Quote Originally Posted by Mykayla View Post
    i hope they are not gonna push Fire & Ice out
    i love that place ^_^
    Same here!
    For the love of Disney....

• Under that tree again!

Re: The GardenWalk has been sold!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Uh, certainly not. $250M is a lot, regardless of how much is in the bank. Disney spends all those millions on movies because they expect an immediate return in box office sales and then extended profits through home media sales. Buying the Gardenwalk means they're investing $250M + additional renovation fees on something that may not give any kind of return at all for one, two, five, ten years.
    A big difference with real estate is the return is nearly perpetual. With movies only immediate. One is high risk, the other low risk.

•   
    • Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    I will say this, if Disney was smart and bought Garden Walk, they should tear it down and put a parking lot there. That's needed more than shops or a hotel. I just don't see Garden Walk being successful as it's in a very awkward area, and I don't think you need another mall or shops in the area. Location, location, location. Whatever you do with that, it would be best as a parking lot.
    I really hate to say it but that's what I've been thinking ( and just not saying out loud here ) from the start. The mall itself really isn't all that distinctive or interesting. It would be a shame to tear it down since someone spent a bundle building it but look at it. It's dying. It never really worked. Why continue to spend more and more on something that clearly isn't working? Waiting on a government bailout?

Nah, I'm with ya Oddball. The size and placement really do make it suited best as a huge parking garage. If it's one thing Disney should do before any efforts are spent on any third gate, it's plan for future infrastructure. That chunk of land just has "parking garage" written all over it, although I could see keeping the theater and maybe Bubba Gump Shrimp. ( Or make very small malls at each end to bolster the theater and restaurant, but the main mass would be parking. )

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    I will say this, if Disney was smart and bought Garden Walk, they should tear it down and put a parking lot there. That's needed more than shops or a hotel. I just don't see Garden Walk being successful as it's in a very awkward area, and I don't think you need another mall or shops in the area. Location, location, location. Whatever you do with that, it would be best as a parking lot.

It is successful and it will be even more when they have the right stores with the right restaurants that cater to the age groups that tend to go their. Disney does not need another parking lot, not in my opinion.They have a huge parking lot across from GW next to the Ramada..they also have Toy Story lot. I just think that GW needed anew set of owners and it needs to be flipped. It's not as popular as Block At Orange or the Irvine Spectrum but that is because GW didn't have the correct marketing tools and approach that I still believe it needs, and now that it's been bough I believe that all that will be reworked and it will bring in more shoppers and dinning options..The reason that the Irvine Spectrum is sooo popular is because it has two factors that keep it going—The options for dining and shopping and the people that go their + extras, they always have extras like in the winter a ice rink and or they host the charity thing with the play houses that cost more then my car..plus they got cool shops to look at like Cathay Jean, Old Navy, Urban Outfitters,Apple store (not that GW needs one).. but you see what I mean? It's got popular stores that people have heard ..it has places to eat too that are popular.. and popularity like that comes from word of mouth, and word of mouth comes from the people that have been to those places to dine and the more people that dine the more the word gets spread..etc.. You can't have a successful store with out people buying your stuff.. can't have a successful restaurant with out people eating in it..but you can't get the people to go their unless you have good marketing and advertising tools. And so like I said,with this new owner I hope all that will get reworked, I am sure itwill. But it won't happen over night.

..and in the future if Disney decides to buy the GW from the new owners, or buy them out, by then I hope most of the loans that the GW defaulted on are paid off or close to it, and the basis for a new structure to make that place a enjoyable outdoor mall is intact...

• My Children's Father

The location of the Pumba Lot makes more sense for a structure since it would better serve the existing DLR infrastructure. Since the GW already does have some parking as well as some businesses that may want to be kept, I don't see it getting bulldozed any time soon.

The area around GW does lend itself to DtD-like development and lodging, the former only if the right tenants and/or "architectural" features can't be found at the GW. They're also going to need a big transportation hub that will link the resort with ARTIC, or whatever other transportation mode is envisioned.

IMHO
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Sock Puppet

it will cost more i bet to bulldoze the GW for Disney IF and WHEN they buy it then to keep it and re-work it's dining and shopping options..

---------- Post added 11-01-2012 at 11:00 AM ----------

it will cost more i bet to bulldoze the GW for Disney IF and WHEN they buy it then to keep it and re-work it's dining and shopping options..

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    A big difference with real estate is the return is nearly perpetual. With movies only immediate. One is high risk, the other low risk.
    That's also true, but considering how much potential Disney sees in the real estate they already own (i.e., removing attractions in favor of others, parking lots, etc.), there isn't much need for a high risk investment at this time. I know the foresight argument is coming, so I'll just say that perhaps they have their eyes set on a different investment.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    ..and in the future if Disney decides to buy the GW from the new owners, or buy them out, by then I hope most of the loans that the GW defaulted on are paid off or close to it, and the basis for a new structure to make that place a enjoyable outdoor mall is intact...
    When an owner defaults and enters bankruptsy, the loans are discharged. There are no more loans. The holders of the loans (banks) get whatever they can at the auction. Disney could have bid on it since price of the mall is cheap when compared with market value, but I figure the price is still too high if....

1. Disney has to manage the mall. The mall has few tenants. It cost money to maintain.
    2. In the long term, the mall is worthless. Bulldozing is probably 10 years away, but this means Disney is paying a premium for land. The mall is probably worth $200 million. The land is worth $50 million. Disney is $150 million in the hole and they must put millions more into it to revive it or convert it into a parking structure to feed into the third park.

I felt the design of Garden Walk was a disaster. '

1. The parking structure is on the wrong side. It should be on the West side or Northside to allow better access for the nearby hotels.

2. The multi-levels does not allow the stores to face each other around a focal point. Some stores are orphaned with poor foot traffic.

3. The mall is difficult to navigate. It is hard to know what is on the other side.

This project is now the responsibility of the new owners. The only thing they can do is fix the tenant mix, have better signage, and focus on the customers nearby.

• The one, the only...

I really think that this was a mistake by Iger not to buy this. It is about the future. Disneyland resort can be a lot larger than it is today. Walt bought land not knowing exactly what he was going to do with it in Florida. I think that there needed to be some convincing of the Anaheim city council to make all of this work. This land could be hotles or a park. Disney has shown recently not to know how to plan for the future.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    While that's true, few leave the resort in the middle or thier visit, things are planned to change.

The main entry to the resort is planned to be just north of Garden Walk, literally across the street. Plans keep growing that more guests will arrive at that point on new mass transit, and that Pumba a garage likely far bigger than M&F will be built there.

While companies keep things private, they may already have rights to buy/own GW.
    That mystery strip! I always wondered if Disney would do anything with it.

---------- Post added 11-01-2012 at 06:35 PM ----------

My SO and myself came up with this last night while discussing the topic...
    We were not sure about the southern & eastern end of the TS lot (the unpaved sections of that block). A friend told us that the upper (NE corner) was in fact owned by Disney already. I don't know if anything like that is true, and the map below is just an idea/thought - excuse our drawing skills - i know that it looks like two 3rd graders drew it! LOL. But it helped us visualize what each of us were talking about last night.
    The mystery strip mentioned above and in page 3 by Swampymarsh would be a central transport area.
    We also considered the east Esplanade area as a transport hub.
    We drew a monorail into the 3rd gate and considered foot traffic between the parks but didn't draw it in.
    There would be tunnels under the north extention of the 3rd gate in two places for traffic (vehicles).
    We think that the Mega Guest parking area would have to rival those found in Vegas (read: tall and techno-advanced) as well as the cast lot too since the foot print of those areas are rather small. But when the plot is small, you must always go upwards!

~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• My Children's Father

JMazz: I think the "mystery strip" your thinking of (north side of Disney Way) is an electrical transmission easement at least and a utility "corridor" at most. Building anything there would be an expensive proposition.

That aerial photo does show a vacant lot on the South side of Disney Way adjacent to the Easterly side of the GW. What I think is your 3rd grader monorail goes right though this lot, so that would be a good spot for a stop. But I wonder if a People Mover would work better than a Monorail?
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I really think that this was a mistake by Iger not to buy this. It is about the future. Disneyland resort can be a lot larger than it is today. Walt bought land not knowing exactly what he was going to do with it in Florida. I think that there needed to be some convincing of the Anaheim city council to make all of this work. This land could be hotles or a park. Disney has shown recently not to know how to plan for the future.
    They've been pretty much poor planners since the days of DCA 1.0.

If Disney is serious about a third gate then they are in big trouble. They have no room to accommodate a third gate PLUS the necessary parking. Had they bought Gardenwalk, a parking garage can be built in that space to resolve this issue.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Panda View Post
    JMazz: I think the "mystery strip" your thinking of (north side of Disney Way) is an electrical transmission easement at least and a utility "corridor" at most. Building anything there would be an expensive proposition.

That aerial photo does show a vacant lot on the South side of Disney Way adjacent to the Easterly side of the GW. What I think is your 3rd grader monorail goes right though this lot, so that would be a good spot for a stop. But I wonder if a People Mover would work better than a Monorail?
    The mytery strip is planned for much of what JMazz has blue skyed in it.

The open lot is for a Disney Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post

Does Disney own this?
    Yes, Disney has approval from Anaheim to put a park there, but with DCa expansion need more parking. So to be "nice" instead of paving the rest(there was some parking in there before) of the Strawberry Fields they left an intentional buffer.

Mega Guest Lot?
    Disney also owns those two building to the north. Since WestCot was planned that area was planned for a garage. Also since it's not across the street from the park but has that thick hotel buffer, it could end up a lot taller than the M&F garage.

Mega Freeway access.
    Yes it's already in place, funny right now since it's a giant exit to a turn on Harbor instead of going into Pumba.

Mega Cast Garage. I rather think that Disney has already started the push to get CMs parking much further away down at the sport venues and that won't change.

? Hotels north of the Toy Story lot.
    Not all but to generalize those are pretty dumpy. When no money goes into properties, it means they are probably just waiting to be bought by someone willing to put money into them.

As far as the monorail stops, check this recent plan out below.

This is a plan for a limulticar streetrail that runs on streets. The northern most stop is north of the GW and south of the Pumba lot agreed to be worked on with Disney and Anaheim. Notice the stops to the east are near the giant sports venues.

The 3.2-mile line will connect the under-construction ARTIC train station--with connections to Amtrak, Metrolink, and possibly high-speed rail--to the Anaheim Convention Center, with stops at the Platinum Triangle, GardenWalk Mall, and Disneyland. A monorail, similar to the one that gets people into Disneyland, was also considered (too expensive), as was a bus system (little federal funding or opportunity for surrounding development). No word on an anticipated opening for the streetcar just yet.
    So why isn't that stop in the Esplanade, instead of next to Disney's parking lot? Because Disney has made plans for a moving walkway to connect the two. So when last week that streetcar plan came out, and they still don't want the stop at the parks, they must know how to get the people to the gates.

•   
    • Banned User

Depending on what Anaheim's zoning laws are for a structure's height or depth, a third park could be built on top of a parking garage. Have one big multi-level garage go down a couple of levels and the park on top of it.

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Depending on what Anaheim's zoning laws are for a structure's height or depth, a third park could be built on top of a parking garage. Have one big multi-level garage go down a couple of levels and the park on top of it.
    Have you been to Aria/City Center in Vegas? They use this concept there in some or all of their garages (a smaller scale than what Disney would need). So I know this can be done under all or most of the 3rd gate. Have you seen how it works? There are computers that let you know what is parked where and if you need to go up/down a level. There are massive vents that pull out the fumes and higher capacity elevators. So many possibilities! I know this type of garage exists elsewhere, but it is still pretty rare.

Swampy, that is a very interesting map. So the stop is nowhere near the esplanade, yet next to the strip of land as mentioned above. If this gets built (the light rail), I will be thrilled. It will be an indication that a 3rd gate is coming and takes care of the CM parking issues. When we were at the park last time, we saw the access to the freeway for the first time. We never needed to go down this street to this area before. I was amazed at how open and large the area was but I wondered why it was built considering there was such little usage of the area. I was hoping that it was a future need (a la 3rd gate). I remember talking about a park being built in the parking lot of Disneyland right after Epcot was built. It was a debate at the family table on more than one occasion. I remember the nay-sayers very well. Thx for the info. I will be reading it to dear SO in a few days. We both debate this 3rd gate, even tho we are both for it, one of us has to play the devil's advocate from time-to-time.

Giant Panda, we talked about PM and moving walkways and tunnels for foot traffic. If I were king of DL, I think I would choose a continuous system like PM.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast