Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Looks like more NextGen stuff is starting to roll out

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    I'm more concerned that Disney will take the fingerprint they have on file for me and frame me for murder.
    More likely they'll flood your mailbox with offers of "Who Killed Roger Rabbit" merch.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

[QUOTE=Mr Wiggins;1056850760]Bingo. My prediction, though, is that people will trample over each other to wear these things at the Parks as a status symbol. A badge of membership in an elite club.

Flaunt the gauntlet.. .... They could also add Glow with the Show to it

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    I'm more concerned that Disney will take the fingerprint they have on file for me and frame me for murder.

[edit] That's really weird, because after I posted that, I looked at my avatar and my title said, "Murderer". But after I blinked, it just said "Member" again, as it normally does. Whew! [/edit]
    Haha! Nice!!!

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    Flaunt the gauntlet.. .... They could also add Glow with the Show to it

Don't give them ideas!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

There was an article just the other day in the OC Register about independent ticket companies selling Disneyland tickets at discounted prices to guests. They referred to it as "ticket rentals". The article states that the ticket companies are not doing anything illegal but that Disney can refuse entry into the park since it violates their own policies.

The article mentioned biometric (fingerprint) systems in use at Sea World and WDW. But a Disneyland spokesperson said that this would not be coming to Disneyland due to "new technology" that is being developed.

This must be that "new technology". Don't think for a minute that this is being done for the enjoyment of the guests. If there wasn't some type of profit involved (in this case money gained through loss prevention) Disney wouldn't even consider it.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    This must be that "new technology". Don't think for a minute that this is being done for the enjoyment of the guests. If there wasn't some type of profit involved (in this case money gained through loss prevention) Disney wouldn't even consider it.
    Disney is motivated also to distinguish themselves from the pack.. and do so in a way the other parks can't easily copy. Doing so gives them a more unique product they can sell at the prices they want to charge.

Everything is about money eventually - but this isn't just a loss prevention tool.. that's one of the many benefits the digital token will enable. There are many many many more possibilities... some guest features, some convenience, some operational gains, and some business model gains. This is just an enabling technology which Disney will be able to build new features, new capabilities, and new values upon for many years to come.

After all.. that's why the whole thing was labeled 'NextGen' and not just 'TicketCop'
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

This could be something that both Disney and guests could enjoy. Just because something will make money doesn't automatically mean It's not for the convenience of the guest. The guests have the money, and Disney needs to provide new services that the guests will like and then provide that service/product.

Of course they want money. Is that bad? I business needs profit to service Providing a service that will help guests and keep Disney from losing money is a win win situation. companies need to do this.

Everything comes down to money. Some of the things that you would never realize are there to make money. Disney has been doing it since the beginning. No company is going to start making snickerdoodles for 10 cents and sell them for 10 cents just for the pure joy of it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    In ten years NO one will care but the people that always have to be negative and never want to move forward.....unlike changing a ride this system in no way can be bad.....and if your like OMG but now they know where I am at all times...WHO cares what are you hiding?
    Let's turn it around. Why are you so eager to let everyone know where you've been and what you're doing at any given moment? Why do you assume anyone who doesn't want to be tracked must be hiding something? I'm not hiding anything; I just think some things are NONE OF THEIR D--N BUSINESS!

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^he bought an ice cream, a goofy hat and a meal for his family....now we have him
    Oh, look, he's in the bathroom. Wow, 15 minutes in there. Wonder what's going on.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

How do you go shopping if you don't want people knowing what your doing?

RFID's have a two foot range anyway. It's no different than swiping your ticket at a FP machine or a Turnstyle. The idea that they can find your location at any time using RFID is useless worrying.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Oh, look, he's in the bathroom. Wow, 15 minutes in there. Wonder what's going on.
    Yes, Disney will be spending their resources on tracking the bathroom usage of the average guest and then judging those guests based on that information. Some of us are not necessarily "eager" to let people know what we're doing at every point in time, but we're just not completely defensive about it. If Disney wants to know the popularity of such and such, then I'm more than willing to not change a thing about my habits in the park besides put on a bracelet to let them know that.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Yes, Disney will be spending their resources on tracking the bathroom usage of the average guest and then judging those guests based on that information.
    You're being sarcastic, aren't you?

I doubt that's their intention...just like I doubt the TSA really intended their scanners to be used as a free strip show. And yet that's just what happened earlier this year.

Female Passengers Say They Were Targeted for TSA Body Scanners | Threat Level | Wired.com

I think people are too quick to dismiss this because of who's doing it. If it was Microsoft or Homeland Security or Ralph's making people wear these things, you'd probably think it was creepy, but since it's our pal, good ol' Mickey, it's okay.

Some of us are not necessarily "eager" to let people know what we're doing at every point in time, but we're just not completely defensive about it. If Disney wants to know the popularity of such and such, then I'm more than willing to not change a thing about my habits in the park besides put on a bracelet to let them know that.
    Once again, the "but I have nothing to hide" argument.

Why Privacy Matters Even if You Have 'Nothing to Hide' - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

RFIDs aren't useful for tracking people's movements. Only when they check in with the device themselves.

Everything you do on the internet is tracked by your ISP, Everything that you purchase online is tracked by the company. Every purchase you make is tracked by the bank. Everywhere in public you go has surveillance. You're already tracked everywhere you go in public by someone. How is "swiping a chip" any different? I mean you already do it when you enter the park and get a Fastpass except they are now using chips instead of magnetic strips.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    RFIDs aren't useful for tracking people's movements. Only when they check in with the device themselves.
    The bracelets are more than just a simple RFID tag - read the article.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• rebmeM roinuJ

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Maybe they can just work on making all tickets plastic or out of a biodegradable material so they can be thrown away but won't be harmful to the environment.
    You mean like......paper? Lol.

• Senior Minion

...Of course they want money. Is that bad? I business needs profit to service Providing a service that will help guests and keep Disney from losing money is a win win situation. companies need to do this.

Everything comes down to money. Some of the things that you would never realize are there to make money. Disney has been doing it since the beginning. No company is going to start making snickerdoodles for 10 cents and sell them for 10 cents just for the pure joy of it.
    That's not the point. Disney making profits isn't the issue. It's how they make the profits that is being debated.

Everything you do on the internet is tracked by your ISP, Everything that you purchase online is tracked by the company. Every purchase you make is tracked by the bank. Everywhere in public you go has surveillance. You're already tracked everywhere you go in public by someone. How is "swiping a chip" any different? I mean you already do it when you enter the park and get a Fastpass except they are now using chips instead of magnetic strips.
    Again, off the point. Reread the OP -- this gadget isn't a passive RFID chip, it's a radio transmitter that broadcasts to a wireless infrastructure.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast