Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 174
  1. #121

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,643

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Hardly relevant, don't you think? Every possible excuse they could come up with to defend, justify and rationalize their inaction, and to blow off any responsibility on their part and that of their employer, has already been offered in this thread.
    We only have one side of the story... if people weren't so quick to jump on others as being wrong or doing wrong... maybe level heads would prevail and we'd take information in context and evaluate it.. and not just say OFF WITH THEIR HEADS.

    It is unfortunate the guest was upset - yes. Do I really believe they were frantically yelling and being ignored by the CMs? Not really. If they were 'frantically yelling' don't you think everyone else around them would have reacted too? Or did everyone within 50ft panic about these two girls screaming.. except the 4 CMs?

    People are just too willing to buy into stories too literally.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  2. #122

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,843

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    4 people doing things wrong.. who aren't here to defend their side of the story...
    or
    1 person who is the only one here telling her side of the story.

    What are the odds?

    Yet we are ready to damn the 4 based solely on the words of 1

    Yup.. that's the state of our society...
    I think this reply pretty much puts this whole thing to bed.

    Nothing happened, there was no failure of the system, on the contrary, it worked as it was supposed to, there was no negligence. Just one slightly panicked guest who took a little too long to get her seat belt on.

  3. #123

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Ride operations is filled with high pressure to meet both safety and capacity demands. Guest service is a goal, yes, but let's be honest here:

    1) She was fine.
    2) She was always going to be fine.
    3) She fixed it herself. No need.

    I guarantee you, GUARANTEE YOU the CMs see people panic all the time, either joking or real. Once it becomes dangerous is if she's panicking violently right before the CM pushes the button to let the sled enter the mountain. In her story she states that she got it buckled, the CM nodded and all was good in the world.

    Now I'm sure the standard response would be, "b-but they could've acted up later on even if they calmed down!" Not the loaders' problem. If everyone is seated calm, buckled tight, the ride is safe to go. There are cameras all along the ride track, with CMs in a position where they can see every single thing that's going on. There's a BIG RED BUTTON that will initiate an E-Stop if anything more were to occur. But a loader's job is:

    1) Are all six passengers buckled in?
    2) Do they seem relatively stable?

    Okay, push button, get the next ride vehicle to keep this ride moving smoothly so we can hopefully strive towards our max capacity. As soon as she buckled the belt, she was calm. The end. The CMs probably thought nothing of it and this is a gross overreaction.

  4. #124

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,598

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Nothing happened, there was no failure of the system, on the contrary, it worked as it was supposed to.
    Only if the system working means ignoring a rider's safety concerns.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

  5. #125

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Who wants to bet that a guest going, "Hey my seatbelt isn't working" as they moved from load to belt check happened probably a dozen other times already that day?

  6. #126

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,907

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Originally Posted by cruise
    My personal take here is that there are so many holes and inconsistencies in this original story that I am more inclined to the side of the CM who does this everyday than the rider who clearly was experiencing the ride for on of their first times.
    Not even close to the truth. I've been an AP for years and I've been on the Matterhorn, both sides, both before and after the refurb, more times than I can count. Go back and look at all the posts I've made about the Matterhorn over the past 2 years. The fact that the seat belt did not behave as it always had before is ONE of the reasons I was panicked. I KNEW what to expect on the ride load.

    If you've been on the ride 100 times and the 101th time the belt doesn't work the way it did the other 100, are you really telling me you wouldn't be concerned?

    ---------- Post added 10-09-2012 at 06:58 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The point is not what those cast members saw, but what for whatever reason they failed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Only if the system working means ignoring a rider's safety concerns.

    This and this.
    ---------- Post added 10-09-2012 at 07:00 PM ----------


    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Who wants to bet that a guest going, "Hey my seatbelt isn't working" as they moved from load to belt check happened probably a dozen other times already that day?
    If it's something that is happening that often, maybe they need to look at why that is the case.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-09-2012 at 06:08 PM.

  7. #127

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    If it's something that is happening that often, maybe they need to look at why that is the case.
    Because people are presumptive and uncertain, whereas CMs are certain. The Matterhorn has an hourly capacity of 1500 riders per hour, cut it in half and those experiencing an hour-long load rotation go on to dispatch about 750 people. That's 125 cars, in that hour ALONE. With that much consistency, the CMs know what is occurring, they know that the guest may occasionally address a concern about their seatbelt. But it doesn't matter until it reaches belt check.

    750 people all will react to things in totally different ways. If a CM goes to load positions in their shift, that's encountering a good 1.5K people throughout just there alone. They've seen it all. They probably knew you were safe. The situation probably occurred in the matter of what? 20 seconds? And everything went fine. Believe me, they knew more than you'd ever know. And the fact that we're damning them without hearing their side of the story is ludicrous.

  8. #128

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,907

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5 View Post
    Because people are presumptive and uncertain, whereas CMs are certain. The Matterhorn has an hourly capacity of 1500 riders per hour, cut it in half and those experiencing an hour-long load rotation go on to dispatch about 750 people. That's 125 cars, in that hour ALONE. With that much consistency, the CMs know what is occurring, they know that the guest may occasionally address a concern about their seatbelt. But it doesn't matter until it reaches belt check.

    750 people all will react to things in totally different ways. If a CM goes to load positions in their shift, that's encountering a good 1.5K people throughout just there alone. They've seen it all. They probably knew you were safe. The situation probably occurred in the matter of what? 20 seconds? And everything went fine. Believe me, they knew more than you'd ever know. And the fact that we're damning them without hearing their side of the story is ludicrous.
    The rider is "unsure" of what happens on just about every ride at Disneyland and DCA, but as far as I can recall, on all the trips I've been there, I don't remember a lot of riders complaining about their belts on Indy, Star Tours, Space, Thunder Mountain, Screamin', or any of the other E-tickets. I've never had an issue in all the hundreds of times I have been on those rides. The bar comes down or you put on the seat belt, and you go. It's not rocket science.

    So if the Matterhorn loaders are getting complaints or concerns from riders every hour, every day that they are working, maybe they need to be looking at why so many riders are having issues. As has been mentioned here before, it doesn't matter what the CMs know if they don't share it with the guests...so if even 5% of that 750 are panicking about their belts maybe there should be a push to do something about it. It's been mentioned here in other threads that the new sleds are uncomfortable and inconvenient to a lot of guests; this perhaps might be part of it.

    That could mean either adding a sign or announcement--as someone here mentioned--or asking the CMs to actually wake up and engage with the guests. The whole "well the CMs knew you would be safe so they didn't bother talking to you" means absolutely nothing to a guest.

    And it isn't damning someone to say that you feel they did not adequately provide good customer service at a given time, and that their actions are concerning because they could lead to a CM dismissing a valid concern.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-09-2012 at 06:37 PM.

  9. #129

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    786

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    I still don't understand what you expect from the CMs? There may have been 4 CMs there, but the one that is responsible for making sure that you're buckled in and safe did so and even nodded at you to acknowledge that he saw you were having trouble but had figured it out. Did you want him to yell "GOOD JOB, NOW YOU'RE SAFE"? Do you expect Disney to put signs on every ride that say "We promise not to start the ride until your seat belt is on"?

  10. #130

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,907

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I still don't understand what you expect from the CMs? There may have been 4 CMs there, but the one that is responsible for making sure that you're buckled in and safe did so and even nodded at you to acknowledge that he saw you were having trouble but had figured it out. Did you want him to yell "GOOD JOB, NOW YOU'RE SAFE"? Do you expect Disney to put signs on every ride that say "We promise not to start the ride until your seat belt is on"?
    A simple "don't worry, they'll take care of it up there" from the flashlight CM--you know, the one along the sled looking at every single rider, who had time to interact with them--would have sufficed. He could have said something instead of just choosing to walk past me and my friend.

    The CM who nodded was the very last one. Part of the panic here--besides the fact that I'd never had issues on the ride with a seat belt before--was that every single CM I passed seemed to be completely ignoring the situation.

  11. #131

    •   
    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    311

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    There are two unrelated conversations going on here. One is related to safety, the other to courtesy. As any Disney CM knows, safety always comes before courtesy, though both are extremely important. The stance presented in the original post was that the CM's at the attraction did something unsafe, which is not true, for reasons already explained by numerous posters.

    The attention in the thread has shifted more toward the courtesy issue. I agree that we CM's should reassure distraught guests. However, if another unrelated safety issue is happening, that has to be the priority, every time. We dont know if there were any such issues involved in this incident, and so we can't know whether the CM's were behaving optimally. While the outcome (two momentarily frightened guests) was something that should be avoided when possible, it may be that focusing their attention on avoiding that outcome would have caused something much worse to happen. We simply dont know, and any further presumption is just that: presumption. I'm not sure where there's room for arguing in any of this.

    Not that it matters, but personally, if I'd been the guest in this situation, my reaction after the problem had been resolved would be to think "Whew, I guess there was no cause for alarm after all. Silly me!" and move on.

  12. #132

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    The rider is "unsure" of what happens on just about every ride at Disneyland and DCA, but as far as I can recall, on all the trips I've been there, I don't remember a lot of riders complaining about their belts on Indy, Star Tours, Space, Thunder Mountain, Screamin', or any of the other E-tickets. I've never had an issue in all the hundreds of times I have been on those rides. The bar comes down or you put on the seat belt, and you go. It's not rocket science.

    So if the Matterhorn loaders are getting complaints or concerns from riders every hour, every day that they are working, maybe they need to be looking at why so many riders are having issues. As has been mentioned here before, it doesn't matter what the CMs know if they don't share it with the guests...so if even 5% of that 750 are panicking about their belts maybe there should be a push to do something about it. It's been mentioned here in other threads that the new sleds are uncomfortable and inconvenient to a lot of guests; this perhaps might be part of it.

    That could mean either adding a sign or announcement--as someone here mentioned--or asking the CMs to actually wake up and engage with the guests. The whole "well the CMs knew you would be safe so they didn't bother talking to you" means absolutely nothing to a guest.

    And it isn't damning someone to say that you feel they did not adequately provide good customer service at a given time, and that their actions are concerning because they could lead to a CM dismissing a valid concern.
    I'm sure it happens on all those attractions at one time or another.

    You, the guest, are on the load platform barring the ride breaking down maybe a minute to two minutes. You are not there for an hour, or for hours on end during the park's normal operations. You'd be surprised by what you don't see.

    It's not 5%, more like 2%. It happens but it's usually controlled and not very often in the grand scheme of things. But it's not a big deal. They know the situation, and what is and isn't acceptable. I'm sure the CMs knew what they were doing, unlike you think.

  13. #133

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    786

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    Not that it matters, but personally, if I'd been the guest in this situation, my reaction after the problem had been resolved would be to think "Whew, I guess there was no cause for alarm after all. Silly me!" and move on.
    Thank you! I wish more people would have this attitude instead of automatically thinking of compensation and lawsuits. In fairness, firing people, return vouchers, and lawsuits were all brought up by others, not the OP.

  14. #134

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    I agree that we CM's should reassure distraught guests. However, if another unrelated safety issue is happening, that has to be the priority, every time.
    LOL, I know what that "other issue" is a lot of the time, ride count contests! Certain leads are notorious for this, and when the goal is to cram through as many guests as possible, accidents happen with higher frequency. Seen it happen myself.

    Oh, I've also heard that some CMs are pretty upset about losing the Christmas Party (horrible decision on management's part). Not hard to see why the CMs at the load station were so apathetic.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 10-09-2012 at 07:37 PM.

  15. #135

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,843

    Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

    Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    A simple "don't worry, they'll take care of it up there" from the flashlight CM--you know, the one along the sled looking at every single rider, who had time to interact with them--would have sufficed. He could have said something instead of just choosing to walk past me and my friend.
    If this was your first ever ride on the Matterhorn, then I could understand some panic. But you say you've ridden it 100 times, so you should know they will "take care of it up there". They always do.

    Out of 100 rides, like me, you've probably encountered dozens of times when the seat belt is wet, is draped over the side, is too short or too long and needs to be adjusted, is under your foot in the front corner of the sled and hard to reach, or you need to secure the seat belt of a sibling or child before getting to your own, such that you aren't finished buckling until the last stop. Again, you should know that sometimes it takes until the last stop to buckle up. Do you need to be reassured every time that happens? If not, why was this different?

    If a guest, especially a first timer, need this level of attention, then they should tell the CM that first loads them, and then they could pass that info on to the other CMs to make sure they give the guest special assistance.

    If the CMs are safely operating the ride, which apparently they were, then it should be up to the guest to let the CMs know beforehand that they need help. It shouldn't be the CMs job to read every guest's minds to know what they're thinking.
    Last edited by Mojave; 10-09-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Personal experience with New Matterhorn?
    By HeyThere in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 09:38 PM
  3. The Old Matterhorn??
    By MAGIC KINGDOM in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 03:14 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 01:51 PM
  5. Matterhorn Tandem Pass?
    By Alchimedes in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 09:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •