Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3 days to go and he breaks his foot...

Crushed is more like it. My husband had a nasty run in with a rock on his dirtbike yesterday and is now casted up and forbidden to walk on it for at least 2 weeks. We'll need a wheelchair for him so I'm wondering what the procedure is for going on rides. I know some of the older rides won't have room to manouver thru the line up but how are the newer rides, more specifically those in CA? I'm so upset he did this

Re: 3 days to go and he breaks his foot...

Many of the older rides allow you to go to the exit and board there. Most of the newer rides you can go in line and then they will take the wheelchair while you ride and have it ready for you at the end. The only thing I am not sure about is with him not being able to walk getting on and off rides. That could pose a problem. If you rent a wheel chair from Disneyland they will give you a list that tells you about what rides and where to go to enter. CMs will also guide you when in doubt. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Skimbob View Post
    If you rent a wheel chair from Disneyland they will give you a list that tells you about what rides and where to go to enter.
    You can also pick it up in Guest Services just in case you aren't renting from Disney.

Another suggestion is getting an ECV instead of WC. Pushing a WC all day in the parks is a huge work out, so an ECV may work much better. Also if you rent from Disney you can park hop with your ECV/WC but not take it out of the Esplanade between the parks. You can rent from the Disney Hotels and take those back and forth from the hotels. If staying offsite, consider renting from Scooter Village or Deckerts so you can take it from your room to the parks and back, they can deliver it to your hotel room.

Thanks for the replies. He can use crutches to transfer from the wc to rides so that will help a bit. I'll definatly get that list!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Well, you will be able to ride the Haunted Mansion taking the elevator back up. The stretching portraits de-stretch. Its a neat experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skimbob View Post
    Many of the older rides allow you to go to the exit and board there. Most of the newer rides you can go in line and then they will take the wheelchair while you ride and have it ready for you at the end. The only thing I am not sure about is with him not being able to walk getting on and off rides. That could pose a problem. If you rent a wheel chair from Disneyland they will give you a list that tells you about what rides and where to go to enter. CMs will also guide you when in doubt. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
    ^^^And all that they said. It shouldn't be to bad.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I know some of the older rides won't have room to manouver thru the line up but how are the newer rides, more specifically those in CA?
    I'm sorry to hear to hear about his injury. The good news is that all the newer attractions are built with wheelchair-accessible queues, so typically, all you have to do is get in line just like normal. The CM's will explain what to do with the wheelchair at an appropriate time, and if you're confused, you can always ask. I hope you have fun!

• Minion

Crushed is more like it. My husband had a nasty run in with a rock on his dirtbike yesterday and is now casted up and forbidden to walk on it for at least 2 weeks.
    You and my mom both! 40 years ago she was happy that our upcoming trip to Disneyland (Californing state employees private party!) would be easy since all of us kids were out of strollers and suddenly my dad has a nasty fall and breaks his leg. She ended up pushing him around in a wheelchair and they had a nice time anyway.

Also when entering Disneyland they have a separate entrance for wheelchairs and ecvs that is quicker than the regular lines. It is down by the rental kiosk. You just give them your tickets or AP and they take care of your whole party. At DCA you will have to use the usual lines to get in.

Thanks Skimbob, I had no idea about that enterance.

Sadly this is not the first time something like this has happened. In 2006 3 weeks before our one and only WDW trip my then 14 yr old tore his ACL and was in a brace and WC for the whole 7 days. At least this is only 1 day.

• Minion

Thanks for the replies. He can use crutches to transfer from the wc to rides so that will help a bit. I'll definatly get that list!
    Be aware that he needs to be prepared also for evacuation. For example, he will be asked at Big Thunder Mountain, Can he walk down stairs should the ride breakdown and he have to evacuate. If he can't, they will suggest he not ride. Pirates is another one that is not easy to evacuate. But at least on that one, you can remain in the boat until they get you to the exit, it just may take a while.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Queen Elsa

And I though your son was the one that always get hurt Tear Did you tell Cat about this.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Sorry to hear about his foot. I agree with the earlier post regarding the motor scooter instead of the wheelchair. It will make it easier on whoever was going to push the wheelchair (going uphill into New Orleans Square makes the scooter worth every penny!) and he will have more freedom of movement.

Hope you still have a good trip!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

If you have crutches with you, they will ask you to keep them with you in case of evacuations on most rides.

Although when I was at Disneyland right before my hip surgery and was on crutches, I was stuck at the top of the drop on Splash Mountain. Even though my crutches went in the log with me, they wouldn't allow me to get out of the log until there was assistance. So I was trapped up there for about 2 hours before they got me out.

In CA Adventure, you should be able to use the regular lines, but for TSMM, I recommend asking for a return pass. You will get a pass to come back in the length of time the line normally takes and then you can walk right now. That line seems to be the hardest for me to deal with.

Ugh! I am sorry to hear about your husband's crushed foot, but others have helpfully described how it won't prevent him from experiencing any of the attractions.

I remember my trip to Disneyland in 1989 -- it was my first return trip since 1968, and it was the first time I was taking my wife there. Three days before the trip a bus slid through a stop sign and hit me while I was in the crosswalk. There wasn't any real damage (none to the bus at all -- imagine), but I did pull a muscle in my lower back and left leg and could not walk. That is, until the doctor prescribed some serious muscle relaxers and pain killers. It turned into one of my more entertaining and memorable trips to Disneyland ever.

I found Alice, in particular, to be quite the trip.

•   
    • Banned User

LOL, the Alice ride. Everything's better with vicodin.

So sorry to hear about your husband and I hope he heals okay. Glad to see it didn't stop you from going, it's just a change in HOW you go. I suspect all of us at one time or another had our heart set on a trip only to miss it because of an injury or car accident, etc.

As stated above a hundred times already, at least you now legitimately qualify for the disabled pass now. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast