• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Cool Neat article on the "Glow with the Show" ears from the OC Register...

Check it out, from the OC Register: Disney's mouse ears become interactive | hats, disney, davis - Business - The Orange County Register

"I saw these ears and thought this was something absolutely fun to reverse engineer," said Zylstra, who has a background in technology and works for Disney fan site Micechat.
    Because the hats were given away free at the special event Zylstra didn't have a problem tearing them apart and looking inside. He found a Texas Instruments chip inside and each ear had an LED light while the right ear contained an infrared receiver and the left a transmitter. That transmitter means the hat is not only capable of receiving signals from the park but it can talk back too. And the hats can talk to each other as well. The proof? Zylstra and a friend were playing with the hats and noticed that when you put two close to each other they would sync and display the same colors.

[...]

Disney senior technical director Chuck Davis says they've just scratched the surface of what can be done with the technology.
    If you happen to be a celebrating a birthday, the hats could behave a certain way, Davis said. Even more, if you happen to pass by another person celebrating a birthday, the hats could react and provide a special experience. Or a group with the hats can have them all behave a certain way unique to their group.
    Yes, I am the one quoted in the article. I've had fun playing with the ears, and doing a little reverse engineering on what they can do, how the broadcasts from ear-to-ear work, and overall geeking out with them. I've learned way more that I wanted to about infrared, including timing pulses, preambles, and Pronto codes.
    -Monorail Man

•   
    • Banned User

Re: Neat article on the "Glow with the Show" ears from the OC Register...

Very cool. Thanks for posting and looking into this. I've done a bit of micro LED controller work for my friends who go to raves and would love to get some of these just to tinker with it and refit them into other things.

This is great! How much do these hats cost?
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

• Disneyland History Lover

Nicely done, MM! That's really cool that you did the work on the ears. For what they are, they really are a little bit of Disney marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Very cool. Thanks for posting and looking into this. I've done a bit of micro LED controller work for my friends who go to raves and would love to get some of these just to tinker with it and refit them into other things.
    Come up with a cool idea and put it on Kickstarter. I'm not particularly good with electronics, but there are a million things you could do with this type of gadget. At parties, clubs, bars, etc. I'm sure Disney has a patent, though.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    This is great! How much do these hats cost?
    I just bought a pair last Saturday and they were $23.something... I used my annual pass and got $2.3something off. I found them at World of Disney on Downtown Disney and also saw them inside the gift shop at Paradise Pier Hotel.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• I'm not really here

They are definitely a slick piece of engineering. The whole system is. I'd love to get my hands on the show control code myself, being a programmer.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter