Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• -

Re: Use of ECVs at Disneyland parodied on this week's episode of South Park

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    I think the simplest solution to the abuse of the GAC policy would be that only guests with their own personal wheelchair or other such device would be provided with a GAC and allowed front of line access. Anyone using a Disney provided device would not.
    In essence, those with serious enough issues that need such devices would already have one.

Yes, there are those occasions where someone who is not actually handicapped, but is not capable of standing in excessively long lines, could need a wheelchair. However, that doesn't mean that they would need front of line access.
    What if you get injured on vacation? You wouldn't necessarily have your own chair. Should those people be SOL?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I think the simplest solution to the abuse of the GAC policy would be that only guests with their own personal wheelchair or other such device would be provided with a GAC and allowed front of line access. Anyone using a Disney provided device would not.
    In essence, those with serious enough issues that need such devices would already have one.

Yes, there are those occasions where someone who is not actually handicapped, but is not capable of standing in excessively long lines, could need a wheelchair. However, that doesn't mean that they would need front of line access.
    100% agree. If you have a condition that makes it impossible for you to wait in a normal queue, then there is a 99% chance that you will already have your own ECV or Wheelchair.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine711 View Post
    That's insane, it sounds like alot of the users are claiming anxiety issues, so we should probably start implementing a program in the schools to fix that.

that being said, I have a few odd social anxieties myself, i used to start hyperventilating while waitng to get off the school bus because I didn't know what order i should unload, "should I wait and go after that guy?," I also tend to get really sick in groups of people. But I wouldn't use that to get ahead.
    Oddly enough, I'm also allergic to the sun (seattlite) I break out in crazy, painful rashes and get really sick in the heat. Still, not gonna use it.
    My social anxieties have gotten so bad that I think I would be too anxious to use the GAC pass now given its rep.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

I am kind of torn on this. I somewhat see the humor aspect, and I have seen the GAC abuses, but I have seen the other side as well.

Two years ago we came to Disneyland with my mother-in-law. It was a huge deal. She was very large and was typically confined to her bed. After getting out of a physical rehabilitation center after a scare (her body was not getting rid of carbon dioxide properly and she went into a coma), she was determined to get better and go to Disneyland with us.

I won't give a full trip report here, but they cast members were wonderful. If you just looked at her, you would have seen a very overweight person with an oxygen tank - not the lung disease, and host of other issues including those that cause the abnormal weight gain. Not everyone is fat just because they are fat.

Sadly, she eventually got worse again and she passed away at the beginning of this year. Of course, since she also lived with us and we were all very close, it is a very tough loss. We did find something to take our minds off of it, though. A few weeks after she passed, we bought our first APs and took a weekend trip south to Anaheim.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

•   
    • Minion

The thing about the ECVs/wheelchairs is that many times it's impossible for them to go through the normal queue or loading area. This is something that Disney is resolving with newer rides, so ECVs/etc. wait with the regular lines, but if you're trying to get on, say, any of the Fantasyland dark rides, or the Jungle Cruise, or Splash, or what have you, your chair just isn't going to be able to navigate those narrow switchbacks and stairs.

So if you have an ECV, whether it's rented or yours, you have to go through the accessible line. You're not trying to jump the queue, you're trying to get on the ride. And as mentioned, there are a lot of legitimate reasons why a person would rent an ECV. If you've had any sort of leg or knee injury, you're not going to spend thousands of dollars buying your own ECV when you probably won't need it in six months. If you have something like cystic fibrosis or cancer -- and CF is a biggie with those teenagers who look "well" -- maybe you can walk on a day to day basis but can't handle the all-day walking and standing at Disneyland. Heck, even if you have something like arthritis you might not be able to handle it. My mother has a number of health issues--if she needs to walk to the store, she's fine. She just couldn't walk around Disney all day. There are lots of reasons. You'd want to rent a chair of some sort, and you might go for the ECV because you don't want your companions to get exhausted by pushing you in a wheelchair.

I think the best way to stop ECV abuse is to continue making ALL the queues accessible. it would make life easier for legit users, it would solve problems about large groups, and it would make it possible for ECV or wheelchair users to use Fastpass. And if potential ECV abusers realized that they were still going to have to wait in the regular queues for all their rides, they might be less willing to plunk down that $50 and rent one for the day.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-23-2012 at 10:34 PM.

• AKA - DisneyChris

South Park - New episode with scenes at Disneyland

Did anyone see the brand new South Park episode, which aired a couple weeks ago, that had a few brief scenes that took place at Disneyland? I was watching the episode, and had to sort of do a double take when they showed the Jungle Cruise queue building. It was surprisingly accurate. I had never seen a non Disney cartoon do such an authentic job. I was impressed. Also, they show the Castle in the next scene, again it looks just like the real thing, and later in the episode, they show the main entrance with the train station and Mickey floral. This looked perfect too. It was deffinately done in the South Park style, but it looked very much like a photo of the real park.

I know you can see this episode on Hulu if you have a premium membership - Comedy central may have a web site too that shows South Park but not sure. I watched it on Hulu.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Re: South Park - New episode with scenes at Disneyland

There was a thread posted about this episode on the 5th.

The threads have been Merged.

Was a great episode.
    Last edited by orbitalpunk; 10-27-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: I had to save Private Ryan

• AKA - DisneyChris

Oh thanks Mr. OrbitalPunk --- I just saw it last night on hulu - LOL - I almost did a spit take when I saw the Jungle Cruise building.
    Last edited by DisneyChrisDotCom; 10-27-2012 at 01:19 PM.

An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• A Pirate's Life For Me...

Way too far from the magic..Glendale, Arizona

An episode of South Park is usually written and animated with in 6 days of it airing. Thats why they are able to poke fun at current events, situations, or people. I wonder what made them decide to do this topic now.

Thank you Poisonedapples for my my my signature!!!

• AKA - DisneyChris

Quote Originally Posted by XxBellaThornxX View Post
    An episode of South Park is usually written and animated with in 6 days of it airing. Thats why they are able to poke fun at current events, situations, or people. I wonder what made them decide to do this topic now.
    You must have seen that documentary too -

I know it is sooooo anti-Disney - but I love South Park - it is one of my forbidden pleasures.

• Chief Troublemaker

I wonder if Disney could restrict ECV rental to people with a doctor's note or state issued disabled parking placard, but rent wheelchairs based on a guest's verbal statement of disability. This would keep the ECVs for those that truly need them, but allow anyone to rent a wheelchair if they say they have mobility issues, or if they didn't bring a doctor's note with them. May not completely cut down on GAC fraud, but might discourage some that might not want to push & park a wheelchair all day long.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

I think they should make everyone that rents one watch an operation and safety video.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Their speed definitely needs to be limited.

• Big Thunder

This seems like a good idea, but has some problems. After five hip surgeries in just over a year, I have been compelled to retire because I have little stamina when it comes to standing or walking. I live in Idaho, and don't use any kind of assistive device or equipment here, but to cope with a trip to the parks I am considering renting an ECV or taking along one of those walkers with a seat on it.

Even if I owned and ECV, I can't imagine taking it on a flight. I assume there are others out there who are coming from distant regions and plan to rent the equipment they need in the park locally.

The best part about your post is that you proposed a solution, albeit flawed. Personally, I think the only way to solve this problem is to have guests who apply for the GAC produce documentation from a clinician verifying their ailment. Even if they arrived unprepared, I am certain the vast majority could get on the phone to their physician and have a note faxed to the Disney City Hall within a few minutes. The cast members could also, at their discretion waive the documentation requirement, but at least it would give them the backing they need to refuse GACs to the obvious fakers.
    Disney Fan in the Great White North

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234