Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Standards for Employee discipline and performance at Disneyland gets lower and lo

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    However it's when a worker is just standing around with their buddy speculating if Han is going to shoot first in the Angry Birds version of Star Wars that I have a problem.
    See, unless they were blatantly ignoring me, I would think that was awesome. I would probably join in the conversation .

What I have a problem with is employees who are outright vicious to the customer (not usually at Disneyland). A few months ago, I had an experience with a hotel clerk (not near Disneyland) who was incredibly rude to us, and then put a false "do not rent" under my name so I couldn't stay there anymore for absolutely no reason. Now that was bad employee behavior to me! (And her manager backed her up).
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Re: Standards for Employee discipline and performance at Disneyland gets lower and lo

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    See, unless they were blatantly ignoring me, I would think that was awesome. I would probably join in the conversation .

What I have a problem with is employees who are outright vicious to the customer (not usually at Disneyland). A few months ago, I had an experience with a hotel clerk (not near Disneyland) who was incredibly rude to us, and then put a false "do not rent" under my name so I couldn't stay there anymore for absolutely no reason. Now that was bad employee behavior to me! (And her manager backed her up).
    Oh, well that's unnecesary. They should save that kind of stuff for when people actually deserve it. I had a coworker who used to alert our managers to certain cusrtomers because she didn't like them. It was useless because soo many other customers needed a beat down. Be nice to the ones who deserve it!
    Perfect example of my beliefs -yes, I think people need to respect CS workers, but Yes, some of them actually do suck.

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    No talking amongst each other and joking around in the company of customers.
    No goofing off and cursing amongst guests.
    Totally, work should suck. If we can figure out a way to make CM jobs less enjoyable, maybe the quality of service will improve.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    In that case you would have absolutely hated Disneyland back when I was a kid. Because in comparison they did act "perfect" 24/7.
    And that's what we were paid to do, to be sure.

In fact, I had a couple come on Pan one time, and I overheard the young man say to his girlfriend just prior to boarding, 'I wonder if his smile is permanently fixed on his face.' As they boarded, I leaned over and told him it was.
    He responded in a surprised way, not knowing I heard him. He sort of laughed and apologized. I just smiled in return and told him that's what we do. It's the happiest place on earth.

I do see a lot of differences though nowadays, and while I see the present CMs as, overall, being very friendly and helpful, if you saw two (or, even worse, more) CMs clustered together back when I worked there, the supervisor and/or the lead would be on top of it real quick. I see more clustering of CMs lately, and it does seem to go rather unchecked.

Are there ways you can show that you enjoy your job without being surrounded by a posse of fellow CMs to achieve that affect? Sure.

Did our remaining separated from our fellow CMs make us look awkward or uncomfortable to the guest? I really don't think so. It made us more approachable for the guests, and we spent a lot of time talking to the guests.

Besides there were enough opportunities to interact with your fellow CMs professionally (and even socially to a degree) without it being blatant.

As to the smile? Was it fake? Well, maybe we didn't always feel like smiling, but we did the best we could to present as positive because that's what was expected of us.

Smiles can certainly be fake. But they can also be real.

There's also the smile that exists somewhere in between. A lot of jobs don't necessarily want you wearing last night's bad date on your sleeve. Everyone does it; they present in a positive way, even when they may not feel like it.

In another area that's been mentioned on these boards, if you had sunglasses on in the shade, much less after dusk, someone was on you almost immediately.

Stubble on the chin? You went backstage to shave. (And yes, there was a lot of facial hair in society at that time, so it wasn't like facial hair is more "acceptable" now, so you have to change with the times).

You had white socks on a dark sock attraction, you went back to one of the machines backstage where you could buy a pair of socks and throw them on.

And the costumes? They stayed behind the berm. Which is how it should be. You didn't experience the total magic until you passed through the main gates.

Working at Disneyland was a happy and enjoyable time, but it was regimented. There was very little gray area. You knew what was expected so you followed the rules. And didn't gripe about it. Because that's what Disneyland was. It was different. It was special. And you were happy to follow those rules.

Hmm,

I'm going to have to agree with the original poster. Have standards declined? Sure. Is that a bad thing? Nope. Along with declining standards we have a lot of great things that have come as a result. Poorly paid employees add to the bottom line and ensure greater margins. More importantly with lax standards, employees are less burdened with the strain and stresses associated with the difficult job. Allowing these human beings to be, human beings, ensures a higher quality of life for the helpless individuals consripted to employment.

• ~

If they are standing around having a conversation, that is less attention that they are paying to the job that they are supposed to be doing.

If I am payed to do a job, I do it. When I had menial jobs where I dealt with the public, I performed my job when I was in front of the crowd. I don't see why it should be any different for anyone else.

If two workers are looking for something in a stock room and want to have a chat while they are doing it, fine. It doesn't take away from the show.
    I understand that I'm in the minority here, but I basically agree with everything that you've said, especially your comment about the show. I know that Cast Members are human beings and not flawless robots, but when a Cast Member is putting their 110% effort into their role, it does amazing things for a guest's experience.

Last time I rode the Tower of Terror, when we were waiting to load the elevator, two Cast Members were standing several feet away discussing their plans for after work. I understand that in the majority of people's books that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this, and quite frankly, I believe that I understand where they're coming from. But it did bother me. Talking about other plans show that their concerns were about their social life after work, not about the guests standing next to them. On the other hand, walking through the queue earlier, we were greeted by a fantastically creepy Cast Member who embraced his role and enhanced the spirit of the ride-- I was instantly transported into the story of the attraction. The other two Cast Members broke the illusion. This might not matter to the majority of the guests, but it mattered to me. I wish that all Cast Members could realize the impact that their behavior has on the guests and could discover a way to have fun with their job without breaking the story. Of course, guest behavior is a totally different topic. I equally wish that guests could realize that Cast Members deserve to be treated with respect and dignity.

The worst experience that I've had with a Cast Member was several years ago. I was getting popcorn in New Orleans Square and asked a Cast Member how he was doing. He proceeded to complain in a terribly whiny voice how tired he was, how late he had been working the night before, and how late he was going to be working tonight, ultimately conveying the message that he did not want to be there, creating a very awkward moment for my family and I. This is the type of behavior that I can't tolerate. I empathize with Cast Members that are treated poorly by inconsiderate guests and receive lower wages that what they deserve, but their job is ultimately to make the guest happy, to make the guest feel welcome. If they are failing to put forth an effort to make the guest feel at home, I can't forgive their apathy.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    Totally, work should suck. If we can figure out a way to make CM jobs less enjoyable, maybe the quality of service will improve.
    Our job is not to enjoy the work. Our job is ensure that guests enjoy their experience. That being said, Disney should absolutely take steps to ensure that the work environment is a positive one. There are lots of good ways to do that. None of them involve turning a blind eye to idle conversations (or worse) that detract from the guest experience.

Look, these things happen. Just today I was onstage and found myself engaged in an unnecessary conversation with a fellow CM. I was so focused on the conversation that I didn't notice a guest approach to ask a question. The guest had to verbally get my attention. I immediately shifted my focus and provided friendly, helpful assistance to the guest, apologizing for being distracted. It reminded me that it is easy to let these sorts of conversations interfere with work......but it is also unacceptable.

Of course, brief onstage interchanges between CM's allow for a more friendly atmosphere for CM's and guests alike. The idea isn't that CM's should be ignoring each other.....the idea is that they should be focused on the guests.

All valid points. I do see there is room to make your job fun. We all like to have a little fun in front of guests. IMO I love the guest service that the CM's give at Disneyland. I recently went to WDW for the first time and was kind of shocked at how their CMs are. I did meet some great CMs, but it was rare. Anyways I feel like the CMs at DLR are awesome!

• Nic

In regards to my post, I wasn't saying Cast Members should goof off and ignore guests, I'm just saying I'd rather have real people than robots with smiles on their faces. The things I like to see are the Cast Members in Pirates talking like a pirate, people like Maynard in Tiki Room that make the show different, etc.

To be honest, I'd be a little freaked out with "practically perfect in every way" Cast Members.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Knight that says Nee!!

If they are standing around having a conversation, that is less attention that they are paying to the job that they are supposed to be doing.

If I am payed to do a job, I do it. When I had menial jobs where I dealt with the public, I performed my job when I was in front of the crowd. I don't see why it should be any different for anyone else.

If two workers are looking for something in a stock room and want to have a chat while they are doing it, fine. It doesn't take away from the show.
    It's so obvious that you are so perfect in everything you do that it is a foreign concept to you that some people don't act like robots while on a job and even others don't let their vacation be ruined or consider "the show" ruined by two CMs having a casual conversation that is not unprofessional and has no curse words in it. Oh well, no amount typing you do will change the simple fact that not everyone agrees with your overly ridged opinion on how CMs should conduct themselves, so like I said, moving on. You can't I am sure...but I can.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Funny... this thread looks almost identical to another post from CAspace almost 2.5 years ago..

Quote Originally Posted by CASpace
    Seems to be getting worse lately. I hold park management ultimatly responsible for not enforcing cast member standards. It is now common practice for cast members to congregate an talk amongst themselves while guests have to wait to ask a question. This has been occuring park wide and frankly is dispicable. At a time when 1 in 5 is unemployed in California I think many current problem employees should be replaced by the Many who are eager and willing to work hard and treat the guests (customers) with respect.
    What happens when a cast member gets a negative comment from a guest at city hall?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by gatheringrosebuds View Post
    The worst experience that I've had with a Cast Member was several years ago. I was getting popcorn in New Orleans Square and asked a Cast Member how he was doing. He proceeded to complain in a terribly whiny voice how tired he was, how late he had been working the night before, and how late he was going to be working tonight, ultimately conveying the message that he did not want to be there, creating a very awkward moment for my family and I. This is the type of behavior that I can't tolerate. I empathize with Cast Members that are treated poorly by inconsiderate guests and receive lower wages that what they deserve, but their job is ultimately to make the guest happy, to make the guest feel welcome. If they are failing to put forth an effort to make the guest feel at home, I can't forgive their apathy.
    This I would place firmly into the "unprofessional" category and is not they type of thing I have been referring to with others on here. I agree with you that that kind of interaction is detracting from the show and not within the bounds of proper conduct.

• "I Break Things"

sort of a strange paradox. Disney has substantially lowered the various requirements and standards to get a job there. Those decisions expanded their potential labor pool. Then Disney made the decision to pay barely above Knott's, and to cap said pay so as to encourage a higher turnover. Those decisions ruled out the higher ends of the labor pool. Ultimately Disney gets the employee that they, as a company, are willing to pay for at a standard they request said individual to be at. Unfortunately that cheaper labor price isn't translated into a cheaper admission ticket. So the average guest showing up is expecting the service of a Cadillac, because they paid the price of a Cadillac to be there. But they are presented with the service of a go kart, because Disney is unwilling to ask for, or pay for, a higher caliber of employee. Ultimately that decision lies with Disney. Sure you can complain about the individuals, but it is the overall decision making system that led to this.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

I'm sure there are plenty of castmembers who love their jobs and perform up to a high standard, most of them hopefully. Some people are willing to work for less money to do something they want to. Most of them will work their hardest. But, Techskip, you do have a point.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine711 View Post
    I'm sure there are plenty of castmembers who love their jobs and perform up to a high standard, most of them hopefully. Some people are willing to work for less money to do something they want to. Most of them will work their hardest. But, Techskip, you do have a point.
    For anyone who wishes to cite Walt's hiring standards feel free to do so. He didn't like Unions, and felt that everyone deserved a "living wage". That said it was typical 1950's, where the working class did well. Most will admit that Disney was a viable "career" up until the 1980's, specifically 1984 when the company changed and the workers went on strike. From that point on it slowly slid. By 2000 they had to lower standards significantly because they didn't have the labor pool to staff DCA, and individuals that met the previous high standard were unwilling to work the expected hours at the lower pay. Those standards were again lowered around 2005 when a new attendance system was implemented and individuals were fired in droves. The doors spun so quickly that they couldn't hire people fast enough.

Again the Guests enter with the expectations of a Cadillac because they paid the respective sticker price. What they don't know is that the employee flipping a burger at In-n-Out makes more vs the CM who just served them the overpriced $10 burger in the park.

All that said it doesn't excuse bad behavior, merely explains how said behavior has become more common place within the berm.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast