Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• former CM

Re: Standards for Employee discipline and performance at Disneyland gets lower and lo

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    . . . No talking amongst each other and joking around in the company of customers. . .
    Sorry you've witnessed some bad behavior, CAspace, but I see excellent CMs every time I visit. I want to see them "joking around" with guests and with each other in "The Happiest Place on Earth." I read that theme park ride operators are among the most over-educated employees in America, so many are obviously not just doing it for the money. Still, if Disney wants CMs to improve they should improve how they treat them. Pay them more and don't cancel their Christmas party.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Re: Standards for Employee discipline and performance at Disneyland gets lower and lo

While I think joking around and having a good time is fine, making comments at guests expense isn't acceptable no matter how much money a company is or is not paying. That is a basic standard for customer service and it would not be acceptable anywhere else and it should not be experienced at the parks.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    While I think joking around and having a good time is fine, making comments at guests expense isn't acceptable no matter how much money a company is or is not paying. That is a basic standard for customer service and it would not be acceptable anywhere else and it should not be experienced at the parks.
    Of course not, "at guests' expense." But making guests smile and laugh while working on attractions
    (
    in my case, while I worked on the Submarine Voyage and in the handicapped area along the parade route every day during the summer of 1983, and on and around the Jungle Cruise a couple of years later), seemed to be what Disneyland was all about. (After safety, etc.)
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-08-2012 at 11:15 AM.

•   
    • Minion

I can't think of a bad experience with a CM ever they are always friendly to me. But then again i am usually friendly to them maybe that has something to do with it. Remember to give a smile some people really need it

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Of course not, "at guests' expense." But making guests smile and laugh while working on attractions and while I worked on the Submarine Voyage in the handicapped area of the parade route every day during the summer of 1983, and on and around the Jungle Cruise a couple of years later seemed to be what Disneyland was all about. (After safety, etc.)
    I think what you have described is an ideal. Personally, I do not let the attitude of a CM affect my day at the park, although an upbeat Cm certainly makes it a bit better.

I was addressing the issue the OP mentions where there was a group of CM's standing around making fun of guests and doing so within hearing of said guests.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

I've always thought the cast members were wonderful! My family and I witnessed several guests treat a cast member with such little respect it was disgusting. Even when we approached him and joked about the guests he laughed and agreed but was very professional about the situation, he did return after a few minutes and offered us a perk too! Most cast members I've seen manage to have fun and be professional.

maybe it's some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. you go into the park expecting declining service, and that's all you will notice. i know it's the nature to comment more on the bad than the positive, but i think it really gets to be a bit much around here sometimes. i know it's disneyland, but these are still human beings (getting paid minimum wage in some cases) and they're going to make mistakes and have bad days and maybe not notice a guest right away.

anyway, the norm for me is to experience positive, friendly CMs

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine711 View Post
    I've always thought the cast members were wonderful! My family and I witnessed several guests treat a cast member with such little respect it was disgusting. Even when we approached him and joked about the guests he laughed and agreed but was very professional about the situation, he did return after a few minutes and offered us a perk too! Most cast members I've seen manage to have fun and be professional.
    This was probably because he was GRATEFUL that you recogonized that these CM's 90% of the time have to deal with some real bozo's and that can weigh a person down. It is refreshing for them to see people who are not disrespectful a-holes.

I respect each and every one of those CM's, they deal with alot and I've seen it first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    This was probably because he was GRATEFUL that you recogonized that these CM's 90% of the time have to deal with some real bozo's and that can weigh a person down. It is refreshing for them to see people who are not disrespectful a-holes.

I respect each and every one of those CM's, they deal with alot and I've seen it first hand.
    As do I, that's why I commented on the other guests. He looked like he needed to know that some of us appreciated the work he was doing.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: I don't mind cast members joking around with each other as long as it's not at the expense of a guest. In Florida at the Magic Kingdom, for instance, my sisters and I were at the Bakery waiting for a cast member to acknowlege us so we could place our orders. There were 6 cast members behind the counter just laughing it up and having a good time--totally oblivious to the fact that they had guests waiting to be acknowledged. This went on for a full minute or more. We tried to get their attention but it seemed as though they were pretending not to notice they had an customers. Finally we had to speak up loudly to call out to them. Only then did they notice us and even then seemed reluctant to do their jobs. We reported them, later, to guest relations. That was not good behavior at all!
    I agree with this.

I would much rather come to the park and see CMs who are laughing and happy to be there. Morale amongst employees does filter down to the guests; it's sometimes very easy to see when someone is miserable and not enjoying their job. And they're all human beings. For all I know, they received bad news right before they started their shift, or they don't feel good, or whatever. When the cast members are having fun, they really make a difference. On the tram on the way home the other night, we had a "conductor" (or whatever they call the "driver, your turn is clear"! role) who was delightful. Absolutely delightful. Everyone was tired, but she told jokes the whole way back to the parking structure and she did cheer everyone up quite a bit. When the CMs give their all, it makes a huge difference and fortunately, most of them do. I usually try to go over to City Hall or email with compliments, both for the CMs and for the characters.

Unfortunately I think one bad apple or one negative experience really does have a tendency to color one's perception of their visit (see my "Matterhorn" thread). The same way you might remember that one driver who cut you off on the freeway and forget the thousands of others who were fine.

Dealing with jerks all day long really can become a very draining experience. I worked in customer service myself and I can vouch for that.

However, some employees are just not offering good customer service. At the Halloween party last year, I remember CMs that were actually muttering to themselves under their breath, CMs who were holding personal conversations while they ignored guests, and CMs who clearly didn't want to be there. I'm sorry they didn't want to be there, but it's not my fault, and they shouldn't take it out on me. The CMs at this year's party were a lot better, and I did let Disney know that their CMs made a positive impact for me.

It's a minority of employees who are bad apples. Not all of them. Not most of them. And it's really important to recognize the great ones who make Disneyland so special. I wish they were rewarded more by their company. It has been brought up before that Disney University/etc. is not really teaching the CMs about good customer service anymore, and that really should change.

We have encountered the full gamut of cast members. Some whom I have wanted to hug & others whom I have wanted to throttle. You have to take the good with the bad. One thing that must be remembered is that there are a lot more cast members than there used to be. There are now two parks. The hours have been expanded to up to 17 hours a day. The management has to cast a wider net.

I understand that some "leads" have minimal time under their belt due to turn over. That sort of things happens when the wages involved are scant. This is known as a lack of experienced leadership. It is difficult to keep good people with low wages. In looking at the name badges, I have noticed that there are fewer and fewer year pins.
    Cast members have a difficult position & I do not envy them. Management has proven little concern for the cast members' well being. Cancellation of the Holiday parties is just the latest bit of evidence in that regard.
    I have no evidence, but have a feeling that there is some type of "caste system" alive in the parks. Front line Cast Members will always get my benefit oF the doubt. They seem to get garbage from all sides. More importantly, it is always best to spread the "pixie dust" around yourself. Mom always told you it is better to give than it is to receive. She was right.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Dealing with jerks all day long really can become a very draining experience.
    This is what I see too. Whether it's the rude vacationers that badger the guest control CMs for information that would be best answered by the plaids at city hall or the "feelings of entitlement" annual pass holders that bark complaints at them as if it were their job to take guests complaints to the mouse himself, cast members have a pretty tough job given their average age and skill set. Sometimes you just need to get your head level again and have a reality check to make it through the day.

I actually prefer approaching groups of congregating cast members with my inquiries because its almost always resulted in a positive experience.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• former CM

Speaking of low standards . . .

(I rushed out my post #18 above, which was then quoted in #20 before I revised it.
    I call attention to this only as a form of self-flagellation because, ironically,
    I had to get to a "Word Usage/Spelling" class I was teaching. The class went well, BTW.)

At Knott's Scary Farm a mom YELLED at the CMs who were having us wait to be seated for the Pre-Scare Boo-fet. Her reservation was for 5pm, but she entered the line after us and we got there at about 5:20.
    Then she YELLED at literally every employee she came across inside the restaurant including the cook
    who was carving the meats. It was making people comfortable, and while she was yelling an someone else, I jokingly suggested to one of the monsters that he scare her. He quietly responded to me, "No way, man. She scares ME."

Some rules are a bit different at Knott's Scary Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: I don't mind cast members joking around with each other as long as it's not at the expense of a guest. In Florida at the Magic Kingdom, for instance, my sisters and I were at the Bakery waiting for a cast member to acknowlege us so we could place our orders. There were 6 cast members behind the counter just laughing it up and having a good time--totally oblivious to the fact that they had guests waiting to be acknowledged. This went on for a full minute or more. We tried to get their attention but it seemed as though they were pretending not to notice they had an customers. Finally we had to speak up loudly to call out to them. Only then did they notice us and even then seemed reluctant to do their jobs. We reported them, later, to guest relations. That was not good behavior at all!
    I approve of your disapproval here and applaud your reporting it. I worked with a couple of losers at Disneyland who lowered the quality of the park, and I hoped that guests would report them. Usually bad CMs annoy their co-workers even more than their guests because their unfortunate fellow CMs have to spend all day with them.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.

• Minion

Here is my 2 cents. A lot of people on this board are AP holders and visit quite often throughout the year. Of course there will be a few times you experience customer service that isn't up to Disney perfection. Cast Members are human and a lot of them are young. Is this an excuse? Of course not. All I'm saying is if you go to the same restaurant twice monthly for a year, you're bound to get service that is less then stellar.

IMO if you have an experience that has definitely impacted your visit to the resort and future ones, take names of the CM's if you can and write a complaint letter. You can complain all you want on Micechat about service, but the best way to get your point across is to write a letter directly to the source.
    Jeff Wayne

• Senior Minion

I think the OP hits the nail on the head. It's interesting that the decline in overall CM performance and customer service standards parallels the decline in the standards of the Disney University. The former world famous Disney employee training program has devolved into a pathetic remnant of what it once was. There is no longer any meaningful training in customer service, nor does the Disney University set forth any sort of customer service standards that the CMs should live up to.

As one longtime Disney training CM pointed out,"The times you receive good customer service by a front line host or hostess is due more in part to the upbringing that CM received from their parents, and/or perhaps a particularly good Lead who is supervising that location and leading great performances.

"The times you get bad customer service is more the fault of Disney University, but only because they don't really do anything to try and correct it from the starting point of OJT."
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast