Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• The doctor is in

Weight limit on Splash Mountain?

After my experience on Splash Mountain this past trip I am curious... does Splash Mountain have a weight limit for the logs?

The reason I ask is due to what happened in my log. I was placed in the front with my parents behind me. Behind them were three men who were each 300+ lbs.. My parents are also both heavier people. We kept bumping the sides and feeling like we were getting off track and the log got a little stuck on one inside part because we were so weighed down. When we went down the drops all 6 of us got so drenched. There were giant waves from the front and from the sides. I walked around soaked with wet shoes for about 5 hours. Before going down the giant drop with the picture I remember thinking to myself, does this ride have a weight limit?

I just feel like they shouldn't have put that much weight in one log.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Re: Weight limit on Splash Mountain?

I completely agree. I think they should have a well themed miniture truck scale in the queue area and a little screen for the loader that shows them the weight of the passengers to alert them when there are too many obese people in a log.

Frankly this is a saftey issue, an overloaded log could represent a serious hazard for customers and cast members. Excellent original post.

• The doctor is in

I agree that it is a potential safety issue. I mean no one got hurt on my trip but that doesn't mean people couldn't get hurt in the future.

• a damsel not in distress

there's pretty much no ride at disneyland with an actual "weight limit." they've tried to create rides that can be fun for anyone, and the only ones that cause any type of turn away for someone who is overweight are those who cant fit behind the safety bar.

because there is no restriction then on free sitting rides such as splash mountain and the ride will still more or less function at a given weight, the loaders can load however they please. i've mostly seen them try to distribute people evenly at the "assignment" area, but when things are busy/they just don't care, they aren't as watchful. once while on it's a small world, our boat was actually tipped slightly to the side because of uneven weight distribution.

i think a secretive device at the loading station could be helpful if they did a few trial runs to find out at which weight capacity causes less than ideal function, as well as a more careful eye from seat assigning cast members.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• The doctor is in

I wasn't necessarily suggesting a device to weigh people or anything. I think the Cast Members should be instructed on how to seat guests to distribute the weight properly. Don't put all heavy adults in the same log. It isn't that difficult.

I see logs filled with "larger guests" all the time, so I don't think they are overloading them. But yes, a heavy log will bump and splash more that a lighter log. Did you really get stuck, or did the lift hill stop for a second like it does once in a while when logs are backing up?

Oh and by they way.......the signs all say "You may get wet".
    So if your not prepared to spend the day with wet shoes, this might not be a good day to ride.
    The CM's fill logs and expect that you know, you may get wet. Could you imagine guests in line asking for a log with skinny people, so we don't get as wet?

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    there's pretty much no ride at disneyland with an actual "weight limit." they've tried to create rides that can be fun for anyone, and the only ones that cause any type of turn away for someone who is overweight are those who cant fit behind the safety bar.

because there is no restriction then on free sitting rides such as splash mountain and the ride will still more or less function at a given weight, the loaders can load however they please. i've mostly seen them try to distribute people evenly at the "assignment" area, but when things are busy/they just don't care, they aren't as watchful. once while on it's a small world, our boat was actually tipped slightly to the side because of uneven weight distribution.

i think a secretive device at the loading station could be helpful if they did a few trial runs to find out at which weight capacity causes less than ideal function, as well as a more careful eye from seat assigning cast members.
    I think Space Mountain has one.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I see logs filled with "larger guests" all the time, so I don't think they are overloading them. But yes, a heavy log will bump and splash more that a lighter log. Did you really get stuck, or did the lift hill stop for a second like it does once in a while when logs are backing up?

Oh and by they way.......the signs all say "You may get wet".
    So if your not prepared to spend the day with wet shoes, this might not be a good day to ride.
    The CM's fill logs and expect that you know, you may get wet. Could you imagine guests in line asking for a log with skinny people, so we don't get as wet?
    It wasn't so much that I got wet. When you go on Splash Mountain you kind of expect to get splashed. That is a no brainer.

Like I said, I was questioning if there was a weight capacity for each log.

• a damsel not in distress

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    I think Space Mountain has one.
    a few years ago, my friend wanted to take me as a gift, and he is a very heavy dude, so i called disneyland to check about weight limits and was told that as long as he could fit behind the bar, he could go on. so maybe space mountain's limit pertains to its safety restraints?

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• Minion

I heard space mountains is weight limit is so the car wont go down faster then its suppose to and come in close range of another car

It's a music Celebration
    Come on, come on, come on
    Strike up the band,
    Feel the beat, what a great sensation
    Come on, come on, come on
    Move and clap your hands,
    Get into the Spirit
    Let everyone hear it,
    So come on, come on

The Third Scene in Soarin' Over California

Actually there is a weight limit for Space Mountain, which I find interesting. If a rocket weighs too much, it will go left at the switch track just after the lab-bar check. There used to be a video on youtube showing this happen, but it seems to have been removed since then.

•   
    • Minion

As others have said, they do weigh the ride vehicles on Space--and I think on Matterhorn as well. I'm surprised they don't have something in place on Splash, as well.

The weight limit isn't the weight of the actual guest; it's the combined weight of the passengers; so if you had someone very heavy you could ostensibly leave other spaces on the rocket/sled/log empty and still be light enough to safely take off.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-07-2012 at 11:26 AM.

• Minion

I have had the exact same thing happen I will bet our log was close to 2000 pounds ( not an kidding) and the log actually hit bottom coming off the belt. We got soaked to the bone off the first drop and the tidal wave we created was unreal it actually took a second for the water to hit down on the boat enough time for me to actually think how did we not get wet on the big drop then bam wall of water on my head! They really need to set a log weight limit IMO
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by mickdaddy View Post
    I have had the exact same thing happen I will bet our log was close to 2000 pounds ( not an kidding) and the log actually hit bottom coming off the belt. We got soaked to the bone off the first drop and the tidal wave we created was unreal it actually took a second for the water to hit down on the boat enough time for me to actually think how did we not get wet on the big drop then bam wall of water on my head! They really need to set a log weight limit IMO
    YES

My dad estimated our log had to have been at least 1500 lbs. if not more. I felt us hit the bottom and when I looked over the side of the log a majority of the log was underwater with little of the log left above water.

As Malina said, it is the matter of the combined weight of the guests per log. I don't think it's safe to put that much weight in each log.

Quote Originally Posted by ABW View Post
    Actually there is a weight limit for Space Mountain, which I find interesting. If a rocket weighs too much, it will go left at the switch track just after the lab-bar check. There used to be a video on youtube showing this happen, but it seems to have been removed since then.
    The Video is still there.

Me and my kids are always hoping for a Football team to be in the Queue with us, so that we have a chance to go left.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast