Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Looks like more NextGen stuff is starting to roll out

It seems to me that they were just giving the details of an RFID chip. Both chips are passive. RFID chips run off of UHF radio frequencies. It just so happens here that Disney wants to use a different radio frequency for these RFID chips. RFID chips do transmit data through radio waves.

The wireless infrastructure is just that. A chip communicates with a receiver and creates a wireless connection. That receiver then is connected to the central database of information.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Senior Minion

It's a radio transmitter.

From Disney's FCC application:

The EUT is a wrist-worn arm band operating in the 2.4 GHz band. It can be considered a portable transmitter per 47 CFR 2.1093 because it can be used within 20cm of the user’s torso. The antenna is internal to the unit and permanently attached. The antenna is a an inverted F antenna with 0 dBi of gain. The maximum peak conducted output power is 0.687 mW.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Wait... what's the argument again?

Of course it's a transmitter. What's the use of RFID if it can't transmit radio signals to a wireless receiver?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Let's turn it around. Why are you so eager to let everyone know where you've been and what you're doing at any given moment? Why do you assume anyone who doesn't want to be tracked must be hiding something? I'm not hiding anything; I just think some things are NONE OF THEIR D--N BUSINESS!

Oh, look, he's in the bathroom. Wow, 15 minutes in there. Wonder what's going on.
    Then don't where it.....but for me the benefits out way this..."negative" since I don't mind being watched at a public theme park...I'm on there land not mine and since I dont shoplift, liter, or get in fights at the park they can watch me all day I wont be doing anything wrong...also there is like 60 thousand other people there....how cant hey watch all of us that closely?

You also know under government law right now...you CAN be watched by an agent so keep that in mind...we no longer have the freedom of privacy like we used too

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    If these wristbands are going to be used in place of tickets, then I think APers should get implantable chips so that they can just wave their hands when they enter the park. They would self-destruct become inactive when your pass runs out.
    And that is because it could possibly become reality....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    More likely they'll flood your mailbox with offers of "Who Killed Roger Rabbit" merch.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

We have two separate items here! There's the Green All-Passive RFID Bracelet that they've rolled out before for admissions, and by itself would work fine as a replacement for tickets and money. It can have a Barcode on the outside plus a name laser-etched in for easy ID in your room, and when you scan it at a turnstile they can do a biometric check (fingerprint, iris, etc.) or pull up a file photo for comparison, and the computers and CM's can confirm it's Your Pass. And it'll work for decades if you wanted to keep renewing it.

That should stop the "Ticket Rental" fraud cold. Everyone's in the computer from their first visit on, and suddenly on the fourth day the fingerprint doesn't match, they take you aside and ask to see your ID...

And then there's the new grey Active Transponder + Passive RFID bracelet that the patent & FCC licensing on the first page referred to. Which can do everything above *plus* track your movements inside the park. Yes, there are the usual "Big Brother" privacy concerns, and no I wouldn't want them timing my Bathroom Breaks, BUT...

If I was a Parent bringing a child to a theme park or a water park, I /just might/ want a way to know where they are at all times - and if we get separated they can actively assist in finding them.

I might even want active turnstiles on all the Exit Turnstiles from that theme park or water park too that take the same biometrics, and if the child wasn't being accompanied by a Parent or Guardian bracelet with it's code linked to that Child bracelet who went out before they did *wouldn't let them out the turnstile and sets off an alarm.* Or better yet, the Parent has an active wristband too, and the Alarm if they get separated by more than a set distance. Bottom line: The child doesn't wander off without you.

Even the passive wristband and active exit and ride turnstiles can be useful. One, they've got an exact running head count for the Fire Department of exactly how many people are inside the park or inside the individual ride building - and if something goes Really Wrong they have a list of who hasn't been found and checked off yet.

The 'non-rechargeable battery in a sealed device' problem is easy to solve with an Inductive charger system (FrogPad, et al.) in every guest room (or supply a portable one) and an inductive pickup loop and NiMH or LiIon battery sealed inside the wristband. That will make sure the wristband lasts potentially several years - and it can even trigger an advisory at the gate that the battery is getting weak and it's finally time to get a new wristband.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

20cm is 8 inches. If that`s its range is how could they track your location? It`s not a GPS. If it`s range was bigger, say several yards,as you walk by it would set off every fastpass machine, turnstile, common entrances (not Rooms ) like the terrace at the GCH, pool gates or anything else they wanted to have receivers on.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    20cm is 8 inches. If that`s its range is how could they track your location?
    20cm is not the transmitter's range. 20cm is the distance between the transmitter and the user's body that defines it as a portable radio per FCC rules -- like cell phones, FRS/GMRS mobile transceivers, etc.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

What is its range? If you`re standing outside the Storytellers Cafe waiting for your turn, could it unintentionally unlock the pool gate a few yards away letting some kid in? If you go thru the turnstile and don`t buy anything,ride anything, or get a fastpass, but instead camp out with a blanket waiting for Fantasmic, how is it going to know where you are?

Look how RFIDs work in clothing stores. They are scanned at the checkout counter and when you walk between those barriers set up at the exit. Those sitting on the racks arn`t setting off anything
    Last edited by Jerryp49; 10-12-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

The active Ethernet style transponder doesn't need a really long transmit range for many things, 10 to 25 feet would be plenty for a properly designed turnstile or choke point - it just has to keep a kid from sneaking by - or being snuck by through force or guile.

Guile like... Kid being carried through the turnstile by a Non-Custodial Spouse that heard about Mommy's trip, showed up and bought a Park Ticket, and managed to get the kid alone - "Hey, Sport! I made it! Let's go get Lunch!" Daddy bought two One-Way Plane Tickets back to Aruba and has plans - The kid doesn't know what's going on, that's Daddy and I see him every two weeks...

The turnstile puts out a WiFi "Marco!" ping every few seconds, and listens for a bracelet response "Polo! #32A21B42" from someone going through. The turnstile then does a database dip to see how to treat that bracelet. Codes don't match up with the registered Parent nearby, the turnstile puts out an alert.

Receive range is only important if they want to use the system as a Reservations Beeper - when the bracelet beeps your table is ready. That's dependent on the broadcast power of the local Wi-LAN system.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    How do you go shopping if you don't want people knowing what your doing?
    I believe it's something called cash.....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    I believe it's something called cash.....
    Wow. Have we really gotten to the point where some ppl are forgetting that cash exists? I remember all those sayings in grade school: "...by the year 2000 [insert future here]..."
    One of them was a cashless society. While that is an option, there are some ppl who choose to live just next to the grid, or choose very carefully on how they live on it.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by skratch addict View Post
    You mean like......paper? Lol.
    I mean so they can also be waterproof because people complained of getting their paper tickets wet.

To me, tracking activity is just one step away from watching me with a camera and that creeps me out even though I know it's already being done.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryp49 View Post
    Look how RFIDs work in clothing stores. They are scanned at the checkout counter and when you walk between those barriers set up at the exit. Those sitting on the racks arn`t setting off anything
    Those security systems aren't typically RFID. They aren't scanning the item at the clerk, they are using a magnet to destroy the 'tag' so when you go through the door it won't set the alarm off.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Those RFIDs are somewhat weak. In this they will be using a thicker chip. RFIDs emit radio waves (hence the "radio" in Radio Frequency ID). The ones they will be using are about 3-10 bucks and are High Frequency RFIDs which require more energy to operate which is why I think they have the battery. I'm unsure what exactly the battery is for. It's either to add power to the HF Chips or for using a Battery assisted Passive (BAP) RFID.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast