Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: The GardenWalk has been sold!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    umm no disney didn't buy the garden walk.. someone else did
    Just because Disney acquired LucasFilm doesn't rule out the possibility of them purchasing the GardenWalk.

• My Children's Father

George Lucas could buy it and all the surrounding land that Disney could possibly want in the future, then sell it to them at an obscene profit.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    Just because Disney acquired LucasFilm doesn't rule out the possibility of them purchasing the GardenWalk.

well yeah in the future., i was talking about right now.

---------- Post added 10-30-2012 at 03:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    I think they were joking around saying Disney's plans were more focused on Lucasfilm than expanding Disneyland Resort.
    or buy Lucasfilm..and then for the kill and nab gardenwalk also...so maybe in the future we will see Gardenwalk owned by Disney..

i hope they are not gonna push Fire & Ice out
    i love that place ^_^

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    George Lucas could buy it and all the surrounding land that Disney could possibly want in the future, then sell it to them at an obscene profit.
    He could but if that was a good idea, he'd have a ton of competition. While not a lot of indiviuals have billions, lots of investment companies do.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    umm no disney didn't buy the garden walk.. someone else did
    Right but with the purchase of Pixar (way back machine), Marvel, Expanding fantasyland, Shanghai Disney, and now Lucas Film the constant use of capital expenditures does have to make them more cautious in their positioning for other 250 mil ~ purchases

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by blackoutj View Post
    Right but with the purchase of Pixar (way back machine), Marvel, Expanding fantasyland, Shanghai Disney, and now Lucas Film the constant use of capital expenditures does have to make them more cautious in their positioning for other 250 mil ~ purchases

More cautious? Probably not. Disney spends $250 million dollars for its big movies multiple time a year. Bay Lake Tower, Art of Animation Resort, Grand Floridan Expansion, Aulani, these things aren't cheap either.

When you have billions in the bank, $250M isn't that big.

I think the project from the get-go was a bust.
    Disney traps their visitors in the DLR between DLP, DCA, and DTD.
    Sure you can drive there and stop by somewhere for breakfast on the way in. But once you're in, it's hard to leave.
    The mall is not immediately accessible or visible from the resort entrance/exit on Harbor.
    They could have had a good viewpoint from the Lion King parking lot but instead you see the back of 24hr fitness and the back of the movie theater.
    With kind regards,
    The Tony

Just wondering, why do you say Disney does not have another hotel planed? There has always been a plan to build another hotel but they were first going to finish the remodel of the Disneyland Hotel and move from there. I know at one point there was a plan to demolish the Paradise Pier Hotel, but that has changed. The Disneyland Resort property is currently redoing its 10 year plan on the area and the land they have and soon will be purchasing more, but first they are going to improve the parking, pedestrian, hotel bus, transportation situation, and Esplanade area. From there they there are plans to move some of the Disneyland warehouse’s or backstage buildings to another area that was recently purchased. Once all that has been completed then we will see plans for Disneyland’s next major expansion and the 3rd gate. The 10 year plan does not including the redo of Tomorrowland, Main Street additions, and the redo of the Hollywood Area in DCA those have already been figured in, and announcements should be made soon. There was a board on here that talked about how much land Disney’s owns in the area, I know they have a lot, and there are more talks of purchasing more, we could be seeing some of the surrounding hotels in the area closed down in the coming years and or moved further away from the Resort area.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by APJ1127 View Post
    I think the project from the get-go was a bust.
    Disney traps their visitors in the DLR between DLP, DCA, and DTD.
    Sure you can drive there and stop by somewhere for breakfast on the way in. But once you're in, it's hard to leave.
    The mall is not immediately accessible or visible from the resort entrance/exit on Harbor.
    They could have had a good viewpoint from the Lion King parking lot but instead you see the back of 24hr fitness and the back of the movie theater.
    While that's true, few leave the resort in the middle or thier visit, things are planned to change.

The main entry to the resort is planned to be just north of Garden Walk, literally across the street. Plans keep growing that more guests will arrive at that point on new mass transit, and that Pumba a garage likely far bigger than M&F will be built there.

While companies keep things private, they may already have rights to buy/own GW.

I will say this, if Disney was smart and bought Garden Walk, they should tear it down and put a parking lot there. That's needed more than shops or a hotel. I just don't see Garden Walk being successful as it's in a very awkward area, and I don't think you need another mall or shops in the area. Location, location, location. Whatever you do with that, it would be best as a parking lot.

yeah, they should've just made it a parking garage for employees and guests

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    I will say this, if Disney was smart and bought Garden Walk, they should tear it down and put a parking lot there. That's needed more than shops or a hotel. I just don't see Garden Walk being successful as it's in a very awkward area, and I don't think you need another mall or shops in the area. Location, location, location. Whatever you do with that, it would be best as a parking lot.
    You can't see it in the picture below but it does help provide a frame of reference.

GW, has those to open plots on the right for hotels, and a parking garage on it's left lower 2/3s which was built to support a third hotel. To the north of it is Disney Parking eyed for a planned garage that can be bigger than the M&F garage. To the south is where the third gate is planned to go.

Why put a parking garade there instead of a hotel and retail.
    1. Because the hotels may be needed very soon as Disney is selling out it's current hotels more regularily. Why build more hotel rooms on the edge of the resort away from it's planned next gate instead of a convenient to all the parks location in the middle.
    2. While they don't likely need a lot more retail, as more guests come from the east side of the resort, they never see DTD. The GW may end up with the most foot traffic as the resort is currently planned.
    3. There is a huge area that is getting closer and closer to reality as the new parking area, the Honda Center and Angels Stadium. Used less than the majority or days right now for thier intended use, putting a garage mean the extra levels of parking are always available.

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post

For Garden walk to be successful they need to get those hotels and timeshares built and find a way of forcing the Old Naheim Hotel to sell so that the large piece of property could be torn up and give the mall a visible entrance on Harbor side.

its just not visible in its current location by most tourist which stay on properties along harbor and other surrounding areas of the resort.

the only tourist that cross paths to it are from the two or three hotels east of the mall.

other small motels along Katella are usually occupied by guests that would not venture into eateries and stores found in Garden walk now. Those motels are mostly old super budget badly aged motels

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    More cautious? Probably not. Disney spends $250 million dollars for its big movies multiple time a year. Bay Lake Tower, Art of Animation Resort, Grand Floridan Expansion, Aulani, these things aren't cheap either.

When you have billions in the bank, $250M isn't that big.
    Uh, certainly not. $250M is a lot, regardless of how much is in the bank. Disney spends all those millions on movies because they expect an immediate return in box office sales and then extended profits through home media sales. Buying the Gardenwalk means they're investing $250M + additional renovation fees on something that may not give any kind of return at all for one, two, five, ten years.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast