Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Hot FIRE!

Re: Looks like more NextGen stuff is starting to roll out

It begins...

...As I see it

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post
    Well, considering this website (MiceChat) currently has installed 20 Cookies in my browser, it seems no less nefarious nor creepy that Disney wishes to track people within the Parks.
    I hear ya. MC has been "conflicting" w/ McAfee for a few weeks now.

~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Not saying it's not going to happen, but filing patents and frequencies with the FCC doesn't exactly mean it will be happening. Apple submits tons a patents that they never have or will use.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Disposable? I'm not an environment nut by any means, but it just sounds very wasteful to go this way. I'm assuming they can remove the battery, recharge?, melt down the plastic, remold, etc. but I wouldn't be surprised if these ended up in a landfill somewhere...
    I do agree with you. That would be my only real concern. Perhaps Disney could have easy access to recycle bins for these near the park gates? People could easily drop them in on the last day of their trip.

I still don't find anything creepy about Disney knowing where I am or what I'm doing inside their park. I value my privacy very much, this just seems harmless and doesn't feel invasive to me. What I don't understand, however, are the people I see on my Facebook, willingly, announcing to every one wherever they are. Their exact location at a restaurant, movie theatre, or even on vacation and for how many days. (Before they leave, when you're back it's not really an issue anymore.) Privacy settings are helpful, but spread the news where you are and for how long, and it can make your empty home a sitting duck for a criminal. Or your precise location an invitation for a creepy stalker...
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

• Mrs. J. Depp

I'm sorry but this is a wretched idea. Whats with all the technology? It's not always better. Maybe they can just work on making all tickets plastic or out of a biodegradable material so they can be thrown away but won't be harmful to the environment.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

It looks so bulky and annoying to wear. And I like tickets as souvenirs.

• Minion

Yeah, I have to chime in on the tracking thing. Considering I'm already being tracked via GPS with my phone, tracking myself on social networking sites (ie, "checking in"), and likely more than I'm currently unaware of, I have no qualms with letting Disney know what ride I'm going on or what places I'm dining at. If anything, it'll tell them what is popular and what needs to be improved. Like, if they see a lot of check ins to a restaurant/counter service area but bad sales, perhaps there is something they can do to improve that.

I do think that it looks fairly annoying to wear, but if this is an optional thing, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. The benefits (or supposed benefits) you'd get from this would far exceed the cost of wearing it.

Everyone is tracked someway these days whether you notice it or not. Grocery stores takes note of everything that you buy and creates usable statistical data. Some of this data could possibly be sold. Tracking one of these is no different than using a rewards card. They have your data and they will track what you do.

Judging from the names on the device, it could be possible that they are looking at ways to make the device collectable. I wouldn't be surprised if they make these bands reusable. Guests could purchase tickets and "Re-charge" the band.

Also one thing to note - We don't really know how close they got to this. It could be tiny for all we know. Probably big enough to read the name, but not as big as the picture makes it look.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 10-06-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Under that tree again!

FYI.

If you are just finding out about this, it may be news to you, but not to everyone. They have been testing this stuff in WDW for over a year. Multiple tests there, not in DLR. Sure it may be coming but really nothing new in this article.

Offering wireless access is a misleading statement. These bands in the article don't offer wireless access in DLR or WDW.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    FYI.

If you are just finding out about this, it may be news to you, but not to everyone. They have been testing this stuff in WDW for over a year. Multiple tests there, not in DLR. Sure it may be coming but really nothing new in this article.
    Sure there is new stuff..
    • the bracelet itself being confirmed - all the tests up to this point have been with tickets with a RFID sticker attached or cards. Bracelets have not been confirmed by Disney prior to this
    • the fact the bracelet has an active radio, and not just a passive reflective RFID tag
    • The PHOTO of the said bracelet
    • The idea that Disney put it through the FCC pretty much confirms this option is still on the table and going to be part of the offerings
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Sure there is new stuff..
    • the bracelet itself being confirmed - all the tests up to this point have been with tickets with a RFID sticker attached or cards. Bracelets have not been confirmed by Disney prior to this
    • the fact the bracelet has an active radio, and not just a passive reflective RFID tag
    • The PHOTO of the said bracelet
    • The idea that Disney put it through the FCC pretty much confirms this option is still on the table and going to be part of the offerings

Pretend this photo is fake.

Name:  DOCUMENTS_DT012-Disney_NextGen_Wristband_RoomKey.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  58.2 KB

I have heard from an "inside source" that is working on this, it is not something for rich people to buy and shut out everyone else (like buying the fast pass at Universal) it is something everyone can get and will be an "enhancing experience" or something. I think the comforting thing is it doesn't involving paying extra for it. Or so the person said. It might just be a more advanced Fast Pass system...

---------- Post added 10-06-2012 at 10:14 PM ----------

I'm not sure what people have a problem with. Do any of you own a smart phone??? You are being tracked. Who really cares if Disney knows where you are in the park? They can track you from your credit card purchases or hotel card swipes...

Its real REAL good that you're doing that Disney... Real good... I like that you done that... Its real good you're putting those bands on us. Real good.

(Don't let them wish you into the corn field).

• HYDRA

it looks like the mickey in the circle is the the NextGen logo
    Fastpass+
    WDW app on iOS
    now on the bracelet
    Take a look at the theme park models I make at kolbykonnection.com

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    I have heard from an "inside source" that is working on this, it is not something for rich people to buy and shut out everyone else (like buying the fast pass at Universal) it is something everyone can get and will be an "enhancing experience" or something. I think the comforting thing is it doesn't involving paying extra for it. Or so the person said. It might just be a more advanced Fast Pass system...

---------- Post added 10-06-2012 at 10:14 PM ----------

I'm not sure what people have a problem with. Do any of you own a smart phone??? You are being tracked. Who really cares if Disney knows where you are in the park? They can track you from your credit card purchases or hotel card swipes...

Its real REAL good that you're doing that Disney... Real good... I like that you done that... Its real good you're putting those bands on us. Real good.

(Don't let them wish you into the corn field).
    Yeah for me anyway....i dont care if they track me...i just go to have fun..i dont break rules or anything so why do I care if they know what rides i go on

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Yeah, I have to chime in on the tracking thing. Considering I'm already being tracked via GPS with my phone, tracking myself on social networking sites (ie, "checking in"), and likely more than I'm currently unaware of, I have no qualms with letting Disney know what ride I'm going on or what places I'm dining at.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Yeah for me anyway....i dont care if they track me...i just go to have fun..i dont break rules or anything so why do I care if they know what rides i go on
    Name:  8cf.png
Views: 229
Size:  204.3 KB
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast