Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

• Knight that says Nee!!

Re: Standards for Employee discipline and performance at Disneyland gets lower and lo

Quote Originally Posted by Global View Post
    So what should a Cast Member make?

Global
    This is a useless question since "Cast Member" is an umbrella term for many diverse jobs that all require different levels of skills and training. Therefore there should not be "a wage" for the entire group but rather fair "competitive wages" for the various levels and types of job classifications.

Re: Standards for Employee discipline and performance at Disneyland gets lower and lo

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    This is a useless question since "Cast Member" is an umbrella term for many diverse jobs that all require different levels of skills and training. Therefore there should not be "a wage" for the entire group but rather fair "competitive wages" for the various levels and types of job classifications.
    What DLR pays (or what it doesn't pay) has been called out repeatedly in this thread as part of the problem for the declining performance of the DLR Cast (re: "pay peanuts, get monkeys").

I am simply asking the question to the people on this thread what they feel a Cast Member should make. Why would you be so dismissive of that question? Do I need to state each individual role instead? Okay...I will.

What hourly pay rate should a Stores Cast Member start at? How about a Food Sevice Worker at a Quick Sevice Restaurant? How about an Attractions Cast Member? How about a Day Custodial Cast Member? How about a Security Cast Member?

So, Goofy Daddy, what do you believe would be a competitive starting wage for each one of these roles?

Global

• "I Break Things"

Global you do realize that raising the pay rate won't change the "selling a Caddy but getting a go-cart" argument" don't you? Any pay and/or benefits increase for the Cast will be met if not exceeded by price increases felt by the Guests.

A far more important question is what should Disney's profit margin be? Because that is what changed from 84. Disney now maintains a double digit profit margin. Ticket prices go up what 2-3 times a year... CM's get 1 raise... what about merchandise? food? any adjustment in cost is directly passed on to the consumer and in some cases padded. The argument stands, Guests enter expecting the service of a Caddy because they paid that price to enter and be entertained. Instead they are greeted with the service of a go-cart because that is what Disney is willing to pass on to the CM's.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Global you do realize that raising the pay rate won't change the "selling a Caddy but getting a go-cart" argument" don't you? Any pay and/or benefits increase for the Cast will be met if not exceeded by price increases felt by the Guests.

A far more important question is what should Disney's profit margin be? Because that is what changed from 84. Disney now maintains a double digit profit margin. Ticket prices go up what 2-3 times a year... CM's get 1 raise... what about merchandise? food? any adjustment in cost is directly passed on to the consumer and in some cases padded. The argument stands, Guests enter expecting the service of a Caddy because they paid that price to enter and be entertained. Instead they are greeted with the service of a go-cart because that is what Disney is willing to pass on to the CM's.
    Well said, Sir.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

ka-Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Knight that says Nee!!

Ta-da! Well said skip and it helps me not have to explain why giving a specific pay rate for each CM position is a waste of time since CM pay is only part of the problem.

Let me be completely transparent here. I am not looking to argue anything by asking what people here believe Cast Members should make. I was looking for honest opinions. That's it.

If you believe that a Cast Member should make $12.00 per hour, you are right! Because that is your opinion.

If you don't want to answer the question, just go ahead and pass.

Global

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Global View Post
    Let me be completely transparent here. I am not looking to argue anything by asking what people here believe Cast Members should make. I was looking for honest opinions. That's it.

If you believe that a Cast Member should make $12.00 per hour, you are right! Because that is your opinion.

If you don't want to answer the question, just go ahead and pass.
    I was staying out because you had first asked the question specifically to Goofy Daddy, but now that you've opened up the floor, here goes.

I would like to see a starting CM make what a starter at In-n-Out Burger makes, along w/ comparable benefits, job security, and room for advancement.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

•   
    • Minion

I think it differs by role.

A while back there was a theme restaurant in NYC that hired Equity actors to wander around as entertainment and waiters. That costs a lot more than what you'd pay a food server--but it was a win win. The actors got a decent wage and the patrons of the restaurant got GOOD, professional actors who cared about their performance, hammed it up, and really made the theme work.

Could Disney do that? Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    I would like to see a starting CM make what a starter at In-n-Out Burger makes, along w/ comparable benefits, job security, and room for advancement.
    That bolded part is important, I think. A job isn't attractive just because of wages; it's also about benefits and company culture. $12/hour at Coffee Shop X or Supermarket Y, when you get health insurance, some other great benefits, the opportunity to move up to management roles and the sense that management values your presence, probably trumps $13/hour at Theme Park Z where you feel as though you're disposable, you don't get any benefits, you have to park two miles away and you don't even get a holiday party.

Plus, when the wages are higher, you'd see more people taking it seriously and looking at it as a career and not just a potboiler job.

• "I Break Things"

The Union for the most part ensures job security. They might not have much in the way of a decent contract but they "protect" you when possible. Advancement really isn't much of an option. Trainer and Lead are pretty much "it". Disney hires out Assistant Managers because they run them up the ranks in a similar fashion. For those more familiar with the military think enlisted ranks and officer ranks. Decades ago the practice was to run up from Lead, and many current managers remember that program. But there is no telling if Disney would renew that program or not. Benefits took the biggest hit and it would be nice to see comparable union benefits back in the park.

I can't say across the board who should be paid what. For attractions I would start it at $10/hr. I would set the top at $20, and allow for that to be re-evaluated every 10 years. That would encourage people to stay, which in the long term would actually save money and improve the overall moral.

Of course the problem with all of this is that Disney would immediately pass all additional costs onto the consumer, driving up prices park-wide so as to preserve the profit margin. I wasn't avoiding the question Global, I was pointing out the flaw in only focusing on pay.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Knight that says Nee!!

Malina is right, it is more than a wage issue. You can pay me $100/hr but then only let me work 4 hours a week and give me no benefits and I'd say it was a crappy job despite the "high" pay. That's why I didn't bother wasting time with a number...so much more is involved that the wage is almost a secondary consideration.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789