Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Weight limit on Splash Mountain?

SpcM often leaves with an empty back row due to weight concerns. A single rider line would never work since filling every rocket would cause more problems than it would solve.

• Just drawn that way

As a Tiny person both height and weight (95lbs) I have been soaked with or without weight issues. Sometimes I feel like if there aren't enough weight in the log that we're going to fly off the drop landing in the 'briers'. I have never been scared of to much weight. Every time I've gone they seem to even out the logs. I am sure the cast try their best to load the logs evenly, I have seen groups of people on the larger side complain when cast try's to slit them up. If you add a scale type device this may slow the line down greatly. I know that on the Matterhorn if a car is to heavy it slows the ride down and sometimes causes the E-stop to activate. Does anyone know if this is the same on Splash?

The Third Scene in Soarin' Over California

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
    The Video is still there.

Me and my kids are always hoping for a Football team to be in the Queue with us, so that we have a chance to go left.
    My bad, that never came up in the results. That was, in fact, the video I was looking for. I guess I was just using incorrect search terms. Oh well, either ways, now we are clear on what Space Mountain does when a rocket is too heavy.

As for Splash, I am curious as to where you (DrFink) got stuck during the ride. I have never heard of that happening before.

• a damsel not in distress

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
    The Video is still there.

Me and my kids are always hoping for a Football team to be in the Queue with us, so that we have a chance to go left.
    that video is too funny! "did we weigh too much?" *ignore*
    and i'm glad i know about weight restrictions now! i always thought it was strange that there weren't any, and i guess that's because it's not the case.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by ABW View Post
    As for Splash, I am curious as to where you (DrFink) got stuck during the ride. I have never heard of that happening before.
    We were in the dark section right after the indoor drop. We hadn't quite reached the turn for the big, main drop and our log came to a bit of a stand still. We felt the water jets kick in to push our log forward.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Just came back from the park... last rode Splash Mountain on October 3rd... I'm a big guy so I sit in the far back. I think our combined weight for the log was 800lbs... The ride was moving very quickly, bumping into everything...

But the week before when we rode, it was a lot smoother. It was like something changed over the weekend. We even got to the top of the "big drop" and the log slid back one notch. Scared the crap out of us! Then we dropped as normal!

I do not think that a scale, secretive or otherwise could be implemented and used to balance out log weights without re-doing the station (in case an overloaded log had to be diverted) and without drastically increasing wait times.

• DLR Softie

Hehe, I am of larger girth and the last time I went on Splash, I got front row seating and I was the largest one in the log - made for a fun ride when the drops came.

We knew we were in for it when everyone got drenched on the indoor drop and all I hear from the back seats was, "ohhhhh, maaaannn"..
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money" - Walt Disney

• The doctor is in

Another factor in this is how heavy people are now. I'm not trying to sound mean or anything but I was surprised at the overwhelming amount of overweight and obese people I saw walking around. If Disneyland never had any issues with weight limits on the rides they might want to start looking into it for guest safety reasons.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Another factor in this is how heavy people are now. I'm not trying to sound mean or anything but I was surprised at the overwhelming amount of overweight and obese people I saw walking around. If Disneyland never had any issues with weight limits on the rides they might want to start looking into it for guest safety reasons.
    Valid point. Having a great amount of weight on a ride could be dangerous. I hope we never have to find out the hard way. That sounds a little melodramatic, but it's true.

Waterparks often post signs at tube rides that give a total weight limit per tube and show the best distribution (lightest people in the front, heaviest people in the back) so that guests can set themselves up accordingly. Perhaps Splash Mountain could do the same thing?

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    Waterparks often post signs at tube rides that give a total weight limit per tube and show the best distribution (lightest people in the front, heaviest people in the back) so that guests can set themselves up accordingly. Perhaps Splash Mountain could do the same thing?
    Doesn't the ride loader/grouper do this by default, though? They don't just randomly assign guests to rows; they pick and choose and do leave rows in the logs empty from time to time. I'd assume this is to balance the weight?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the logs get heavier and heavier with each re-design. This would make some sense as you do seem to get MUCH wetter than when the ride first opened.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    That's why they had to re-do Small World a few years ago. They had to raise the sides so they wouldn't bottom out from too much wieght in the boats. I'm always amazed (and jelous) when I see old Disney photos and everyone looks so thin!

•   
    • Minion

To be fair, there's sort of an unofficial size/weight limit on a lot of the attractions because the vehicles are too small or narrow to accommodate those who are very large and heavy. I know we've had posts on here from folks who couldn't fit into the Silly Symphony Swings and Goofy's Sky School, for instance, and I think there would be issues for the very obese on a lot of attractions--the Astro-Orbitor, the Teacups, the Fantasyland rides, etc. Even the chairs on Star Tours wouldn't necessarily accommodate everyone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast