV is not a Super Fast Pass and shouldn't be treated that way by ANYONE. What DOES upset me is when I am in line with my family and there are groups of 5-10 in the accessible line...NONE of whom appear to have a physical limitation that would result in the need for special access.

As for requiring some kind of proof that you need the ECV...that is wrong and illegal because their are people who have limitations but don't have something like a handicap placard ID paper that would allow them to show proof. Someone who perhaps fractures a leg just days before a family trip to Disney should be able to use the ECV but would not be able to show proof either. I think society just needs to raise it's moral standards and stop trying to get over on the next guy by looking for ways to cheat the system and others.

---------- Post added 10-10-2012 at 04:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I think JC was used, because it's easy to draw it and make it reconizable. If they used Space and Cartman was in a long gray hallway it could of been confused with an airport jetway.
    Jungle Cruise is probably one of the biggest jumps in line for the accessible line. Usually there are only at most a half dozen or so waiting in the AC line while the wait may be 45 or more on a busy day.

I think it's funny that there is an AC line for Space Mountain. If you think about it...most people (myself included) who NEED an ECV would typically not meet the physical requirements to ride SM. In my case a bad back requires the ECV and preculdes me from riding SM.

• SORCERER

I love south park, but I am on the fence with this issue. I feel the system is some what abused but it really not as bad as everyone is making it.

I think what everyone is forgetting is the only reason it is like this in Disneyland is because nearly all of the rides are not Wheelchair Accessible. California Adventure is the complete opposite.

Disney just doesn't want to go thought the trouble of redoing every ride line to fit wheelchairs, as they are required to by law. So instead of spending the money and time, they just ask that guest needing a wheel chair enter though the wide exit on certain rides.

The only one to blame for this is Disney.

Also, I can personally say half the time you end up waiting longer than the standby time. Example: California Adventure: you wait in the normal line like everyone else, and sometimes you have to get pulled to the side after you waited in the line just to get a special loading cart. (example Grizzly river run, you wait though the whole line and as soon as you get to the end they pull you to the side where you wait another 20 to 30 mins for a special wheelchair accessible cart).This also happens on California Screamin, Toy Story Mania, and many others.

This honestly has nothing todo with the persons disability, or weather or not Disney feels bad for them and makes them wait in what appears to be shorter lines., its weather or not the chair can fit though the standby line. All Im saying is they really dont have it made as great as everyone thinks. Also you have to remember that in Disneyland its quite difficult to use Fastpass if your in a wheelchair considering most of the time the wheelchair can not fit though the fastpass line either.

I dont use a wheelchair, but have gone with someone who requires one. Im just trying to make some points that don't seem to be brought up.
    Last edited by BradleyC; 10-11-2012 at 07:17 AM.

^This.

One of my mom's friends has a GAC pass since for (legit) medical reasons she can not stand in line, so sometimes we go with her... and yeah we went in line for Peter Pan which was EXCRUCIATING. The regular line was 45 minutes and we must of have waited barely 40. But it felt longer, since we moved a couple inches every five minutes.

This doesn't excuse scooters and that level of abuse, but Universal is smart in issuing return time passes, which work somewhat like Fastpasses. They come back forty-five minutes to an hour afterward, thus lessening the wait. (technically they're not standing in line)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    This doesn't excuse scooters and that level of abuse, but Universal is smart in issuing return time passes, which work somewhat like Fastpasses. They come back forty-five minutes to an hour afterward, thus lessening the wait. (technically they're not standing in line)
    I like Universal's system and Disney does implement a similar system on certain attractions. One of the problems with Disney is that anyone that throws up enough of a fuss still gets what they want. DCA is completely accessible and I see plenty of people in scooters going through queues, but there are plenty that make a big enough fuss that CMs just let them use the special assistance entrance. I don't really blame the CMs since Disney usually will take a guest's side in a dispute.

• Disneyland Nut

I think that South Park only depicted a portion of the "problem". There are people that do use the ECVs to bypass the lines (I've seen entire families, yes FAMILIES, that all have the use of an ECV and obviously didn't need them) and it's totally sad.

The problem is, South Park's only claim when showing those at Disneyland was that everyone (minus the amputee child) was fat and thus, feel entitled to get an ECV and cut the line. That's really unfortunate and sends another sad message to Disneyland patrons and guests.

I'm overweight, but also have a legit and documented medical problem. I've discussed it in other ECV/GAC threads and I also have a disabled placard for my car. Now, I'm pregnant and can't even go on most of the popular rides so it's really a moot point. That being said, I see a lot of people that only go on a handful of rides and have to go to the "front" of the line, but even then, they can only do this for some rides that'll fit their larger frame.

As BradleyC said, this isn't the case in DCA. And that's fine by me. I've got my ECV, so I can happily wait in the standard line with the rest of my party and not have to worry about having to stand and suffer with my condition. It really boils down to DR not having the accommodations for those with the handicap and/or use of wheelchairs or ECVs. If they did, this "problem" would never come up.

• some assembly required

Even if you can tolerate the abusers, what about those that just drive too fast?

On our last trip, we didn't get hit by any ECVs, but man oh man, some of them can haul @ss! (pun slightly intended). We just avoided them when we saw them coming, but I didn't know they make models that went that fast.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• -

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyC View Post
    Disney just doesn't want to go thought the trouble of redoing every ride line to fit wheelchairs, as they are required to by law.
    Disney is not required by law to redesign every line for wheel chair access. The ADA requires reasonable accommodation, not equal accommodation. It would be unreasonable for them to redesign every entrance to accommodate a wheel chair when it can be done much simpler through the exit. Therefore, by entering through the exit, the wheel chair user is still accommodated and has access to the ride making Disney in compliance.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

There is also a problem on my 3rd day there this last trip the 3rd of October I was limping on my way out (bad knee from high school football) one of the people doing surveys on the way out stopped me and asked me questions then asked me about my limp well it was the 3rd day I was sore as I get after that much walking and I left my over the counter pain killer in the room he told me to go get a gac and to tell them I can’t stand in line or clime stares and I will be able to enjoy the park much more without waiting in lines making it easier to enjoy the park on these crowded days. I did not I did not need it I went 2 more days and was fine and happy. It does not help when cast members are telling people how to get past the lines.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast