Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Looks like more NextGen stuff is starting to roll out

There are so many simple aspects about the Disney parks that I adore and tickets and fastpasses are totally one of those things. I also like the old fashioned looking turnstiles at many of the rides (though I have a feeling they count guests). I understand that many people think that this bracelet is a revolutionary and amazing idea, but quite honestly I can't get over the creep factor. I have this repetitive image of the bracelet shorting out while being worn and causing someone to electrocute or be shocked.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I understand that many people think that this bracelet is a revolutionary and amazing idea, but quite honestly I can't get over the creep factor. I have this repetitive image of the bracelet shorting out while being worn and causing someone to electrocute or be shocked.
    That's probably one of the most horrible things I've heard all day. scary. Little kids would be wearing them.

• Embrace the kitsch!

I realize we don't have any definite word on how this will be used yet, but I really hope they're just going to be optional. Speaking for myself, there's no way in they will ever get me to wear one of these slave bracelets. (Yes, I said it. That's what they look like to me and I doubt I'm the only one.)
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

It may become a staus symbol, it could have GCH Guest stamped on it. It is not much different than the wrist bands they give you for the Halloween Party.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The upsell is the designer bracelets...

For lots more artwork and other ideas listed in one place check out this article
    DizTech Vol. 12 - NextGen: RFID Wristbands, Enhanced PhotoPass & FastPass and New Guest Experiences!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    It may become a staus symbol...
    No question about it -- status and the perception of it is going to be a top selling point.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Question; how secure are they? What if someone sees you leave your room and takes note of the room number, then while in the elevator with you, bumps into your wrist with his own RFID reader.Would he then be able to dupicate your RFID signal to get into your room? Or charge purchases ?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    I realize we don't have any definite word on how this will be used yet, but I really hope they're just going to be optional. Speaking for myself, there's no way in they will ever get me to wear one of these slave bracelets. (Yes, I said it. That's what they look like to me and I doubt I'm the only one.)
    People just fear the new like crazy, all this device is trying to do is help make your day easier.....like being used for your ticket, FP and telling you show times and wait time....ohh no sounds horrible

In ten years NO one will care but the people that always have to be negative and never want to move forward.....unlike changing a ride this system in no way can be bad.....and if your like OMG but now they know where I am at all times...WHO cares what are you hiding?

I'm weary about NextGen too, but if you think about it, Disney is trying to do something that no other park has done. I think a good portion of us (including myself) have a fear of "the unknown". This is a dramatic change to what we're used to and we have a hard time seeing our theme park experience differently.

Disney is trying to revolutionize the theme park... again (as Disney should be doing).

I see this and I see a world of possibilities. You can enter the park without a ticket, have your Fastpasses on it, get into your hotel room with it and even, possibly interact with queues with it. There's something about this I find really really cool.

We have to keep and open mind. If we don't, the parks won't move forward. They are trying to technologically improve their parks and when it's done, Disney will be a pioneer in this theme park technology.

Broadway Guru, Why do you call these slave bracelets? The company has your information stored in the server, not the chip, so it would take some effort for someone to even breach the information. If your talking about Disney getting data on where you are, you are worrying over nothing. I'm sure you use a debit card somewhere at some time, they take information on where you've been. The stores then will take down what you purchased. This is big when you use a rewards card somewhere - They log everything you bought and when you bought it. They then use the statistical data to make other business-related decisions.

You are already being watched everywhere in real life, why can't Disney use this?

---------- Post added 10-11-2012 at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    Question; how secure are they? What if someone sees you leave your room and takes note of the room number, then while in the elevator with you, bumps into your wrist with his own RFID reader.Would he then be able to dupicate your RFID signal to get into your room? Or charge purchases ?
    It really depends if the card readers for the rooms are networked or not. Security features on these systems would eliminate the possibility of this happening. The servers that run the system could jumble the key of each one at specific intervals.

If you look or are familiar on how passwords really work deep down, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 10-11-2012 at 07:04 AM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Broadway Guru, Why do you call these slave bracelets? The company has your information stored in the server, not the chip, so it would take some effort for someone to even breach the information. If your talking about Disney getting data on where you are, you are worrying over nothing. I'm sure you use a debit card somewhere at some time, they take information on where you've been. The stores then will take down what you purchased. This is big when you use a rewards card somewhere - They log everything you bought and when you bought it. They then use the statistical data to make other business-related decisions.
    I call it a slave bracelet because the one in the picture looks like a shackle. When you read the articles and find out what it does, it sounds like something out of a dystopian sci-fi novel. Just because I have a debit card and a rewards card doesn't mean I want to go around wearing them. That kind of thing just screams "slave to the machine!"

When fully implemented, these things will be capable of tracking every move you make, every purchase, every ride. Am I the only one who finds that creepy? When an individual does that, we call it stalking. When a corporation does it, it's okay because it's "market research." WTF?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    I call it a slave bracelet because the one in the picture looks like a shackle. When you read the articles and find out what it does, it sounds like something out of a dystopian sci-fi novel. Just because I have a debit card and a rewards card doesn't mean I want to go around wearing them. That kind of thing just screams "slave to the machine!"

When fully implemented, these things will be capable of tracking every move you make, every purchase, every ride. Am I the only one who finds that creepy? When an individual does that, we call it stalking. When a corporation does it, it's okay because it's "market research." WTF?
    Bingo. My prediction, though, is that people will trample over each other to wear these things at the Parks as a status symbol. A badge of membership in an elite club.

There's knowing where you live, and knowing where you live -- and Disney is savvy to both.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-11-2012 at 10:09 AM.

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^he bought an ice cream, a goofy hat and a meal for his family....now we have him

What the heck could they do with the info besides offer you deals or suggest restaurants? In a way couldn't APs have the samething happening now....they can know when we go into the parks and how long, what rides we FP and we get discounts on food and toys so they can already know all this now....but the bracelet thats the problem

• Avid MC reader since 2005

If they made them comfortable and stylish (different shapes and designs for women vs. men, boys vs. girls. i.e. for women: slimming like a woman's watch and added different colors/patterns/themes with Disney characters or attractions to choose from) I would be less adverse to it. Those things look ugly and uncomfortable. I don't think I'd want that showing up in all my vacation pictures.
    Also, how would this work for FP? Gone would be the days when you could collect everyone's tickets and run off to a FP machine by yourself while they do something else? Or would they put lots of RFID FP machines that included all rides throughout the park?
    They will have to make sure these things are very secure (regarding information safety, room access etc.) to avoid lawsuits. I'm sure they've thought of it. Also, I don't know how they could be safely tossed or recycled if they have sensitive information on them (name/address/room number/credit card info.)

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    What the heck could they do with the info besides offer you deals or suggest restaurants?
    A few deals or restaurant suggestions are hardly all that Disney will do with this system. By 2015 this forum will be full of threads debating the "Haves vs. Have Nots" division of Disneyland guests that NextGen will have created: NextGeneration Guests with their perks and privileges (of which you can be sure there will be many) vs. the tourist-class experience offered to the hoi polloi. Just watch.

- Neil Gabler

I'm more concerned that Disney will take the fingerprint they have on file for me and frame me for murder.

[edit] That's really weird, because after I posted that, I looked at my avatar and my title said, "Murderer". But after I blinked, it just said "Member" again, as it normally does. Whew! [/edit]
    ~ Erik

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast