Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thunderstorms this week?!

Happy Monday Everyone-

So my husband and I are headed down to California tomorrow evening (can't wait!) I keep checking the weather and it seems that every day that I check, the temperatures are lower. It is now showing that there will be thunderstorms wednesday night and thursday. We are okay with the rain (we are from Oregon) but unsure about the thunderstorms. We will appreciate smaller crowds possibly, but will many rides close down if it is raining hard or if there are thunderstorms? We were hoping to ride all of the rides before the weekend when it is supposed to be super busy. Also we want to see WOC wednesday or thursday (we have never seen it before) because on friday we will be a the halloween party and saturday we want to see the fireworks and shows at disneyland.

Any idea how the rain and thunderstorms will affect our trip?

Thanks!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: Thunderstorms this week?!

Yup weather is showing cloudy and thunderstorms on Wednesday and Thursday but T-storms on Thursday.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. I'm almost positive that it won't be raining that hard to shut anything down. It might just be cloudy. I'm sure WOC will still show.

Embrace the cool weather! I know I am..can't wait for it!

• Under that tree again!

Thunderstorms generally come with wind. This could be a big problem because wind effects the ability to display fireworks. The show can be limited in scope but often outright canceled.

Fantasmic and WoC are fer less effected by wind, with WoC standing up to it very well. These shows can be toned down a bit. The worse effect could be heavy rain which makes viewing these shows more difficult.

Otherwise a small number of attractions close due to rain.

What happens in the event of inclement weather?
    In the event of inclement weather during your visit to the Disneyland Resort, most attractions and indoor shows will continue to operate. For the safety and comfort of our Guests and Cast, some outdoor attractions may temporarily close until the inclement weather passes. These attractions may include:
    Disneyland Park

Please visit City Hall on Main Street, U.S.A. during your visit for updated information.
    Disney California Adventure Park

Please visit Guest Relations during your visit for updated information

• My Children's Father

I've heard anecdotally that the rain has negative effects on Radiator Springs Racers beyond the obvious effecs of riding outside in the rain. Something "mechanical" malfunctioned causing ride shut-downs when it rained last July.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

They say the snow level is going to be around 7000 feet which isn't that low. But what this means is that things will definitely be cooler compared to the insane heat that we've had for awhile. Remember to dress warm because it can get cold on So Cal on occasion.

OH....

This thread reminds me of one of my best trips to the parks that I put in my memory books in the 9 years I've been going.

It was raining pretty hard and my kid and I (he was about 3 at the time, he is now 8) were waiting in line for the Playhouse Disney (now Disney Junior) show. A cloud burst came and the former DCA esplanade (now the Carthay Circle) was getting full of puddles....my kid and I got out of line and started jumping in puddles. It was so empty in the park and CM's around were laughing with us. Our socks were soaked and I ended up buying us new disney socks after that.

It was very memorial to me. I love rainy Disney days

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Thunderstorms generally come with wind. This could be a big problem because wind effects the ability to display fireworks. The show can be limited in scope but often outright canceled.

Fantasmic and WoC are fer less effected by wind, with WoC standing up to it very well. These shows can be toned down a bit. The worse effect could be heavy rain which makes viewing these shows more difficult.

Otherwise a small number of attractions close due to rain.

what swampymarsh said.. that's correct and i agree... LOL

• ShovelyBubblyGobblyGook

Only a smidge off topic but does anyone know if the street performers come out when it gets drizzly? Like the Dans & Bootstrappers & stuff?

Some of the "Best Day Ever" times at Disneyland have been when it rains.
    It is cool, not crowded, and a fun place to have a nice lunch.
    You may find the end of the rainbow......

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Embrace the cool weather! I know I am..can't wait for it!
    Amen to that.

To the OP, dress accordingly and enjoy the weather! Disneyland in the rain is so much fun!

• Blew By You

SoCal thunderstorms generally are not the Kansas variety.
    There are many nice warm places to duck should it rain. I'd recommend the Grand Californian lobby, with its fireplace and bar.

Thanks for your help everybody, I really appreciate it!
    Flight leaves in 4 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    SoCal thunderstorms generally are not the Kansas variety.
    There are many nice warm places to duck should it rain. I'd recommend the Grand Californian lobby, with its fireplace and bar.
    Ha no, they are not...Honestly, I'll be surprised to see anything past grey clouds and a drizzle here or there. Especially in Anaheim.

I second the fireplace at Grand Californian. Sometimes, a CM comes out with a guitar and sings songs with the kiddies. It's really cute.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyShea3 View Post
    Thanks for your help everybody, I really appreciate it!
    Flight leaves in 4 hours!
    Have a safe flight!

• Rock Star Minion

storms delayed another day. Starting Wed instead of Mon (as was forecast last week).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Fountain Valley, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    I've heard anecdotally that the rain has negative effects on Radiator Springs Racers beyond the obvious effecs of riding outside in the rain. Something "mechanical" malfunctioned causing ride shut-downs when it rained last July.
    We've only had one rain since Racers has opened and the problem was with the wiring. These things take time to learn from. In the past month the attraction has been running great with minimal breakdowns and all the animatronics working correctly. I think in a light rain it should be okay, but a heavy rain might have to shut it down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast