Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: The GardenWalk has been sold!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. peabody View Post
    On the Disneyland website it says you can use your AP for discounts at Garden Walk. They have something to do with it!
    the disney site has always said that. places like CPK give discounts while PF Changs and others do not.

• Minion

If they are going to build a third park south of Katella, then buying the GardenWalk seemed like it would be a good move for Disney. They could have renamed it "Uptown Disney" or something, and put in a PeopleMover-style transportation system that would connect the entrances of all 3 parks, the 2 malls, and all the Disney-owned hotels. They would need the right-of-way through the GardenWalk area in order for that system to reach the third park. I'm surprised they didn't buy it, but maybe the company that did is a "partner" of Disney in some way.

• My Children's Father

I imagine that the blue sky folks at the WD company are considering the acqisition of GW in some capacity at some point in time, relative to the construction of the third gate. At some point, they will have to consider if the marginal rate of return of buying it is favorable. Right now, they don't see it as favorable. Or maybe it is the right thing to do eventually, but not right now.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

It isnt a sound investment and if disney were to buy that, they probably buy everything aroudn that area as well and expand the resort completely. Example image below.

Name:  disneyland_area2.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  181.3 KB

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    It isnt a sound investment and if disney were to buy that, they probably buy everything aroudn that area as well and expand the resort completely. Example image below.

I do think Disney would probably be wise to buy this entire block eventually as part of the next big expansion. But its going to take a lot of planning ... some of the existing infrastructure may be worth keeping in some Disney-fied manner (think Disneyland Hotel & Paradise Pier Hotel properties) while others may need to be bulldozed for parking lots or strawberry fields (a common "place holder" in SoCal land development) until the "ultimate" infrastucture is built.

Another challenge is what to do with Katella and Harbor ... they could be placed "underground" or otherwise tunneled over to provide additional airspace for usable DLR land.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"

• Banned User

To me, this says alot about Disneys plans for major expansion and a third gate. I
    think they dont have any. They dont even have a fourth hotel in the works which is absolutely unexplainable to me considering their occupancy rates. i think its clear they arent even considering any sort of expansion for the foreseable future.

•   
    • Banned User

I get your point and agree 99% but there's just one problem and it's in the same pic you posted. There's nothing say they must/will have to buy that whole block. After all, look at the SE corner of the Radiator Springs addition and you'll see that Desert Palms Hotel has survived both the original DL park, the DCA construction and now the Radiator Springs expansion. If they can build all that without needing that one corner of the block then yeah, it's possible Disney could use that strip for anything ( easement rights notwithstanding. )

...I just don't think it's likely.

• My Children's Father

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    To me, this says alot about Disneys plans for major expansion and a third gate. I
    think they dont have any. They dont even have a fourth hotel in the works which is absolutely unexplainable to me considering their occupancy rates. i think its clear they arent even considering any sort of expansion for the foreseable future.
    Looking at the above aerial view of the area north of Katella and East of Harbor, Disney could simply acquire a handful of motel properties, with a plan to refurbish them in varying degrees (anything from simply changing the sign out front to replacing them with "towers" like the DLH). The timing of the purchase is not right at this time.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I think a couple more bars, better parking (currently you only get 2 hours free with validation), and upgrades to the movie theater could make this place a success. It'd be nice to get more high end nightlife, but in all honesty it probably wouldn't work in this part of Orange County.

I understand that Anahiem wants their very own outdoor mall thing like the Block at Orange and the Irvine Spectrum..And so yeah some new shops better parking( like free parking) would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Seconded. As I remember, Disney has done studies on studies about more hotel rooms, and they have concluded that the market isn't there. The occupancy rate is maxed out where it is right now and it won't go any higher and they have looked at this from every angle and have basically beat this finding into the ground.

Without more hotel rooms, there is no third gate. Period.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by mratigan View Post
    its probably already owned by Disney
    they own that company and is a cover up
    It isn't as far-fetched as ppl might believe.

And why didn't the original developers open a large resort hotel on par with DLH/GCH by charge slightly less? It would have thrived! That is one thing lacking from the DLR area. A non-Disney resort w/ full amenities. THAT would capitalize of the proximity to the DLR.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't buy it, but maybe the company that did is a "partner" of Disney in some way.
    Since I mentioned this before I want to clarify.

In the 80's a huge maybe the largest shareholder of Disney was Sid Bass. Coincident or not the partnership that bought Gardenwalk includes Avenue Capital Management. Avenue happens to have been founded by Robert Bass Sid's brother.

Now Robert does not run Avenue, but may own a part of it. Sid now does not own a known part of Disney. Of course they may talk to people in each company. True or not that is a link at the least. Of course take into account that the Bass family is verify rich and has thier hand in a lot of things, hence a large web of ownership and influence.

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    Seconded. As I remember, Disney has done studies on studies about more hotel rooms, and they have concluded that the market isn't there.
    I doubt that is fact. It can only be proove by saying look they aren't building a new hotel right now. That doesn't mean they don't need another hotel room.

As with all capital expenses they are evaluated before being approved. Some are put in line to be purchased, it doesn't mean they happen right away.

Is there doubt that Disney has an eye on everything in the area? Considering they own land to the north, east, south and west, of the outlined area they are probably looking in the middle too. Even old plans of Disney's indicated they want some of that land. While this may have changed with the GW forcosure and sale the two open plots on the right are or were for Disney Hotels, this was planned with the original GW owners.

The open lot on Harbor is odd. Profitable hotels all around but that lot sits empty. Disney may own it in some manner. The owner may be fishing, hoping they can sell it for a larger price than it's worth, making it hard to sell.

Disney may own lots or buildings and hotels or restaurent owners may be paying them rent to se the building or the plots thier hotel stands on. It is hard to go through decades of public records that predate the internet to figure out who owns what.

Guess with the purchase of Lucasfilm we know what they decided to spend their money on

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by blackoutj View Post
    Guess with the purchase of Lucasfilm we know what they decided to spend their money on

umm no disney didn't buy the garden walk.. someone else did

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    umm no disney didn't buy the garden walk.. someone else did
    I think they were joking around saying Disney's plans were more focused on Lucasfilm than expanding Disneyland Resort.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast