Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Standards for Employee discipline and performance at Disneyland gets lower and lower.

If Disney keeps charging premium prices, I would hope that service would reflect the cost.

There are the few old timers who still have the Disney magic touch although I must say the standards seem to be nonexistent these days.

I constantly see Cast Members speaking to each other and goofing off, in front of guests.
    There does not seem to be any discipline of poor employee behavior enforced by supervisors.

In this day and age with high unemployment, There is no excuse for Disneyland to not ensure that supervisors hold there employees accountable to a higher level of customer care.

No talking amongst each other and joking around in the company of customers.
    No goofing off and cursing amongst guests.

Seems like that would be common sense, sadly there seems to be a lack of supervision these days.

Of course this is not present amongst all the employees. There are of course some fantastic employees. Although sadly I am noticing that the newer crop of hires seem to be held accountable and are not being taught how to behave infront of Customers.

**Edit:
    next time you visit Disneyland, look at how especially employees working crowd control, congregate and goof off with one another, oblivious to guests around them, I have seen guests have to practicaly beg to get attention and get help with directions etc.

During a visit to Mad hatters tea party i had to beg for an employees attention while they were in a group of 4 yapping, laughing amongst each other and making fun of customers (to each other), oblivious to the fact we were all able to see and hear them.
    Last edited by CAspace; 10-07-2012 at 11:15 PM.

• Nic

Re: Standards for Employee discipline and performance at Disneyland gets lower and lo

I understand about cursing, but I'd rather see cast members genuinely being happy and having small fun with whoever they're working with and still helping guests, than stiff cast members who have a fake smile plastered on their face. We might as well replace the cast members with robots if we want them to act perfect 24/7.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Re: Standards for Employee discipline and performance at Disneyland gets lower and lo

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    I understand about cursing, but I'd rather see cast members genuinely being happy and having small fun with whoever they're working with and still helping guests, than stiff cast members who have a fake smile plastered on their face. We might as well replace the cast members with robots if we want them to act perfect 24/7.
    I agree. Unprofessional behavior like swearing or inappropriate behaviors I can understand. The employees are not automatons however. I have no problem with some friendly joking and such within the realm of being professional and keeping to their job.

• Minion

I agree.

I've had mostly good experiences with the CMs.

BTW, to the OP, what constitutes "goofing off" in this case?
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

I don't expect them to be "perfect 24/7". The duration we're talking here is 8/5, maybe more if they're on OT, and less if it's a slower time of year. Is it too much to just ask them too be decent and respectful, and to watch their language, just when they're on stage? And if you're having a bad day, then yes, lie! Or should I say, act! Put on a smile, and leave your attitude backstage.

Attitude and swearing should never be accepted. But laughing, talking, having fun, while being helpful and respectful? Being human? I'd much rather have happy CMs than fake robots who are "perfect." I guarantee you, that CM who made your day extra special on your last trip was not "faking" but was genuinely happy to work there. If that means a little fun in the mix, why not? Happy CMs make happy guests.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Pay peanuts, get .
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• -

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen View Post
    I don't expect them to be "perfect 24/7". The duration we're talking here is 8/5, maybe more if they're on OT, and less if it's a slower time of year. Is it too much to just ask them too be decent and respectful, and to watch their language, just when they're on stage? And if you're having a bad day, then yes, lie! Or should I say, act! Put on a smile, and leave your attitude backstage.
    Exactly! They are paid to work, not goof off. Especially at the guests' expense.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Cast Member

Customers paying premium prices expect premium service is completely understandable. Except for one thing, as front of line Cast, we see none of the benefits of jacked up churro and AP prices. You'd think the company was borderline broke by what they do to entry level CM's sometimes.

I've held many jobs throughout the years and can say that Disney is the most regimented I've ever seen. Communication and developing working relationships is natural, don't expect robots. With that said, any behavior within reason that is unsuitable for a family friendly and a "Premium" establishment should immediately be reported immediately to Guest Relations. Get names, and actions will be taken.

1st issue I would raise to Guest Relations is why the high cost of churros or mickey ears, doesn't ever trickle down to Joe Schmoe sprinkling sugar on the cinnamon treats, or the people sweating to keep walkways clear for you during parades.

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleAgent73 View Post
    1st issue I would raise to Guest Relations is why the high cost of churros or mickey ears, doesn't ever trickle down to Joe Schmoe sprinkling sugar on the cinnamon treats, or the people sweating to keep walkways clear for you during parades.
    because then the higher ups cannot get their huge bonuses. I feel like regardless of whatever (big) company I'm working for in the US, I'll always be underpaid and overworked...the Idea of dangling the carrot (that being a promotion with a bigger ammount earned) in a big compnay be it Disney or others is always there but few make it. Once there the cycle repeats because now you're the one wanting to make more. but alas it's a rant I'm going to stop there as this has been discuss forever.

regardless of where it is, talking will happen but specifically "grouping" (CMs clumped talking and not facing away from each other) is frowned upon. If this is the goofing off they're doing, ok that's no good but small talk as they continue to do their job I don't see a big deal with.

...As I see it

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

In that case you would have absolutely hated Disneyland back when I was a kid. Because in comparison they did act "perfect" 24/7.

• Chief Troublemaker

OK, I'm going to put in a good word for the CMs we interacted with when we were there last month. We only had one interaction that we would have considered less than stellar, but I would categorize that one as 'abrupt' rather than rude. Other than that, they were friendly,chatty, responsive & in a couple of instances went far beyond what they needed to do to help us. We did see them 'talking amongst themselves' at times but they broke off immediately if a guest approached them. The chatting doesn't bother me one bit, as long as they break off to help.

It's not easy to work the front lines, in any field. I know, I did for 33 years. And I did it in an air-conditioned office, not outside in who knows what weather. We always tried to have a good attitude, but it's hard to, as we used to say, 'leave your baggage outside the door on your way in & pick it up when you leave for the day'. That's when a smile or good word from a client really made a difference.

Cut them some slack. Treat them with respect. BTW, I saw quite a few 'guests' treat CMs with less than basic courtesy. Yes, we spend a lot of money to be there, but they are not our servants, we are not really 'princes & princesses'. Leave your sense of entitlement at home. I'm not referring to the OP or any posters in this thread. I wasn't there, didn't see what happened. This is just 'as I see it' advice.

Now I'm not saying that people haven't had bad experiences or that some CMs haven't been rude. I'm sure they have been, no one's perfect. I guess I'm just saying to remember (CMs and guests who are reading this) that we get what we give. "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make".
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Sshhh, being very quiet

As someone else mentioned...treat them with respect might be the key.

I've been going to the parks on a regular basis for the past 9 years and have never, ever run into a rude CM. Honestly, never. I always say hi to them, thank them whenever I can and I've even given "kudos" to a few at City Hall.

I've never seen them crowding around giggling with each other and have never heard cussing...

I'm not saying that the OP didn't witness these things, I just never have. CM's are people to though, they can have bad days I guess.

• Minion

ORDDU: I don't mind cast members joking around with each other as long as it's not at the expense of a guest. In Florida at the Magic Kingdom, for instance, my sisters and I were at the Bakery waiting for a cast member to acknowlege us so we could place our orders. There were 6 cast members behind the counter just laughing it up and having a good time--totally oblivious to the fact that they had guests waiting to be acknowledged. This went on for a full minute or more. We tried to get their attention but it seemed as though they were pretending not to notice they had any customers. Finally we had to speak up loudly to call out to them. Only then did they notice us and even then seemed reluctant to do their jobs. We reported them, later, to guest relations. That was not good behavior at all!
    Last edited by Witches of Morva; 10-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.

On my last trip to Disneyland... the cast members were the best part of my trip. A few going above and beyond what I consider normal to ensure we had a great experience. I am not sure what your standards are, but compared to normal employees in retail/ theme park environments ...these guys were top notch in my book. All pleasant, polite, and remarkably awesome.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast