Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• a damsel not in distress

grand californian hotel?

so we're in the midst of planning a trip to disneyland for my family and i was thinking of booking rooms at the grand californian. my parents love the cabin feel of the outside and my sister likes the idea of having a separate entrance to dca in the hotel. i personally like having views of the park. are there any features that also add to the experience of staying at the grand californian? does anybody have good/bad experiences staying there?

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Sock Puppet

Re: grand californian hotel?

If you get a Park View room of DCA you will be able to see WOC at night. Also the rooms play the music through the tv of the fireworks..other then that, i felt the rooms were small for the price..

Are you going in the summer? One perk of staying there is riding Grizzly River Run, getting drenched and being two minutes from your room! Depending on how many of you are going, the villas are amazing. We did a long weekend princess trip with six adults and three children 5-7 and it was fantastic. Nice kitchen to prepare meals, plenty of sleeping areas and bathroom space.

• Chief Troublemaker

My DH & I just returned from a 4 night stay at the DGC in a 2 queen courtyard view room. We had a previous 2 night stay in a theme park view (DH, me, & then 16 yr old DS) in 2005. Some have said they think the rooms small, it was plenty big enough for the 2 of us, but just enough room for the 3 of us. (I'll mention that DH is 6'5'' & DS 6'2'' & both are big guys.) However, I do think that 4 adults would be pretty 'close quarters' in one room, but since you mention booking room'S' I assume you will be two to a room.

For the theme park view we had an excellent unobstructed view of GRR, Mickey Wheel, & CS, but this was before the DGC expansion. Not sure what the views are like now. The courtyard view this visit was very pretty & we could watch the monorail run. With the courtyard room we could also access a staircase down to the courtyard, 'shortcutting' to the DTD entrance making it a bit shorter walk to the DL main gate. It can be quite a walk around the corridor back to the elevators, down to the lobby & then out through the courtyard to the entrance. You have to take the 'long way' back, as the staircases are 'exit only'. For me, I probably would get the courtyard again next time. We just aren't in the room enough to enjoy a theme park room. LOL. As far as WOC, there is also a balcony on the 6th floor where you can go watch it.

Both stays (2005/2012) Mousekeeping was excellent. Rooms were spotlessly cleaned while we were out, towels & toiletries replaced, beds neatly made (quarter-bouncing neat). The bathroom & dressing area were always sparkling. I can't say enough. Front desk staff, bell staff, waitstaff at restaurants, all excellent.

The Villas mentioned in a previous post are part of the DVC, but I understand they can be rented by non-owners. The 'regular' hotel rooms have a coffee-maker & fridge, but no microwaves or kitchen facilities.

The 'private' entrance to DCA is really nice, especially for changing clothes after GRR! It's also nice to have such a short walk back to the room for an afternoon siesta or just a break from the crowds. If we didn't want to snooze, a nice glass of wine while lazing on the bed (with the AC blasting, we were there during the heat last month!) was soo nice.

In short, we enjoyed both our stays at the DGC, so much so that we won't stay anywhere else when we go back. I think you'll be glad you stayed there. I KNOW your parents will be! We're probably closer to your parent's ages than yours (LOL) and the DGC is really perfect for, ahem, "people of that age" LOL again!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Both stays (2005/2012) Mousekeeping was excellent.
    Mousekeeping...that made me giggle....

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    so we're in the midst of planning a trip to disneyland for my family and i was thinking of booking rooms at the grand californian. my parents love the cabin feel of the outside and my sister likes the idea of having a separate entrance to dca in the hotel. i personally like having views of the park. are there any features that also add to the experience of staying at the grand californian? does anybody have good/bad experiences staying there?
    1. If you stay at any of the onsite hotels you can use the GCH entrance into DCA.

2. Overall views of the parks are better from the Paradise Pier Hotel. In the PPH half of the rooms face DCA directly. At the Disneyland Hotel some of the rooms face the parks but not with as close a view.

From the GCH a small number of rooms have an semi ok fireworks view. Not many are above the trees to see into DL very well. Looking toward DCA some rooms see WoC not many and the WoC show is much, much better in the park.

I agree for the luxury price of the GCH the rooms are small. The pools are nice. It's about 5 to 10 minutes from the GCH rooms to the parks from the DLH about 15 to 20, from the PPH about 10 to 15. There isn't any other GCH only perks, anyone can dine in the hotels or use the spa. Anyone can walk through the lobby and enjoy the lodge styling, in fact it's quicker from the PPH to walk through the GCH to get to the parks and through the DL to go between DL and DCA.

Generally for my onsite stays I choose the hotel by price. If GCH is really high when I'm going I'll take the DLH instead or PPH. If GCH is low it's nice to stay there.

• a damsel not in distress

thanks for all your insight everybody! i think we'll go ahead and try for the grand californian. along with all the aspects we like about it before, but all of your little tips really sold me. we'll definitely keep an eye out for price, like swampy suggested, but i think it will be worth it!

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Minion

Stayed in the Dvc wing great experience the rooftop terrace in the Dvc wing has a great view of paradise bay and looks amazing at night.

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    If you get a Park View room of DCA you will be able to see WOC at night. Also the rooms play the music through the tv of the fireworks..other then that, i felt the rooms were small for the price..
    Not all of the park view rooms have a view of the lagoon or WoC.

We enjoyed our stay their. The amenities are wonderful, and the access to DTD and DCA is great to have.

• Minion

GC DCA Entrance

I thought they'd changed the rule to only GC guests could use this entrance.

You might try the Trip Advisor reviews of the three Disney properties for more accurate, less biased opinions.

• Sock Puppet

Re: GC DCA Entrance

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland255 View Post
    I thought they'd changed the rule to only GC guests could use this entrance.

Nope. They only had that *rule* for a short time when WOC first started. Anyone can use it now.Even AP holders...

---------- Post added 10-06-2012 at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Popcornballs View Post
    You might try the Trip Advisor reviews of the three Disney properties for more accurate, less biased opinions.

I just looked at those reviews...not great reviews.. i read the last one from october 5th on trip advisor, they were not happy with the room, i think that Paradise Pier is a better view of DCA and WOC. And the prices are better and the rooms are nice..but i guess in most cases it's the GCH and you gotta try it at least once for the experience
    Last edited by Poisonedapples; 10-06-2012 at 10:29 AM.

We love GCH. With elderly parents it's great.

Staying at the Grand Californian is a wonderful experience if it fits in the budget. I would say that the GC is more stately, elegant, and well, "grand", and better suited for adults as opposed to the Disneyland Hotel which is more Disney and fun. I have never been in more quieter hotel room that what we had at the GC. Stayed there twice and neither time we requested or had a park view. One stay we had an interior view (you could seen the monorail whizzing by) and the other was a view of Downtown Disney (great for people watching). The rooms were on the small side. The other thing I am not fond of is if you don't use the DCA entrance, you get funneled out down by the World of Disney Store (how convenient). The "front" entrance of the GC is seldom used for anything other than accessing transportation. Would I stay there again? Absolutely - budget permitting.
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

There is no comparison...GCH is the best! We actually wanted the view of DL fireworks and DTD. We loved our rooms so much! At night you could open your doors and sit on your balcony listening to the music from various musicians below. Also, the fireworks were great from the comfort of our own room. It's worth the $$ to experience it at least once!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast