Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Selfie Expert

Disneyland October 4th-6th, 2012

Hi, all! This is my first ever trip report, so cut me some slack. Also, I'm not photographer, I just use my point-and-shoot and sometimes my SLR (on auto settings, I use it for better image quality only because I lack any skills). Like I said, this is my first trip report, and my photos are uploading HUGE... I don't know how to resize so I'm sorry if that is bothersome. Finally, I apologize for my chipped nail polish haha

Since we knew this trip would be relatively crowded (we usually go on weekdays, plus it was Gay Days and Halloween Party days), we wanted to try and hit a few things that we have never tried before, and to try some new food!

We started our trip off (Oct. 4th, our wedding anniversary!) by checking at the ticket booths about any Halloween Party tickets being available. They confirmed it was sold out, so we went on our way. Our first stop was the Main Street train station to ask about getting a ride on the tender seat and the Lilly Belle. We were told the Lilly Belle was booked for the day trips, but to check back at 4pm (it was about 11am at this time), and to wait for the tender seat now.

While waiting for our tender seat ride, I took this picture:

I thought it was kind of neat, and then you throw the black & white filter on it and everything just looks better! Yep, skills.... Right? Haha

Anyway, we finally got on the tender seat, and I have to say - it was REALLY neat!! I didn't think it would be nearly as fun as it was. My husband asked a million questions about how the trains ran, and both the engineer and the fireman were very happy to answer everything. I would definitely do this again!

After our tender seat ride, we headed to Rancho del Zocalo for lunch. We had never eaten here, and have heard mostly good things about it. We split the enchilada and carne asada platter - we both really enjoyed it and thought it was a great size to split!

After lunch, we went to the Mark Twain so see if we could get a ride in the wheelhouse. The castmember said we could, and asked us to wait for the next trip. Shortly after, she came up to us and apologized, saying she hadn't realized someone else had already asked, and asked us if we would be willing to wait for the next-next ride. We told her that was no problem. She thanks us for being patient and handed us these passes:

Awesome! So we waited for our trip on the Twain.

View from the wheelhouse:

View at the back of the wheelhouse, the "old school fire system". The buckets collect rain, and you run out there and dump the buckets on fire. Wow!

We got our official certificates for being in the wheelhouse. It was neat, I'm glad I did it once, but it's not something I would be super excited to do again.

From there, we took a spin on Haunted Mansion Holiday, one of my absolute favorite rides.

Then we headed to that Halloween jamboree thing at Thunder Mountain Ranch. We asked the CM who the villain was, and they said Cruella. I had never met her, so we decided to wait in line. After waiting in line, when we got inside, then conjured up the Queen. I had seen her many times before, so we walked out (frustrated). I don't know about you guys, but I really don't like the whole "wait in line for a "surprise" character" thing. Just show me who it is so I can decide if it's worth the wait or not! Anyway, at least there were these cute pumpkins:

Stay tuned for part 2...

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• formerly very helpful

Re: Disneyland October 4th-6th, 2012

A real nice start. I look forward to seeing more.

And don't worry. Your chipped nails didn't hurt the report one bit!

• Selfie Expert

So, part 2. This was the BEST part of the trip. As I said before, we had tried to get on the Lilly Belle earlier this day, but were told to try back at 4pm. So at 3:40pm, we headed to the station and asked if there were any rides available. We were told no, it was done running at 4, and the last ride was booked up. Frustrated, we decided to stop by City Hall to find out if someone could give us a straight answer on how we get a ride on there. No, we didn't go in and complain, we just wanted to know the procedure. The CM that helped us immediately went to the train station himself, telling us to wait for him at City Hall, then came running back and told us that HE would take us on the Lilly Belle!! So at 4:30, we met Esteban at the station, and we had a PRIVATE ride on the Lilly Belle. It was absolutely wonderful. Esteban was so informative and talkative, and he took a ton of pictures of us. Here are a few of my favorites:

I have about four times that many photos, but didn't want to completely spam you all. I can't say enough how much I loved and appreciated this experience. I had a list of things I wanted to do in Disneyland, and I didn't think this one would be very obtainable. Now I just have a few smaller things left (i.e. ride Jingles, the carousel horse) and then it's the "unobtainables" (i.e. dine in Club 33)!

Hang on for Part 3...

---------- Post added 10-07-2012 at 07:46 AM ----------

Part 3 begins with the end of Day 1.

I got to meet the Queen of Hearts! She was great - extremely energetic and interactive, which can't be that easy in this costume! I was super excited to see her.

We rode Ghost Galaxy for the first time EVER (I still can't believe I hadn't ridden it before... The hubs is not a big roller coaster fan, so I blame this on him). It was neat! I prefer the original Space Mountain, but really enjoyed the temporary change. I had read on here the sounds outside were pretty freaky - and I completely agree! Definitely gave me the heebie-jeebies in line. Speaking of line, we used our pass from the Twain to jump this line. Thank goodness, since Standby was 60 minutes!

For dinner, we tried Village Haus, another first. (I have found that we have tried almost nothing at Disneyland when it comes to meals!) My husband had the pastrami burger, which I took a terrible picture of (see below) and I had the pepperoni pizza. His burger was great. I got the pizza just so that we didn't duplicate an order (we want to try new things, remember?) but I regret it. Oh well, don't know until you try, right?!

We started Day 2 with breakfast at Whitewater Snacks. The husband had Mickey waffles, and I had the breakfast burrito (then we split and shared half and half... this strategy is just so great, it's like having your own buffet!). I enjoyed the burrito mostly because of the hot sauce I put on it. His waffles were tasty. I'd go there again, but not make a special trip for it.

We wandered around DL and just did whatever we came upon that we felt like. It's so nice not rushing around or sticking to a plan. First, I saw Ariel and Sleeping Beauty by the castle. I had never seen Ariel in her Princess attire, so I was super excited! This has to be on of my favorite dresses in the park, plus I have found that every Ariel I have come across has been really fun and interactive. This one definitely fit the bill!

I have lots of pictures of us in front of various rides, but am trying not to post a bunch of pictures with us in them since I know that's not what you all come here for! Here's a picture I took in Mr. Toad's queue. Again, I love how black and white can turn an otherwise boring photo into something kind of neat.

I tried my hand at freeing the sword. Does anyone know if they still do the little show thing at this spot? I haven't seen it in a long time!

Front row of BTMRR

Tried the goat trick this time, and it worked! Last time we didn't turn our bodies, just our heads, so it seems the body-turn is what does it for us.

We got some lunch at the Jolly Holiday: Grilled cheese with tomato soup, and the roast beef sandwich. Both were rather tasty, though I'd say the grilled cheese wouldn't fill me up. The roast beef, however, we probably could have split!

While we were in the wheelhouse, the CM told us to check out the Sorcerer's Workshop in the Animation building at CA. So we headed over there and discovered some great things we didn't even know existed in the parks.
    Mirror, mirror

Beast's library was really neat! It was beautiful, it had the rose, and it had little stations with a quiz that told you what character you were most like. I was Mrs. Incredible (of course!)

The last area was Ursula's Grotto. I didn't get any pictures in there... I need to explore it a little closer next time we're there. Definitely a hidden gem.

I didn't get any pictures, but we watched the Aladdin show. I had pretty low expectations for it, but found that I LOVED it!! I absolutely love how the Genie's jokes kept up with current events. I would definitely see it again (and hopefully without teenagers talking through the entire thing in the row behind me... GRRR!!). ;-)

From there, I was determined to find this brownie kabob thing at CA, and I found it!

It was pretty dang tasty, but not worth $4.99 in my opinion. Had to try it once, though!

While there, we also grabbed a plate of pasta from the Boardwalk place. It was some kind of sun dried tomato thing... I didn't take any pictures because my husband had it half-way devoured by the time I could take a picture of it. I can't blame him, because it was DELICIOUS! I would definitely recommend it and get it again.

Almost done!! Day 3 (part 4 overall? I've lost track) is coming up!

• The doctor is in

You arrived on my last day there. Looks like you had tons of fun!
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Selfie Expert

Day 3, our final day, started off with breakfast at the Carnation Cafe. Mickey Waffle and Juevos Rancheros:

Delish!! As always!

We decided to try out Tarzan's Treehouse since my husband had never seen it, and it had been a long time since I'd checked it out.

It was just how I remembered it - boring. Ah well, we'll know to skip it next time.

Another ride on Haunted Mansion was in order, since lines weren't crazy yet.

I know the purists don't love this feature, but I thought Sparky's grave was pretty cool.

We stopped by Hungry Bear so I could try the Bumblee Lemon Cupcake. My husband fed the ducks while I waited to get my treat.

While I loved the way this cupcake looked, I did not enjoy it. The frosting had an odd flavor to me, the cake was yummy but almost dry, and the filling in the middle was terrible. I LOVE lemon cake, so I was pretty disappointed. Obviously, others love it since it's still on the menu. I'll be taking it off of my list, but only one way to find out, so no regrets!

As we were heading out, the Twain came by. You can see what a good turn out "Gay Days" had, it was pretty amazing!

We saw Mary and Bert on our way out, so we had to get a picture. Mary was offended when I said "You have the BEST costume in the park!" and corrected me saying, "You mean I have the best dress in the park". My bad. They weren't especially fun with me, but I got my picture so that's all I can ask for, I suppose.

And to end on a fabulous note - the two nights we were there we stopped by the confectioneries shop in Downtown to bring home desserts for the hotel room. These are what we tried:
    This cupcake was fantastic. Moist, flavorful, and wonderful frosting.

These brownie ears were awful. Dry, flavorless brownie.

I had always wanted to try one of these apples, so I picked the cutest one to try!

I attempted to show the composition of the caramel, chocolate, etc. It was very tasty, however I found the parts with the colored sugar on it to be TOO sugary (kind of a like a Peep) for me. Also, the ears were marshmallow. Sugar overload for me! Next time I'll get one with no sugar decorations, such as the Jack Skellington versoin.

Anyway, that's all for now. I hope you all enjoyed it!!

---------- Post added 10-07-2012 at 07:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    A real nice start. I look forward to seeing more.

And don't worry. Your chipped nails didn't hurt the report one bit!
    Haha thank you! It's the photos that I'm holding stuff up in that makes me wish I had gotten a manicure... but oh well! Glad to hear it hasn't detracted from my post too much!

---------- Post added 10-07-2012 at 07:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    You arrived on my last day there. Looks like you had tons of fun!
    That day was the best of our trip! Not only because of the experiences that day consisted of, but it was by far the least crowded. I definitely prefer weekdays! I hope you had a great trip! I see it was for your birthday -- happy belated birthday!!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    That day was the best of our trip! Not only because of the experiences that day consisted of, but it was by far the least crowded. I definitely prefer weekdays! I hope you had a great trip! I see it was for your birthday -- happy belated birthday!!
    Thanks!

Yeah, Thursday was by far the best for me as well. The weather was the nicest and it wasn't nearly as crowded. You're lucky you missed the 104 degree day on the 2nd.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Thanks!

Yeah, Thursday was by far the best for me as well. The weather was the nicest and it wasn't nearly as crowded. You're lucky you missed the 104 degree day on the 2nd.
    Sooo happy I missed it. I'm from AZ, so I've had my fill of 100+ degree days. Plus we were at DLR in September, and the weather was close to that. Makes the days pretty rough!

They don't do the sword show anymore which is sad. The kids used to love it.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Great trip report! You took some awesome pictures and the ones of food are making me hungry. I think my family was eating at the Riverbelle Terrace at the same time that you took the pictures of the Mark Twain full on Gay Days. It was so crowded yesterday morning! I split one of those Minnie apples with my girls (but the red one with white polka dots) and agree that the sugar was a bit much, and it got all over everything. Next time we will go back to our usual favorite, the Hunny Pot.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Great trip report! You took some awesome pictures and the ones of food are making me hungry. I think my family was eating at the Riverbelle Terrace at the same time that you took the pictures of the Mark Twain full on Gay Days. It was so crowded yesterday morning! I split one of those Minnie apples with my girls (but the red one with white polka dots) and agree that the sugar was a bit much, and it got all over everything. Next time we will go back to our usual favorite, the Hunny Pot.
    Thank you!! I absolutely love when people post food pictures, it gives me ideas for what I want to try on my next trip, so I'm glad you enjoyed them! They're making me hungry now, too...

How funny that we were probably just feet away from each other! I'm just going to start waving randomly at the parks and post a thread, "Who saw me?!"

---------- Post added 10-07-2012 at 08:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skimbob View Post
    They don't do the sword show anymore which is sad. The kids used to love it.
    Aww that's sad! It was fun! I wonder how long ago they stopped? I didn't really think about it until we stopped to take pictures, normally I walk by it.

• a damsel not in distress

what a great report! you were able to do so many novel things (for both yourself, but also from my perspective) and you helped me increase my bucket list. i'm glad you had a good time and happy belated anniversary!

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Not So New Member

Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing!!
    disney lady

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    what a great report! you were able to do so many novel things (for both yourself, but also from my perspective) and you helped me increase my bucket list. i'm glad you had a good time and happy belated anniversary!
    Thank you! I'm so happy to hear that I've shown things new for you to try, too! That's what I love about these forums, they give me something new to try every trip, so there's something new for every visit. I can't wait to hear what you get to experience!

---------- Post added 10-07-2012 at 09:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by disney lady View Post
    Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing!!
    Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Awesomely report! Thanks for sharing.
    So, the strawberry brownie treat was in Paradise Pier?

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by smartlabelprint View Post
    Awesomely report! Thanks for sharing.
    So, the strawberry brownie treat was in Paradise Pier?
    It's at Paradise Garden Grill, which is in that food court area near Goofy's Sky School. I think it might still be considered part of Paradise Pier? I'm not super familiar with DCA. I had never even been in that area until that night, but it looks like there are a lot of great food options there!

And thank you for reading!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast