Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• some assembly required

Re: Standards for Employee discipline and performance at Disneyland gets lower and lo

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    And if you're having a bad day, then yes, lie! Or should I say, act! Put on a smile, and leave your attitude backstage.
    They are called cast members after all. I sooooo agree.
    It is a sign of the times. It is society. At the end of the day, I get better overall CS from DLR than I do most places, but at those prices I want a staffed park and CMs who you don't have to beg (to quote the OP) to get some service.

Regarding a properly staffed park, would this be a diff thread? I focused on it a bit in my recent TR:
    DLR Sept 24-29 Fun in the Sun and the First MHP [**WARNING: Strong Opinions Ahead**]
    ...but I want others opinions on this topic. I guess I'll start it if I don't see a recent thread about guest:CM
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Re: Standards for Employee discipline and performance at Disneyland gets lower and lo

these are people! not professional actors (except for those that are actors, face characters etc), despite whatever name you want to give them. i agree it's discouraging to encounter someone who doesn't meet your idea of satisfactory customer service, but cut them some slack!

maybe i have more sympathy for the CMs since i worked at disney world. i can't remember letting bad days affect my work, but i'm sure there were days when i was a little slower to smile at guests...

also, i might just be a disney apologist

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It's disappointing that now we have to have the mindset of "they are having a bad day" or "cut them some slack". I guess if we all lower our standards we'll all be happy.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Set an impossible standard and it guarantees you will always have something to whine and complain about.

As stated before...unprofessional behavior is indeed unacceptable. However "doing their job" properly includes fun interaction with guests and also with each other as part of entertaining guests...and it also makes it a more enjoyable place to work i am sure.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by paradesintherain View Post

also, i might just be a disney apologist

Kinda sounds like it. Because...
    When I provide/provided CS, I did a great job of "acting". I am not a "professional actor". I expect this of my employees, and we have nothing to do w/ Disney. I was making a bit of a pun above^^^. There was a time and there are still places where the employee doesn't get *snippy* just b/c you asked them to do their job. If they do not want to be there and do the job right (including leaving the bad attitude at home), they should hire another person. Lord knows there are many ppl out of work.

With that said, I understand why Disney and others allow these employees to continue there bad services. It cost $ to hire someone (training, etc.) New employees need to be trained by other employees, other employees need to process the paperwork. It is very sad that Disney doesn't want to fork over this cash to solve a problem, yet instead allows piss-poor CM attitudes to thrive in their parks.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

•   
    • Minion

It probably also goes back to the wage - quality relationship. The good employees at Disney right now are really there for a labor of love, because the wages and benefits are so poor. A lot of people who would be great employees probably look at those wages and are forced to say "well, I can't live on $9/hour. In N Out will start me at $11, give me more regular hours, and let me move up in time...and I won't have to spend 45 minutes driving to work." Actors who would totally ham it up and be fantastic might say "well, they are so inflexible that they won't accommodate the days I need off to audition/do other work."

If Disney were to raise wages and invest in employee care and training, they would probably start attracting a lot more prospective employees, the hiring pool would be more diverse and they could really pick great candidates.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well...if you don't allow people to goof off and tell them always be serious...how cant they be happy? Stand in this spot for an hour don't talk to anyone unless they talk to you and do not work here....

I just think Disney needs to pay and train the employees more...it's as simple as that

As a CM, I don't think I'm allowed to comment much, but I do agree with most of what has been said. I know that personally, I try to be the best I can be because I love Disney and want everyone in the park to have the time of their life and also because it was the way I was brought up. Treat others better then the way you want to be treated.Feel free to moderate my comment because I really don't know what I can and cannot say...

• ******** Gold Member

Usually all the CMs are very nice with great customer service skills. The two worst experiences were recently with line gatekeepers for Radiator Springs Racers, different male CMs, different months, one at approximately 10 AM and the other approx 10 PM. As usual, it was very crowded with long lines of ansy riders, so I realize this may be one of the most challenging CM positions. However, both were extremely rude and had poor customer service skills. Shockingly poor. After comments here, next time I will get names and quite possibly video for Disney management to experience what I did.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Set an impossible standard and it guarantees you will always have something to whine and complain about.
    I don't think that expecting employees to work and not screw around during their shift is setting an impossible standard. They are given breaks and lunches to socialize and goof off. There is no reason it needs to be done on the clock.
    However "doing their job" properly includes fun interaction with guests and also with each other as part of entertaining guests...
    The bold part is the key. As long as it is done for the purpose of entertaining the guests there is no problem with having some fun with coworkers. That is part of their job: to make someone's visit to the park more enjoyable.

However it's when a worker is just standing around with their buddy speculating if Han is going to shoot first in the Angry Birds version of Star Wars that I have a problem.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post

However it's when a worker is just standing around with their buddy speculating if Han is going to shoot first in the Angry Birds version of Star Wars that I have a problem.
    And others would not have a problem with that...which seems to be more your issue...that others don't agree with your personal expected standard for Disney CM conversations allowed while on duty. Yes two CMs standing around for parade crowd control talking to each other within ear shot about something simple like that would just SO ruin my experience. You're so right as usual and not over the top with your expectations at all.

Unprofessional conduct is an issue. Simple conversations...so what? That's my opinion, and it is different than some others here...it happens. Moving on.

You know, there has been talk of bad CS being a sign of the times, but just as good CS is declining, so is the level of repect from the consumers. Seems like many people are self-entitled brats who feel like they can treat everyone else like crap, especially people like cast members. So if they want to have a bit of fun on the job, and it helps them to be a little better and relaxed on the job, more power to em.

•   

It's always interesting to see the gamut of guest expectations in threads like these.

Personally, as a CM, I find it inexcusable when other CM's provide less-than-stellar service. Bad things happen in your personal life, certain guests are incredibly rude and stupid, the work itself isn't always a total blast.......and none of that matters. The Disneyland Resort deserves people who will put those things aside, embrace their role with zeal, put on a big smile, and focus on the guests instead of each other. I feel comfortable saying this because it's the same standard to which I hold myself on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine711 View Post
    You know, there has been talk of bad CS being a sign of the times, but just as good CS is declining, so is the level of repect from the consumers. Seems like many people are self-entitled brats who feel like they can treat everyone else like crap, especially people like cast members. So if they want to have a bit of fun on the job, and it helps them to be a little better and relaxed on the job, more power to em.
    ah thank you! i couldn't think of a way to word that sentiment, and you did it wonderfully

• -

And others would not have a problem with that...which seems to be more your issue...that others don't agree with your personal expected standard for Disney CM conversations allowed while on duty. Yes two CMs standing around for parade crowd control talking to each other within ear shot about something simple like that would just SO ruin my experience. You're so right as usual and not over the top with your expectations at all.

Unprofessional conduct is an issue. Simple conversations...so what? That's my opinion, and it is different than some others here...it happens. Moving on.
    If they are standing around having a conversation, that is less attention that they are paying to the job that they are supposed to be doing.

If I am payed to do a job, I do it. When I had menial jobs where I dealt with the public, I performed my job when I was in front of the crowd. I don't see why it should be any different for anyone else.

If two workers are looking for something in a stock room and want to have a chat while they are doing it, fine. It doesn't take away from the show.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast