Atypical 3rd Gate Concept: Disney's Mansions

My illustrative plan is more of an exercise in blue-sky conceptualizing since it doesn't likely fit any of the land constraints of the future DLR, but it does break from the Marvel or DisneySea ideas sometimes floated for a distant 3rd Gate...

Five mansions forming a cul-de-sac, each home to a fictional person of renown. By exploring each mansion, the visitor would be able to enter the wider world of that character...

HOUSE OF THE ARTIST

Since this mansion is in the 12 o'clock position, I imagined the park gates, entry street, and central hub in a similar theme: idealized, historic western European styles: beaux-arts, 2nd Empire, Art Nouveau, marble facades, mansard roofs, heavy iron streetlamps, etc. The mansion could be inspired by the Palais du Luxemboug (as with all others, in a scaled-down, forced-perspective way). This - and each - mansion would be fully explorable & interactive and multi-leveled, telling an interwoven tale of mystery & adventure, with many secrets/details to discover upon repeat visits. The northern side of the House continues the Tuileries/Parisian setting: formal gardens, grand facades and a large fountain. The circuitous river (with a steamer stop in each land) becomes the Seine in this land, with an upper & lower embankment. Across the Seine are structures inspired by – but not duplicating (I don’t think actual landmarks ought to be replicated in miniature here, but serve as inspiration for homages) Notre Dame (on the Ile de la Cite) and the Louvre. The former would house a Hunchback darkride and the latter an interactive mystery adventure involving the works of art within (i.e., Da Vinci Code). A sub-land leaves the city behind and moves into the forested outskirts where fairy tales are brought to life in both dark (a haunted castle omnimover) and light (a slow-moving storybook river cruise) ways. Dining & retail facilities are located throughout (e.g., a museum café in the Louvre, a Parisian bistro, etc.).

HOUSE OF THE SPY

Moving counter-clockwise, the next mansion is that of a retired secret agent, containing an array of hidden passages, a training course, communications & weapons rooms, etc. The house and land are based on a historic & romanticized Constantinople/Istanbul. Like Paris, the specific time varies by attraction but it all pre-dates the era of Postmodernism (1949). The mansion itself would be set in a later phase of the era (1920s-40s) with technology such as two-way radio, telephone, early film projector, etc.), whereas the Abdul Aboubil Amir musical darkride would be during the Crimean War of the 1870s. The dominant feature across Bosphorus (river) recalls (but again, does not re-create) the famed Hagia Sophia (housing a cultural darkride) and Galata Tower complex (housing an indoor darkcoaster). Spice markets and a narrow ‘Theives Alley’ offer unique retail opportunities. The Orient Express train is preparing to depart on an elevated train station (this would house an interactive adventure featuring a train simulator (circlevision)).

HOUSE OF THE SCIENTIST

This is the only land & mansion set in the present, or to be exact, the near-future. I was inspired by the curvy Tony Stark’s house in ‘Iron Man’ when I imagined the mansion (there is a helipad for a semi-futuristic helicopter to rest on). The house belongs to a biologist, who searches for interesting life in the rainforests, under the seas and in the center of the earth. While the Volcano and JTTCOTE may seem to recall the Victorian Steampunk of TDS, this version would be set, again, in the near-future, with different queue, ride vehicles, set dressings, etc. Also in the caldera is a submarine research base (simulator). The rainforest portion of the land is home to a terrain-following jungle coaster located (queue and load area is an abandoned research station). There is an extensive, outdoor jungle EMV ride. A sea base (inspired by The Living Seas) leads to an E-ticket undersea ride involving hungry sharks.

HOUSE OF THE MARINER

The land the right of the entrance is reached by the Sea Captain’s Mansion. The house could be assembled (or repaired) from parts of salvaged ships, with docks nearby. Passing through, one overlooks an 18th century port, with elements of both the New England and The Caribbean. Legends of the Sea is POTC in scale but focuses on wider oceanic tales (sirens, Moby Dick, etc.) rather than pirates. Buccaneer references can be found in the Dead Man’s Diamond Mine coaster (Big Thunder Scale) and the live, stunt battles that take place on the lagoon (with cannon fire exchanged between the island fort and the ship). A decrepit lighthouse on a rocky mount houses a free-fall ride.

HOUSE OF THE EXPLORER

The final mansion is set upon an elevated ridge and reflects the Tibetan monestary-style. It is home to an Explorer who’s favored locale is Asia, from the Himilayas to the South China Sea. A new, expanded version of Expedition Everest dominates the Himalayan sub-area. A jungle river rapids ride is built into the foothills of Everest. Moving downriver the architecture and landscape reflect the transition to a romanticized historic Southeast Asia of Burma & Rangoon. An Indy-type ride takes place in Angkor-Wat style ruins. There is an animal exploration trail (akin to Maharajah Jungle Trek, but set in Thailand). Finally, there is a floating marketplace for a unique retail experience.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 10-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.

• Just this guy......

Re: Atypical 3rd Gate Concept: Disney's Mansions

A very creative and original idea.

I don't think that you map fits into the "toy story" lot where the 3rd park would go.

• Nic

Those are amazing ideas. I love how the Hunchback ride would be in the castle.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

^&^^ Thanks.

don't think that you map fits into the "toy story" lot where the 3rd park would go.
    Definitely not. It's an expansive park - bigger than DLP but not as big as EPCOT. Size comparison with the original DL:

Both DL and DCA are fairly small theme parks in terms of a total acreage. And from my cursory knowledge of available land near DL, a 3rd Gate (in Toy Story Lot) would be have to be significantly smaller than either. This begs the question: is a 3rd full-day theme park even realistically possible for DLR.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Great ideas there Mr. Savage!
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Disneyman

Very creative. I love the mansions idea!
    "It's fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

• We Go On.

Brilliant, original idea. I love it!

good stuff. i want to go to this park!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Definitely not. It's an expansive park - bigger than DLP but not as big as EPCOT. Size comparison with the original DL:

Both DL and DCA are fairly small theme parks in terms of a total acreage. And from my cursory knowledge of available land near DL, a 3rd Gate (in Toy Story Lot) would be have to be significantly smaller than either. This begs the question: is a 3rd full-day theme park even realistically possible for DLR.
    Could it fit. With any blue sky idea, it could. The Toy Story Lot isn't the limit of where it could go. Disney may in the end aquire the whole block even though there are currently hotels, houses and a few other businesses there. After all it did that to put parking there. Disney did the same to build out DL and DCA. It didn't start owning everthing between Ball to Katella and West St to Harbor.

Also bridges over the streets could allow another gate to expand to other blocks. Think of DTD that spans Disneyland Dr, a public street.

Would a park start as a full day park. Probably not but maybe. It depends if Disney considers a park with too little to do a less learned from DCA. Or if it would follow the stay anothe day model of WDW where it slowly develops the new gates from small parks. In a manner a park cannot start at 100% built, because they depend on expansion to drive increased attendance and capacity. Keep in mind that the number of attractions in Disneyland Park is enormous and there are full day parks with a fraction of that amount. Guests on average experience only 9 attractions per day.

^^^ Appreciate the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Could it fit. With any blue sky idea, it could. The Toy Story Lot isn't the limit of where it could go. Disney may in the end aquire the whole block even though there are currently hotels, houses and a few other businesses there. After all it did that to put parking there. Disney did the same to build out DL and DCA. It didn't start owning everthing between Ball to Katella and West St to Harbor.

Also bridges over the streets could allow another gate to expand to other blocks. Think of DTD that spans Disneyland Dr, a public street.

Would a park start as a full day park. Probably not but maybe. It depends if Disney considers a park with too little to do a less learned from DCA. Or if it would follow the stay anothe day model of WDW where it slowly develops the new gates from small parks. In a manner a park cannot start at 100% built, because they depend on expansion to drive increased attendance and capacity. Keep in mind that the number of attractions in Disneyland Park is enormous and there are full day parks with a fraction of that amount. Guests on average experience only 9 attractions per day.
    Good insight. Thanks.

• Minion

This is great! I love it, so original and cool. Not cliche at all.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

this was really interesting and well thought-out! i found myself wishing it was a real plan when i finished reading

• Minion

Very interesting idea.

Also I have to say, wow - I thought that map was a real Disney theme park map you were using as an example, until I looked closer and saw that it was your concept, so I guess you must have drawn it. Great job.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.