Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• a damsel not in distress

Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Every coaster at DL moves through the station regardless if you are buckled or not. Its to keep the flow going and prevent backups since the station can't fit every train that is racing down the track. So what you experienced wasn't really out of the ordinary. They wait for the last check because thats where a CM is who can give you full attention on your belts. I myself have waited for the last check to buckle a few times due to geting myself adjusted. And a train will never leave the station without everyone buckled.

The only sad thing is that the CM didn't try to reassure you that everything was part of standard procedures. But then again, coasters at DL are a game of getting sleds out as quickly and safely as possible so I could imagine those CMs don't have much time to spare with the the fast paced multitasking they have to do.
    this is pretty much what i was going to say. as most of us are not cast members and don't know standard protocol when we ride these rides, it can be rather distressing being passed through what we see as seat-belt check points, when really they are checking for something else. therefore, it's hard to say whether or not they did anything wrong.

however, if it was obvious that you were scared and both you and your friend were calling out to them, then shame on them for not trying to calm you in some way.

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Matterhorn is a slow moving ride.

Anyway I am also having trouble seeing a problem. The ride didn't start, you got the belt on before it did.
    That isn't the point. The point is that there were a couple of riders who perceived an issue with a seatbelt on one of the ride vehicles and the workers weren't competent enough to put their concerns to rest. What if that perception led to a full blown panic attack? A hysterical, panicking person is unpredictable and go to any extreme depending on how deep the concern for their safety is. This rider could have tried to climb out of the vehicle rather than be sent off without a seatbelt. I don't know if it was lack of training or the worker not doing their job or a combination of both, but something is definitely wrong with this picture.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Certified in everything

Under the new system the car will not leave the final brake station without all belts being locked. You were in no danger. They move the cars continue moving along to that final brake station to give the guest time to figure out the belt without stalling boarding before dispatch. It is efficient and not dangerous.

It takes both the CM hitting a release button and the system detecting all belts locked to be dispatched.

Could this have been scary? Yes. But you were fine. This was not Disney's error. The system appears to have worked perfectly.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• The Pirate Girl

A cast member would NEVER send a bobsled in without all passengers having their seatbelt on. NEVER. The cast member there at the bottom before the cave is called the belts cast member with the specific job of making sure seatbelts are all on before dispatching the sled. The cast member in the tower also double checks and will stop the sled from going in if they notice a seat belt even LOOKING like it's not correctly fastened.

While yes, the cast member could have said something, know that they've got you covered.
    For certain you must be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    That isn't the point. The point is that there were a couple of riders who perceived an issue with a seatbelt on one of the ride vehicles and the workers weren't competent enough to put their concerns to rest. What if that perception led to a full blown panic attack? A hysterical, panicking person is unpredictable and go to any extreme depending on how deep the concern for their safety is. This rider could have tried to climb out of the vehicle rather than be sent off without a seatbelt.
    Exactly right. This happened to an adult. What if it had been a child? A kid on their first time riding the Matterhorn, and anxious about it to start with?

I don't know if it was lack of training or the worker not doing their job or a combination of both, but something is definitely wrong with this picture.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

It ain't Walt's Disneyland any more... ...it's still Eisner's Disneyland, even though he's gone too.

Somewhere in the employee training manuals it says, "Your job is to create happiness." Or at least it did at one time...

One time a long time ago I was worried that the hand stamp would rub off if I washed my hands. A very courteous CM at the Monorail station at the hotel reassured me it was waterproof.

I would assume that addressing a guest's concerns would be a priority...

Slightly off-topic, but still on the topic of Matterhorn safety: what if something lands on the track somewhere? A hat or whatever is sitting on the track. How do they know something is there? Does the ride shut down? And how do they retrieve the object?

I understand venting to a message board, that's what it's here for obviously, but it would have been much more effective (and maybe saved future guests from panic) to have talked to someone, even without knowing their names. Hindsight is 20/20 though!

I'm glad it all ended well, though.

• Nic

delete
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but still on the topic of Matterhorn safety: what if something lands on the track somewhere? A hat or whatever is sitting on the track. How do they know something is there? Does the ride shut down? And how do they retrieve the object?
    They ask the guests with the malfunctioning seatbelts if they would mind getting out of the car during the ride to retrieve the object.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Keepin' it calsteady

There are 2 sides to this. First, I empathize with the OP's situation. I always got nervous with the old Matterhorn seatbelts! They could be twisted, too long, too short, too something and I would feel like an idiot if I couldn't figure it out fast enough.

Second, I sympathize with the CMs. My guess is that the OP was one of many people struggling with belts that the CMs see over and over every shift. The CMs probably are frustrated by a poor design on an antiquated attraction that can't readily accept modern safety standards, know the guests aren't in danger, and so they ignore it and - importantly - keep the ride moving while guests figure it out. That said, CMs should be trained to address the situation with a simple message of "It's okay, you have time to buckle up."

You should have gone to City Hall with the names of the workers who casually shrugged off a seatbelt issue. That does not seem to be an offense that would allow one to keep one's job.
    One should know all the facts before trying to get one fired.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I rolled my eyes so hard that I pulled a muscle at some the folks here advocating employee termination and berating the CM's because out of the 1000s of people they probably dealt with that day, they didn't coddle two people who by their own admission panicked themselves. As perfect as some you might think you are I assure you, you would be unemployed very fast if you were held to that high of an error standard in your own job (less than 1%).

It was probably frightening to the OP, I have no doubt. Anyone who has paid even a little attention to how things work would know that the ride would not make it out of the final check point if the seat belt wasn't buckled. None of you advocating their termination were there to see what kind of crowds they were dealing with or what else was going on in the loading area besides two panicked guests heading towards a safety check. If they could have soothed them, they would have I would have bet, but they didn't in this one case. One case, out of how many in an 8 hour shift. As I said, no matter how perfect you think you are, none of you would be employed under such a strict requirement, especially if your job involved dealing with people. If you think errors like this didn't happen when Walt ran the park, you are delusional and know nothing about humanity and probability.

Hi Malina,

I see a lot responses. You asked "Is this what should have happened?"

The short answer is you were fine. There was no danger.

The long answer. If you ever just watch the process of loading guests at this attraction, just while you are in line, you will see several incidents of guest still fastening their seat belts at that last stop at the mouth of the cave that takes you up the lift hill. It honestly is common. I am sorry it happen to you and that in doing so, it created a panic in your heart. A quick "It's ok someone will help you before it goes" may have gone a long way to calm your concerns. Cast members deal with this time and time again, several times an hour. It may be the first time for you, but for them it likely becomes a very monotonous routine. This is not to justify their actions, after all they should always be understanding that what is routine to them, is a new and alarming experience to you and the next guest and the next one and the next one...... etc. To you and each of those guests they should be equally compassionate, understanding and proactive in calming your concerns. But in the course of hour after hour, day after day.... Again, not saying its ok how they handled it, but I do understand the mentality they were likely in. It is the Disney way.... clearly no. Is it human nature.... I will let you decide.

All that said, it is correct that the Matterhorn will not dispatch with out all six belts fastened. They aren't really checking that your belts are fastened, the system does that part just fine. And yes they are sort of double checking the system but.... more then that they are checking for those who might try to cheat the system for cheap thrill by fastening the belt first, and then sitting on top of it.

Remember the old sleds could not only be dispatch with out belts fastened, but a rider could unfasten them after dispatch. They were built in a day and time where the guest could be trusted to just keep the seat belt fastened. And if they didn't... well I do know of people who have unfastened their belt during the ride and lived to tell about.

Due to this, I do know the old sleds would not throw you from them if you did not wear your seatbelt. Of course this assume normal operation.
    Last edited by Kidgenie; 10-07-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by burdenx View Post
    I don't know how CMs put up with what they do. Thanks for reminding me I don't miss customer service in the least.

Agreed. I don't know how they put up with these idiots that spend hundreds of dollars to bring their families to the park. Dollars that actually pay these CM's wages, as meager as they may be. And HOW do these moron customers not know that they were perfectly safe? I mean, it's obvious that someone checking that the seatbelt is fastened with a flashlight is just for show and is not really needed. And HOW ON EARTH do they not know that the ride is completley fail safe and won't start with all belts fastened? Duhhhhhh.

• Cast Member

Sounds like a case of the: "Please dont make me dig in there and get your seatbelt for you, oh thank goodness you finally got it on." Stuff like this happens hundreds of times a day.

Quite frankly we're better off on both our parts doing that than running up screaming yelling "STOP THE SLED THEY DONT HAVE SEATBELTS ON OH MY GOD!!!"

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast