Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Sad Scary Matterhorn experience

I'd love to hear from CMs on this one...

At the Halloween Party this week, we went on the Matterhorn. For some reason, when I sat down, the seat belt was folded up under the seat and I had to struggle to get it in order. I was scrambling to get the belt on...

...and the vehicle began moving.

We got to the second stop where they check the belts with flashlights and mine was still jammed up. This whole time, my friend and I were frantically yelling to the CMs that I couldn't get my belt to work. It was somehow jammed on the side and I couldn't get it moving. There were about four CMs there.

...and the vehicle moved again, right to the mouth of the mountain before the first hill. Of course I started panicking at this point. I finally got my belt on, and the CM just nodded.

What the heck. My friend, after the ride, said that she was terrified they were going to send me up the hill without a belt on, because none of the CMs seemed at all concerned I was having trouble and none of them said anything. All of them ignored us when we were yelling there was a problem with the belt.

I wouldn't have wanted the ride to go 101 because of me, or to slow things up...but frankly, I would think they'd want to make sure everyone had a seat belt on before sending them to the bottom of the hill. The ride wasn't crowded at that point. And what I don't get is that they didn't even try to intervene, ie, signaling that the sled was not actually ready to go into the mountain.

CMs, I'd love to hear from you on this one. Is this what should have happened?
    Last edited by Malina; 10-07-2012 at 09:24 AM.

• keh!

Re: Scary Matterhorn experience

The exact same thing happened to me the first time I rode Matterhorn since it reopened. It was stuck pretty good and I kept tugging it. The bobsled made it all the way to the final check point and it finally gave slack.

The 2nd time I rode it with another friend, I warned him about the seat belt and the same thing happened to him! What's up with that?

• -

You should have gone to City Hall with the names of the workers who casually shrugged off a seatbelt issue. That does not seem to be an offense that would allow one to keep one's job.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I feel like something similar has happened to me on that ride.

My only experience being actively angry at a CM happened on this ride too!

• Minion

Not a cm here and this is just an opinion but it seems like the ride is designed to keep moving through check points even while the passenger is still buckling up. I have even had this happen to me before the refurb as I was searching for the end of the seat belt sure it was not a jam but i can assume there is a safety stop on the final check point where the ride will not start unless the seat belts are all engaged. I assume the lack of concern on the CM's part is because they know the seat belt will loosen at the 3rd check point as it seems to happen all time, sure they should have said give it a second you will be fine but I think you percieved more danger then there actually was. Again just my opinion.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

•   
    • Minion

Honestly, I was so scared--actively scared about the prospect of the ride starting without my being buckled in--that I didn't even look at name tags. I do know what time I was on the ride, though, and which side of the mountain I was on, so I could write a complaint with that information.

I really, really hope the ride is designed as mickdaddy said, that it would not go into the mountain until everyone was buckled in--especially since it seems that I am not the only one who has had an incident like this.

However it still seems really off to me...my belt wasn't working even at the point where they were checking with flashlights to ensure we were all buckled up--and if the seat belts aren't designed to release until the last checkpoint they should let people know so they won't freak out. I've read how Dolly's Drop got its name, so the prospect of being on that ride without a seat belt probably did make me panic.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-07-2012 at 11:28 AM.

• Chief Troublemaker

Come to think of it, I can't remember a time when I DIDN'T have a problem w/the seatbelt, whether before or after the refurb. Seems like I'm never completely buckled in until that final stop just before entering the Mtn. Either can't find part of it, can't get it hooked up, or can't get it tightened.

I thought it was just me.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Senior Monorail Minion

The ride cannot dispatch without all of the seat belts buckled. None of the CMs were "brushing off" your concern. They are responsible for keeping the vehicles moving and ensuring the load area is safe while the CM assigned to seat belts died just that... Checks your belt. It is standard for the vehicle to move to that location, as it is on almost every other Disney coaster (space, Indy). No one did anything wrong. Sheesh.

The seat belts do not "loosen" at the third point. They are always loose. Most just have trouble finding the right end to pull, including myself.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

•   
    • Minion

I've been on the ride before and after rehab and I've never had a problem with the belt before, though. I'm good about sitting down, grabbing the belt and getting set. This one was honestly jammed.

My concern is really that a) the belt was jammed; b) the CMs did not respond when my friend and I both told them that the belt seemed to be jammed; c) we went PAST the first seat belt check with the flashlights and I did not have my belt on; the belt was still jammed, and the CMs had still not responded or even said "look, the belt will un-jam in a minute" or offered assistance.

• Senior Monorail Minion

The belts do not unjam. They were never "jammed. The seat belt is located near the end of the seat. It then runs to the back where it pivots to come forward again to go around your waist. There is no room for the mechanism on the back of the seat because of the foot compartments for the people behind you. That's why it is designed this way. You grabbed the belt between the mechanism and the pivot point (I do this regularly by accident). There is no "first seat belt check". The flashlight is just a once over. The real check is when they have you pull. They most likely did not respond because most people usually get it by the entrance to the mountain. If you dot have it by then, they will help you. Other CMs at other locations do not help you because they have to keep eyes on other unload/load areas to ensure the safety of those loading and exiting. As I said in my first post THE BELTS DO NOT UNJAM. Absolutely nothing was done wrong... I can guarantee you. It was not a dangerous situation and is nothing to be concerned about.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

•   
    • Minion

*sigh* Since you weren't in the seat with me, I am not sure how you can dispute what I am saying.

1. I had the belt by both the metal part and the yellow tab.
    2. I had the belt by the fabric part BELOW the metal tab.

IT DID NOT MOVE when it was pulled in any of those three points. It did not EXTEND. Therefore, IT WAS JAMMED. I've been in Indy and the Matterhorn enough times to know how those seat belts work. I've ridden Matterhorn lots of times after the refurb with no issues. This was a problem. I wasn't imagining it and I wasn't pulling the wrong part.

The CM DID NOT help me at the foot of the mountain when it was clear the seatbelt still did not work. I was sitting there yanking on the thing as hard as I could; I was yelling, my friend was yelling, and the CM seemed to be totally oblivious.

Also, the CMs have mouths, don't they? I am sure it wouldn't have killed them to say something to me or ask what was wrong.

I honestly wouldn't have posted this thread if I knew I'd grabbed the wrong part of the seat belt. If I'm grabbing a seat belt that is supposed to extend and it does not, there's a problem.
    Last edited by Malina; 10-07-2012 at 12:38 PM.

• A spooky ghost

I don't know how CMs put up with what they do. Thanks for reminding me I don't miss customer service in the least.

I don't really see what any CM did wrong here. I'm sure one would have eventually came over if you couldn't get it to work, but it sounds like you eventually figured it out. The safeguards would never have allowed them to dispatch with a seatbelt unbuckled so you were never in any danger. It might have seemed rude to you that they ignored you, but keep in mind they are focused on other things as well and the person who is in little to no danger isn't going to get the most attention.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by burdenx View Post
    I don't know how CMs put up with what they do. Thanks for reminding me I don't miss customer service in the least.
    Sorry you feel that way. I've been in customer service myself, I go out of my way to be polite to CMs and not hassle them. I am the one that usually apologizes to CMs for the poor behavior of others.

And of course, the CMs have a lot to do and they need to focus on the most urgent matters. However, if a CM is there with a flashlight to look at guests' restraints and a guest is having an issue...um, isn't that their job?

I didn't know it was an outrageous request to ask for help when a seat restraint that is supposed to keep someone from being thrown out of a roller coaster isn't working correctly.

And I also didn't know that when a guest is clearly upset and telling the CMs that something does not seem to be working right, it's good customer service to ignore them.

I don't ask to be handheld. I ask to be treated like a human being.

I hope to God that they never end up with an actual injury on that ride because they've ignored a guest that is telling them something is wrong-- and they just think the guest must be an idiot who can't operate a seat belt and let it go.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    *sigh* Since you weren't in the seat with me, I am not sure how you can dispute what I am saying.

1. I had the belt by both the metal part and the yellow tab.
    2. I had the belt by the fabric part BELOW the metal tab.

IT DID NOT MOVE when it was pulled in any of those three points. It did not EXTEND. Therefore, IT WAS JAMMED. I've been in Indy and the Matterhorn enough times to know how those seat belts work. I've ridden Matterhorn lots of times after the refurb with no issues. This was a problem. I wasn't imagining it and I wasn't pulling the wrong part.

The CM DID NOT help me at the foot of the mountain when it was clear the seatbelt still did not work. I was sitting there yanking on the thing as hard as I could; I was yelling, my friend was yelling, and the CM seemed to be totally oblivious.

Also, the CMs have mouths, don't they? I am sure it wouldn't have killed them to say something to me or ask what was wrong.

I honestly wouldn't have posted this thread if I knew I'd grabbed the wrong part of the seat belt. If I'm grabbing a seat belt that is supposed to extend and it does not, there's a problem.
    Valid post and valid OP, Malina. I'm sorry to see that once again, as usual, the customer is being blamed for Disney's error. Thank God you weren't hurt. If you had been, you'd be accused of trying to tap Disney's deep pockets with a phony lawsuit.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast