Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

•   

Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

Those contests or "power hours" aren't an acceptable reason to downgrade the level of guest service, cheshirecat. My point about safety concerns still stands, however.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    I'm sure it happens on all those attractions at one time or another.

You, the guest, are on the load platform barring the ride breaking down maybe a minute to two minutes. You are not there for an hour, or for hours on end during the park's normal operations. You'd be surprised by what you don't see.

It's not 5%, more like 2%. It happens but it's usually controlled and not very often in the grand scheme of things. But it's not a big deal. They know the situation, and what is and isn't acceptable. I'm sure the CMs knew what they were doing, unlike you think.
    But the point here is that the CMs did not give me any indication they knew what they were doing. All I saw was that I was yelling, my friend was yelling, and they didn't seem to give a d**n. As I said before, refusing to verbally acknowledge a rider's concern is poor customer service at best. At worst, it means they're going to miss something major.

As a rider, if a CM is just walking past me when I'm telling him the seat belt isn't working, I have no way to know if he didn't hear me, if he's ignoring me, or if he's just jaded because he has seen 10 other problems that hour. The only way I know everything is in order is if he tells me. I'm not psychic. I can't read his mind.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post

Oh, I've also heard that some CMs are pretty upset about losing the Christmas Party (horrible decision on management's part). Not hard to see why the CMs at the load station were so apathetic.
    Losing the Employee Christmas Party is a HUGE deal for many CM's in the park. It's not that big a deal for the TDA folks, who never got the magic of seeing your friends and family in the park on a special night where you work. But everyone who works in the park is mad, even the managers who are ranting about the lying execs now along with the hourlies.

Morale for Park CM's took a big hit with that move. A big hit.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    If this was your first ever ride on the Matterhorn, then I could understand some panic. But you say you've ridden it 100 times, so you should know they will "take care of it up there". They always do.

Out of 100 rides, like me, you've probably encountered dozens of times when the seat belt is wet, is draped over the side, is too short or too long and needs to be adjusted, is under your foot in the front corner of the sled and hard to reach, or you need to secure the seat belt of a sibling or child before getting to your own, such that you aren't finished buckling until the last stop. Again, you should know that sometimes it takes until the last stop to buckle up. Do you need to be reassured every time that happens? If not, why was this different?
    The reason it was different was because in all the times I've ridden the Matterhorn, I never had a belt fail to engage until the final stop. Never. If a belt is under a seat, tangled, whatever, you see what the issue is immediately and fix it. I'm always buckled by flashlights. If you're yanking on a belt and it's not moving, and you're not doing anything to impede it, it's a bit different.

So no, there's really no way for me to know this is also a usual situation, and that it will be fixed. I'm a rider. I'm not a cast member. The only way I know this is something that they will fix is if they deign to tell me.

---------- Post added 10-09-2012 at 09:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Losing the Employee Christmas Party is a HUGE deal for many CM's in the park. It's not that big a deal for the TDA folks, who never got the magic of seeing your friends and family in the park on a special night where you work. But everyone who works in the park is mad, even the managers who are ranting about the lying execs now along with the hourlies.

Morale for Park CM's took a big hit with that move. A big hit.
    I'm sure it is...it's a huge slap in the face for them. I'm sure that if there were some sort of write in campaign or complaint process open to non-CMs, many of us would participate. I would.

It's not an excuse to take it out on the guests, though...we didn't do that to you.

this thread is exasperating!

• Honorary Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by paradesintherain View Post
    Finally! Something everyone can agree on!
    -- mmouse

• -

They've seen it all. They probably knew you were safe.
    It's great that they knew it. We want te workers to feel confident in their equipment. All they needed to do was to finish performing the job they are paid to do was to clue the panicked rider in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    Not that it matters, but personally, if I'd been the guest in this situation, my reaction after the problem had been resolved would be to think "Whew, I guess there was no cause for alarm after all. Silly me!" and move on.
    I'm sure this rider felt the same after her situation was taken care of. As an employee, would you have ignored her concerns? That is the real question.

They know the situation, and what is and isn't acceptable. I'm sure the CMs knew what they were doing, unlike you think.
    It has been mentioned by several on here that the workers knew the situation. The point is that they did not let the rider, who would have no inside knowledge of their procedure or how the ride system operates, know that she was safe.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Let's not forget: the situation probably occurred in 20 seconds. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmouse View Post
    Finally! Something everyone can agree on!
    This thread needs to die.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    --or asking the CMs to actually wake up and engage with the guests.
    I have been going to the parks for almost 10 years now and I have NEVER felt that CM's needed to...as you put it "wake up and engage with guests". That was just plain mean to say, but your opinion just the same, I guess.

Not that it matters, but personally, if I'd been the guest in this situation, my reaction after the problem had been resolved would be to think "Whew, I guess there was no cause for alarm after all. Silly me!" and move on.
    Agreed, it's something I would have done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It's not an excuse to take it out on the guests, though...we didn't do that to you.
    While I'm sure the taking away of the Xmas party is a big thing, I've never felt that CM's are, as you put it taking "it out on the guests". I'm sure there may be a few in the CM bunch that might feel like this but I've never run into one. Again, your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine711 View Post
    This thread needs to die.
    Yes and yes....

Bottom line, in my book, whether a CM rolls their eyes at me and huffs and puffs at me...I still treat them with respect. Would I report a CM that rolled their eyes at me later...? maybe, maybe not, would depend on the situation but aside from a CM yelling at me to get out of their face...I always respect whatever position they are in and wouldn't make a big fuss over the scenario given here.

But that is just my opinion really.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    As an employee, would you have ignored her concerns? That is the real question.
    That depends entirely on the situation. If I were in the midst of an important, time-sensitive safety procedure, I might temporarily focus on that, instead of on a guest who mistakenly thought he or she was in a dangerous situation. I'd rather have someone think they're in danger than have someone else actually be in danger, though I always strive for neither to be the case when possible.

On the other hand, if there weren't anything of such a serious nature going on, I wouldn't ignore the guest, of course not. I'd offer a kind smile and reassure the guest that we would take care of the issue in just a moment.

• -

That depends entirely on the situation. If I were in the midst of an important, time-sensitive safety procedure, I might temporarily focus on that, instead of on a guest who mistakenly thought he or she was in a dangerous situation. I'd rather have someone think they're in danger than have someone else actually be in danger, though I always strive for neither to be the case when possible.

On the other hand, if there weren't anything of such a serious nature going on, I wouldn't ignore the guest, of course not. I'd offer a kind smile and reassure the guest that we would take care of the issue in just a moment.
    The latter is all that was being asked for here.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

The latter is all that was being asked for here.
    And it may have been out of the question without sacrificing safety, so what's the problem?

• Certified in everything

It’s not simply just the guest feeling uncomfortable. Here the person was visibly upset and reached out to a Disney employee for help. That employee did not even acknowledge the request. That is a failure of customer service.

While it may have been protocol to allow the sled to move to the next zone, I’m sure it is not protocol to ignore a guest when they specifically address a worker – or maybe it is now. Disney’s standards are not what they once were.

I've gone ahead and underlined every assumption that you are making. With each inference you're giving more weight to someone in a state of panic than an employee who we KNOW did not operate the ride unsafely.

Let's not forget: the situation probably occurred in 20 seconds. That's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It is unfortunate the guest was upset - yes. Do I really believe they were frantically yelling and being ignored by the CMs? Not really. If they were 'frantically yelling' don't you think everyone else around them would have reacted too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Nothing happened, there was no failure of the system, on the contrary, it worked as it was supposed to, there was no negligence. Just one slightly panicked guest who took a little too long to get her seat belt on.
    Last edited by cruise; 10-09-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    . . . giving more weight to someone in a state of panic than an employee who we KNOW did not operate the ride unsafely.
    It is obvious that Malina, as an AP who has been on rides hundreds of times, knows a great deal about how rides should normally function. I mean, we've all heard stories of Disneyland newbies making silly mistakes, but this isn't the case here.

It is equally obvious that Matterhorn had a refurb recently and the new bobsleds might have some kinks that need to be worked out.

From what I can gather of Malina's story, the CM at the end of the ride caught on to the fact that her seatbelt wasn't working properly. But this doesn't preclude the possibility that the other CMs, whose job is also is to check seatbelts, might have slacked off at their job.

It also seems clear that some of the CMs were rude. Even if rushing off to an emergency (doesn't seem to be the case here at Malina didn't describe distracted CMs rushing off to an emergency, they were checking safety belts), they could have held up an index finger in a "one minute gesture." In the United States, and most countries, it is considered rude if somebody doesn't answer your question, especially if you are in distress.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast