Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

• Senior Minion

Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    This whole thread could have been prevented by one CM listening to the guest and checking her seat belt.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    It has not loops....unless you weight less then 50 pounds and are not holding to the hand rails...or holding the seat belt you will not fall out that ride
    Quote Originally Posted by snopes.com
    • May 1964: Mark Maples, a 15-year-old Long Beach, CA, resident, was killed when he tried to stand up on the Matterhorn Bobsleds. Maples (or his companion) foolishly unbuckled his seatbeat and attempted to stand up as their bobsled neared the peak of the mountain. Maples lost his balance and was thrown from the sled to the track below, fracturing his skull and ribs and causing internal injuries. He died three days later.

Quote Originally Posted by snopes.com

• 3 January 1984: Dolly Regene Young, a 48-year-old Fremont, CA, resident, was killed on the Matterhorn in an incident remarkably similar to the first Disneyland guest death nearly twenty years earlier. About two-thirds of the way down the mountain Young was thrown from her seat into the path of an oncoming bobsled, her head and chest becoming pinned beneath its wheels. An examination of Young's sled revealed that her seatbelt was not fastened at the time of the accident, but because she was riding alone in the rear car of a sled no one could determine whether or not she had deliberately unfastened her belt.

Try again!

well that first example is extremely unfair. the kid unbuckled his seatbelt and tried to stand!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by paradesintherain View Post
    well that first example is extremely unfair. the kid unbuckled his seatbelt and tried to stand!
    You're missing the point:

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    ....my belt wasn't working even at the point where they were checking with flashlights to ensure we were all buckled up--and if the seat belts aren't designed to release until the last checkpoint they should let people know so they won't freak out. I've read how Dolly's Drop got its name, so the prospect of being on that ride without a seat belt probably did make me panic.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    You're missing the point:
    Exactly. How a rider's belt becomes unbuckled is irrelevant. That post was illustrating what the consequences of riding without a restraint could be.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

because i'm sure if malina did somehow get sent on the ride without her belt, she would have definitely stood up at the top of a drop, rather than hanging on as tight as she could.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by paradesintherain View Post
    because i'm sure if malina did somehow get sent on the ride without her belt, she would have definitely stood up at the top of a drop, rather than hanging on as tight as she could.
    Dolly didn't stand up either.
    Ocala Star-Banner - Google News Archive Search
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    This whole thread could have been prevented by one CM listening to the guest and checking her seat belt.
    I am assuming, and correct me if I am wrong, that your post here is directedtowards/inspired by my comment above...

It isn't that the thread needs preventing. *if* she got bad CS, well then so be it. It would be great to prevent it, it would be great to inform others of this so they can look out for it, etc. etc. It isn't that the thread needs to be prevented.

It is the mindless and repetative drivel. The people involved said their peace over and over and then ppl got nasty. And it just isn't this thread. So many threads where someone will say the same freakin' thing over and over as if it will convince another person if they read it many times. It wont happen. It is MC after all; the most informative and unfortunately most headstrong Disney site on the web! And none of the arguers were noobies either.

Come on people. My GP friends have stopped reading and this is the #1 reason.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

A simple request from site staff: Whether or not you agree with there being a safety issue in a reported case, or the viewpoints of another member on an issue (which is part of a discussion forum, people having differing opinions), please merely keep in mind that mocking the thread or openly putting down the member themselves because you disagree with their take on an experience they had is not fair play or respectful/conducive to open discussion.

Furthermore, the deliberate slams on someone stating their opinion done in a way suggesting they should not talk about a topic because you disagree with what they think about what happened to the extent of personal rudeness is not allowed by MiceChat rules, and the piling on of a person in this case trying to dissuade them from their experience or say they were wrong for concern in an increasingly personal 'put down' type of manner on the part of some is not constructive and not allowed at any time when done deliberately, especially to 'win' a perceived argument.
    This has only served to escalate this thread into a fight, frankly, and that serves no one on this forum well: members, casual readers who haven't joined, or staff.

In the future, please think first not of 'how can I win this argument' in instances where you feel an issue is 'unimportant' or ways to shout down people in a personally confrontational manner over a experience they had. Discuss the issue, rather than the motives or how 'wrong' someone is, as that only increases hostility and ill will.

Regretfully, at this time, these actions on both sides have caused this thread to be closed permanently. Staff does not relish doing so and we try hard to avoid outright locking threads whenever possible, but we sincerely hope some lessons might be learned from this statement and how this situation unfolded going forward.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112