Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: Weight limit on Splash Mountain?

It's the same concept as water slides, though. I have seen I don't know how many stories of obese people getting stuck in them. Things are a certain size and that is just how it is.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    That's why they had to re-do Small World a few years ago. They had to raise the sides so they wouldn't bottom out from too much wieght in the boats. I'm always amazed (and jelous) when I see old Disney photos and everyone looks so thin!
    My God, yes, I'm right there with ya. I love looking at those old pics and reflecting on the America that once was. They never knew they'd have to engineer rides later for, uh, "larger loads." I seem to think those Small World boats were also altered to be hollow with nitrogen-charged interiors for a more buoyant ride? Small World ride revamped for bigger passengers

Everyone here's being real polite and respectful which is nice, but deep down I get this undertone that more than one of us recognizes the splash damage ( no pun intended ) caused by being on a ride vehicle who's "comfort balance" has been surpassed even if it's maximum weight load has not. I'm just grateful when attentive CMs recognize these loads coming and distribute passengers accordingly in a way that doesn't hurt anyone's feelings.

Having previously been loaded onto a ride vehicle with numerous gravity challenged patrons I recall looking at the CM with the "Really? Why me? Why ruin my good time?" look and only getting an indifferent shrug in response. Problem acknowledged, but not cared about. As much as the larger loads have their rights, I have mine too and shouldn't be subjected to suffer the issues of someone else.
    Your first, your last, your only defense against the scum of the ethereal plane.

<a href=http://westcoastbusters.com/ target=_blank>http://westcoastbusters.com/</a>

I think the only reason this is an issue at all is because most people don't actually want to get wet on Splash Mountain Some kids go on it hoping to get soaked, so they'd be thrilled to have a big dude at the front of their log ensuring a huge splash! I personally HATE getting wet, but I love the ride for all the animatronics, so I take my chances.

Of course if if you get there when the park opens and there is still a chill in the morning air, you can ride before it gets too busy and get a log that's not full. I've had the log to myself many times and they normally tell me to take the second or middle seat, so they must have to distribute the weight when the log is not full. I hardly ever get wet when I ride alone.
    Name:  splash2.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  42.2 KB

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by PBandJ View Post
    I think the only reason this is an issue at all is because most people don't actually want to get wet on Splash Mountain Some kids go on it hoping to get soaked, so they'd be thrilled to have a big dude at the front of their log ensuring a huge splash! I personally HATE getting wet, but I love the ride for all the animatronics, so I take my chances.
    People who go on the ride expecting to stay completely dry are delusional. Of course you get wet on Splash Mountain.
    However, there is a difference between getting splashed with water during the drops and getting soaked from head to toe after 3 tidal waves of water attack your log. I went on Splash Mountain earlier this year and I got wet but it was only one sleeve of my sweatshirt and some water on my jeans. This time around I was completely soaked. Shoes, socks, undergarments, hair, etc.. It looked like I jumped in a pool with my clothes on.

---------- Post added 10-10-2012 at 07:16 PM ----------

The other 3 heavy guys they sat behind us said the CM's did the same thing to them on Pirates of the Caribbean. They said the CM put all 3 of them in the front row and they got soaked because all the weight was in the front.

Sometimes I think the CM's do it on purpose.

I agree - everyone should fully expect to get wet! But getting drenched head to toe is a different matter, for sure.

I just wonder if anyone would mind if the ride were in some way redesigned so that people didn't get wet at all? I doubt such a thing would really be possible, but if it were, I think most people (myself included) would be quite pleased!

Hmmm...Dry Mountain just dosen't have the same ring to it...

• some assembly required

Between 1992 and this past trip a couple weeks ago, I rode Splash exactly ZERO TIMES. It's a bit of a curse for us since we tend to go in winter (refurb)...

So this last trip, I rode it nearly 50 times to make up for the past twenty years! Most of those were re-rides (not getting out of the log). Me and my SO were often seated alone, and they always put us in 2/3 or 3/4.

They said they couldn't let us both be in the last two seats like we wanted. When I asked why, they were happy to explain the process we wanted to witness and they wanted to avoid (see below). I already knew what would happen, and that was kind of the point - it is fun!!! Back in the late 80s and early 90s, they used to let you sit in the back by yourself or w/ your friend/family if there were only two of you when the ride was not crowded or when it was a walk-on.

Anyway, if you and a friend were to sit alone in the last two spots (5 and 6/7), you get a major speed boat effect on the drops. Even the small ramps on the flume get a bit of speed boat action. It is most notable after the dark drop. At that point, the log zips uphill then hits a small downward ramp. At that ramp the front of the log SLAPS the water as it disengages from the complex track shape (designed to keep the log on track while it is doing an unusual maneuver for a log ride!!!). In addition to the awesome speed boat effect, you get an amazing teeter effect at the top of the lifts, esp. the big drop. That teeter effect is thrilling when you are 50ft in the air! And it can actually happen without sitting alone in the back of the log, but it’s a bit more rare for it to happen with a full vehicle.

Anyway, during a large re-furb in the past 20 yrs., an extra set of bottom wheels were added. I think this may have been in the form of new logs, but I have gotten conflicting info on that. Either way, there are more wheels under the log than there was when it opened. When the log is packed with larger adults, you can sometimes feel the baffles on the floor of the flume itself. These wheels can make contact with the baffles or smooth areas of the floor of the flume. This is totally normal and not UNSAFE. The ride is designed for this. It may create more wear-n-tear on the ride, but it certainly isn’t dangerous. The same thing happens on the side wheels of the logs, they bump the sides of the flume as always. It is just part of the ride.

As for getting stuck, from what I know of this ride, that is near impossible. The only time you come to a stop mid-course is where there are block gates. Some are obvious (the first drop) and some are less obvious inside the ride. If you are stopped, it is b/c your log is moving faster than the system allows. A heavier log will gain more ft per second on the various hills and ramps and affects its’ over-all placement on the course. This same log will be stopped by a gate to space it from the log further down the course so they don’t bump at critical points on the ride. If your log seems “stuck”, just know it is a safety precaution not normally seen, and not bottoming out as it may feel like. Dang, I miss that ride already and it was just a couple weeks ago!!!
    Last edited by JMazz; 10-11-2012 at 05:57 AM.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    To be fair, there's sort of an unofficial size/weight limit on a lot of the attractions because the vehicles are too small or narrow to accommodate those who are very large and heavy. I know we've had posts on here from folks who couldn't fit into the Silly Symphony Swings and Goofy's Sky School, for instance, and I think there would be issues for the very obese on a lot of attractions--the Astro-Orbitor, the Teacups, the Fantasyland rides, etc. Even the chairs on Star Tours wouldn't necessarily accommodate everyone.
    Last time I was on Star Tours I was with a guy I was dating he was about 6'6" and THIN, but he was too tall. They let him on, but the head rest bruised up his neck pretty. So it isn't just weight that has issue

• The doctor is in

Disney beats any potential complaints and or claims by basically stating on the tickets that guests ride attractions at their own risk. If someone gets bruised or is too big to fit in the ride that isn't really the park's problem legally.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AzSuziGirl View Post
    Last time I was on Star Tours I was with a guy I was dating he was about 6'6" and THIN, but he was too tall. They let him on, but the head rest bruised up his neck pretty. So it isn't just weight that has issue
    That's a good point. Some of those ride vehicles would be very tight fits for taller folks, and I could see that they might have a miserable time with it. I can't imagine how they'd feel in the Teacups, for instance.

Ironically Splash seems like it would be a friendlier ride for taller people because they could have more legroom.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Of course if if you get there when the park opens and there is still a chill in the morning air, you can ride before it gets too busy and get a log that's not full. I've had the log to myself many times and they normally tell me to take the second or middle seat, so they must have to distribute the weight when the log is not full. I hardly ever get wet when I ride alone.
    Name:  splash2.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  42.2 KB

This just made my evening

Thank you

Me and my friend went on Splash Mountain, both 350 pounds, with a few others seated behind us.. had no issues at all. We had A LOT of water flood the boat but that is all. What everyone raises is a legitimate concern.

I emailed Hopkins Rides to get a definitive answer.

Note: Don't ride with fat people, they'll only get you wetter. I don't plan on going back there until I'm not fat.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by chechnya View Post
    Me and my friend went on Splash Mountain, both 350 pounds, with a few others seated behind us.. had no issues at all. We had A LOT of water flood the boat but that is all. What everyone raises is a legitimate concern.

I emailed Hopkins Rides to get a definitive answer.

Note: Don't ride with fat people, they'll only get you wetter. I don't plan on going back there until I'm not fat.
    Oh! You must update us if you get a response. What did you say/ask them in your email?
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    Disney beats any potential complaints and or claims by basically stating on the tickets that guests ride attractions at their own risk. If someone gets bruised or is too big to fit in the ride that isn't really the park's problem legally.
    There are plenty of ways to argue around that.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast