Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• -

Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

Quote Originally Posted by monster heck View Post
    One should know all the facts before trying to get one fired.
    The facts were stated in the original post. The seatbelt wasn't working causing some concern to these riders. Disney workers ignored these concerns thus failing to do their job. A complaint made to City Hall is valid and justified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    out of the 1000s of people they probably dealt with that day, they didn't coddle two people who by their own admission panicked themselves.
    Out of the thousands of bolts the maintenance inspectors looked at on September 5th, 2003 they missed the few that happened to hold the axel assembly on Thunder Mountain. Should that be just shrugged off as well?
    Big Thunder Railroad Death Brings Big Admission From Disney | The Legal Examiner Pinellas

A panicked rider can be just as dangerous depending on the frame of mind they are in and how deep the concern is for their safety.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Sock Puppet

as I just said in the Space post... Im sure managment reads this site and Im sure they'll be notified of it

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    Hi Malina,

I see a lot responses. You asked "Is this what should have happened?"

The short answer is you were fine. There was no danger.

The long answer. If you ever just watch the process of loading guests at this attraction, just while you are in line, you will see several incidents of guest still fastening their seat belts at that last stop at the mouth of the cave that takes you up the lift hill. It honestly is common. I am sorry it happen to you and that in doing so, it created a panic in your heart. A quick "It's ok someone will help you before it goes" may have gone a long way to calm your concerns. Cast members deal with this time and time again, several times an hour. It may be the first time for you, but for them it likely becomes a very monotonous routine. This is not to justify their actions, after all they should always be understanding that what is routine to them, is a new and alarming experience to you and the next guest and the next one and the next one...... etc. To you and each of those guests they should be equally compassionate, understanding and proactive in calming your concerns. But in the course of hour after hour, day after day.... Again, not saying its ok how they handled it, but I do understand the mentality they were likely in. It is the Disney way.... clearly no. Is it human nature.... I will let you decide.

All that said, it is correct that the Matterhorn will not dispatch with out all six belts fastened. They aren't really checking that your belts are fastened, the system does that part just fine. And yes they are sort of double checking the system but.... more then that they are checking for those who might try to cheat the system for cheap thrill by fastening the belt first, and then sitting on top of it.

Remember the old sleds could not only be dispatch with out belts fastened, but a rider could unfasten them after dispatch. They were built in a day and time where the guest could be trusted to just keep the seat belt fastened. And if they didn't... well I do know of people who have unfastened their belt during the ride and lived to tell about.

Due to this, I do know the old sleds would not throw you from them if you did not wear your seatbelt. Of course this assume normal operation.
    THANK YOU! someone explained it over the bias "it's all CMs/Disney fault" issue. Really I would have explained it but the posts here sometimes really anger me where I really don't want to reply but glad you brought it all up in a well written post.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The facts were stated in the original post. The seatbelt wasn't working causing some concern to these riders. Disney workers ignored these concerns thus failing to do their job. A complaint made to City Hall is valid and justified.
    but not ALL the facts. we're going on what she experienced not the CMs at hand so we're only getting her side. A bit unfair but that cannot be helped. the seatbelt WAS working because if it wasn't she wouldn't have been able to ride. we know they didn't irgnore her because the ride isn't fully automated. someone has to confirm if something is ok or not before pushing a button for dispatching or to hold and fix the issue. it's not just the CMs on track but also the Control Tower CM is following things too and seeing if everything is ok. Again I myself ask anyone who is panicking/confused about how things are going if they're ok so Perhaps the CMs down there could have been more attentive but to accuse them of failing in their safety job for a small lack of attention is a bit unfair especially when you have many CMs following what is going on. Your article is unfair to post as an example because you can still be perfect in everything you do but things small or big will happen. yes there was faulty work at hand but tell me what are the odds of death on a coaster?

Granted I don't know Matterhorn so I know nothing of how their operation really works but all you have to do is observe and ask.

...As I see it

• Knight that says Nee!!

Out of the thousands of bolts the maintenance inspectors looked at on September 5th, 2003 they missed the few that happened to hold the axel assembly on Thunder Mountain. Should that be just shrugged off as well?
    Big Thunder Railroad Death Brings Big Admission From Disney | The Legal Examiner Pinellas

A panicked rider can be just as dangerous depending on the frame of mind they are in and how deep the concern is for their safety.
    Oh gosh! What an epiphany you gave me. YES! Inspecting safety bolts is EXACTLY like rushing over to coddle a panicked person having an issue with something that is about to be actually checked by another person who's job it is to check it. Yes, FIRE THEM ALL IMMEDIATELY. (/sarcasm) Also note I never said anything at all about not complaining to City Hall. If they feel it was such a trauma, they are welcome to do just that. I SPECIFICALLY stated I was talking about the calls to terminate the CM's employment and belittling the CMs due to this situation.

• Selfie Expert

No matter what the protocol is, if a customer is concerned about anything, especially their safety, that should be a priority for a CM to address. All they have to do is explain that the belt will buckle at that last stop. For them to not address this is poor customer service, and there is no arguing that. I don't care if it wasn't a true safety concern, if the customer feels its a concern to them, it IS. Obviously, if the customer continued to freak out even after having the procedure explained to them, then it's the customer's fault and they are choosing to be an issue. Based on the OP's report, that is not the case. All it would have taken is one sentence to explain that they don't need to worry because it isn't designed to buckle until that last stop. Plain and simple.

I'm sorry that happened to you, it should not have! Hopefully it will be addressed and corrected.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Senior Minion

^ Very well said.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Pilot EdForceOne

The guest's EXPECTATIONS of the CM's roles and responsibilities based on their own guesses are not 'facts'.

Your positioning of this as 'the facts were stated in the original post' is pretty much the poster child of the adage of 'There are two sides to every story...'
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Monorail Minion

As we discuss CMs ignoring her frazzled complaints, consider the following:

1) There is a load position and a seat belt check/ dispatch position. The seat belt checker was responsible for ensuring the safety of the guests in the bobsled before Malinas first and then to dispatch them. The next step would be to help Malina in her sled, who according to her own story, had her belt buckled by then.

2) The load CM would have put the lives of at least 12 guests at risk by leaving her post watching load and unload to help a screaming guest that she knew was safe.

One thing you are not considering, Malina, is that CMs are busy ensuring the safety of everyone, not just you. The dispatch CM would have absolutely helped you. They did not have a CM to help you right at that second. I'm sure no one was trying to go out of their way to ensure the screaming guest received no help... There are much more important things to do when operating a ride such as Matterhorn that take priority over that.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

It has not loops....unless you weight less then 50 pounds and are not holding to the hand rails...or holding the seat belt you will not fall out that ride

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    No matter what the protocol is, if a customer is concerned about anything, especially their safety, that should be a priority for a CM to address. All they have to do is explain that the belt will buckle at that last stop. For them to not address this is poor customer service, and there is no arguing that. I don't care if it wasn't a true safety concern, if the customer feels its a concern to them, it IS. Obviously, if the customer continued to freak out even after having the procedure explained to them, then it's the customer's fault and they are choosing to be an issue. Based on the OP's report, that is not the case. All it would have taken is one sentence to explain that they don't need to worry because it isn't designed to buckle until that last stop. Plain and simple.
    That is the best reply of this thread. All other replies are variations of baloney.
    Alleviating a guest's fears for their safety is not "coddling" them. It is your job.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post

One thing you are not considering, Malina, is that CMs are busy ensuring the safety of everyone, not just you. The dispatch CM would have absolutely helped you. They did not have a CM to help you right at that second. I'm sure no one was trying to go out of their way to ensure the screaming guest received no help... There are much more important things to do when operating a ride such as Matterhorn that take priority over that.
    No, I freely acknowledged that. However, as the others here have said, it would have taken one sentence to get me to stop panicking. One sentence. The load and flashlight people can't leave their posts? Okay, but as I am passing right by them and screaming, and my friend is screaming, maybe they should have said "don't worry, the belt will work" or something along those lines instead of just blankly staring at me. That would not have required them to leave their posts, would it?

The response here seems to show a little bit of contempt. Telling a CM that one's seat belt does not appear to be extending is not a "frazzled complaint." It's a valid concern. If you're going into the day with a dismissive attitude toward guests, assume everything they ask about must be wrong, and they must be idiots who just don't get it...you're going to miss when they have real concerns you need to address. You're also going to offer very poor customer service.

---------- Post added 10-08-2012 at 11:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    Hi Malina,

I see a lot responses. You asked "Is this what should have happened?"

The short answer is you were fine. There was no danger.

The long answer. If you ever just watch the process of loading guests at this attraction, just while you are in line, you will see several incidents of guest still fastening their seat belts at that last stop at the mouth of the cave that takes you up the lift hill. It honestly is common. I am sorry it happen to you and that in doing so, it created a panic in your heart. A quick "It's ok someone will help you before it goes" may have gone a long way to calm your concerns. Cast members deal with this time and time again, several times an hour. It may be the first time for you, but for them it likely becomes a very monotonous routine. This is not to justify their actions, after all they should always be understanding that what is routine to them, is a new and alarming experience to you and the next guest and the next one and the next one...... etc. To you and each of those guests they should be equally compassionate, understanding and proactive in calming your concerns. But in the course of hour after hour, day after day.... Again, not saying its ok how they handled it, but I do understand the mentality they were likely in. It is the Disney way.... clearly no. Is it human nature.... I will let you decide.

All that said, it is correct that the Matterhorn will not dispatch with out all six belts fastened. They aren't really checking that your belts are fastened, the system does that part just fine. And yes they are sort of double checking the system but.... more then that they are checking for those who might try to cheat the system for cheap thrill by fastening the belt first, and then sitting on top of it.

Remember the old sleds could not only be dispatch with out belts fastened, but a rider could unfasten them after dispatch. They were built in a day and time where the guest could be trusted to just keep the seat belt fastened. And if they didn't... well I do know of people who have unfastened their belt during the ride and lived to tell about.

Due to this, I do know the old sleds would not throw you from them if you did not wear your seatbelt. Of course this assume normal operation.
    Thank you very much for this, and for all of the others who have added helpful information. It makes sense.

---------- Post added 10-08-2012 at 11:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post

I'm sorry that happened to you, it should not have! Hopefully it will be addressed and corrected.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-08-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Malina, I'm sorry this happened, I would probably be upset too. Personally, I always advocate for the people who work the customer service positions, simply because people suck. However, I think it's a little odd they just stared at you, yes, they could just screamed back, "don't worry, we'll get it" or something. No, I don't think they should be fired. But, maybe they didn't understand what you were screaming abuout? they couldn't hear or something. Which would make it really weird that no one investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but still on the topic of Matterhorn safety: what if something lands on the track somewhere? A hat or whatever is sitting on the track. How do they know something is there? Does the ride shut down? And how do they retrieve the object?
    In the first week or so after the Matterhorn reopening this summer, I did have a ride where there was a hat on the track that I was riding on. Now we just rolled over it just fine, but knowing that nothing should really be on the track, benign or not, I alerted the CMS at the end of the ride, even telling them what track I was on and where exactly the hat was. The only response I got was a blank look and an "OK". Now I know it wasn't a HUGE emergency as we rolled over it just fine, but I really think this kind of apathy towards something small could result is something big. If the hat was on the track, it could do something, you never know.

To this day, I'm a little nervous about stuff like that because there are so many different things guests could lose or even throw on the track that COULD do damage to the car or alter the path it takes, and just because it was a simple hat, doesn't mean it didn't warrant at least a look at it.

• Minion

I think this could be a scary experience especially if you do not know how the ride system worked. I understand how you could be scared at the time, but I think the important thing is that the seat belt was put on. I'm sure the Cast Member only had time to nod. I'm sure this is a high stressed position as they have to worry about a number of things.
    Jeff Wayne

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoman View Post
    the seatbelt WAS working because if it wasn't she wouldn't have been able to ride.
    Again, this is not really the point. The point is that she had the perception that it was not working properly and the workers did nothing to correct that perception. This is a customer service failure and huge irresponsibility on the part of the employee.

we know they didn't irgnore her because the ride isn't fully automated. someone has to confirm if something is ok or not before pushing a button for dispatching or to hold and fix the issue.
    They may have confirmed at the final stop point before dispatch that everything was working, but that is also not the issue. The issue is that the first person she talked to ignored her concerns without even a, “don’t worry, that person over there will take care of you.” From her point of view there was not another stop point. It appeared to the rider that the sled was leaving the station to start the ride without her seatbelt being secured.

it's not just the CMs on track but also the Control Tower CM is following things too and seeing if everything is ok. Perhaps the CMs down there could have been more attentive but to accuse them of failing in their safety job for a small lack of attention is a bit unfair especially when you have many CMs following what is going on.
    Unless that was communicated to the rider, there was no way she could have known this. Therefore by not communicating to the rider to address her safety concerns they are not meeting their primary job duty which is customer service.

Your article is unfair to post as an example because you can still be perfect in everything you do but things small or big will happen. yes there was faulty work at hand but tell me what are the odds of death on a coaster?
    For Marcelo Torres, the odds were pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Oh gosh! What an epiphany you gave me. YES! Inspecting safety bolts is EXACTLY like rushing over to coddle a panicked person having an issue with something that is about to be actually checked by another person who's job it is to check it. Yes, FIRE THEM ALL IMMEDIATELY. (/sarcasm) Also note I never said anything at all about not complaining to City Hall. If they feel it was such a trauma, they are welcome to do just that. I SPECIFICALLY stated I was talking about the calls to terminate the CM's employment and belittling the CMs due to this situation.
    First off, it would not be “rushing over to coddle a panicked person”. As I stated above, it would be as easy as saying, “don’t worry, that person over there will take care of you.”

As far as comparing it to the Thunder Mountain incident, having a panicked person jump out of their seat prior while the sled is moving can be just as deadly as having the train roll over on someone.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast