• Nic

Is 3 1/2 days enough for Disneyland the week of New Years?

Hey all! My family just booked a trip to Disneyland from January 2nd - 4th (all full days), and I'll most likely buy myself a single-day, single park ticket for the night we get there (January 1st).

So my question is, is 3 1/2 days in the park enough for someone who adores Disneyland?

Some info
    • I only get 2, single-day trips per year. This will be my first full trip with all of my family since 2008 at Disneyland.
    • My family enjoys taking in all the details, and strolling around rather than running to attractions back-to-back.
    • We all want to do things we never do (i.e. Tom Sawyer's Island, Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, Fantasmic).

Do you think we should add another day to the trip?

Thanks for any input!
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Re: Is 3 1/2 days enough for Disneyland the week of New Years?

I believe during that week a lot of schools will still be out on break. Thus still a bit busy but probably not quite as busy as Christmas week. My opinion, I think 4 full days should be good.

• Under that tree again!

It's still very busy, I'd get as much time as you can.

itll be a bit busy but when its busy thats the perfect time to take in all the details of the park and do the things you usually dont do like tom sawyer island which i highly recommend because its one of the most funnest things you can do at Disneyland lol

• Blew By You

It could be busier than usual. There are two college football games at the Rose Bowl this year (the Rose Bowl game on Jan 1 and the BCS National Championship game) and should all four teams come from out of town, then there could be a crowded time at Disneyland and DCA. Tough call. An extra added day would be nice

how do you NEVER do Fantasmic? that's like the #1 reason my family goes to disneyland

• Disney "FREAK" since 1981

It's too bad you can't do all day New Years Day Jan. 1st. I went a couple years back and Disney was completely empty. Everyone was still hung over from the night before I'm assuming, so we got to do everything by like 1pm.

Either way, I think 3.5 days is probably enough time....but as always, the longer the better.

Have a wonderful trip though and best of luck with you planning!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

It will be super busy but the energy will be great! I would try and shoot for four full days!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• My Children's Father

5 or even 6 days would be better (assuming you're talking about both parks).

In any event, I recommend planning, planning, and more planning. Make judicious use of Fastpass, eat meals at "odd" times, make reservations at the retaurants that take them, etc.

Above all have fun!
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• a damsel not in distress

i would say, if it's possible, to add one more day. like the above people have mentioned, that's during a time when a lot of people are still on break from school and sporting events going on. additionally, it's following the busy holiday season, but still a time when the park will be decorated, so there may be an increase in people going for the atmosphere.

plus, worse case scenario is that the other days aren't busy but you still have an extra day in disneyland!

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I definitely can't speak for you and your family, but 3 1/2 days would not be long enough for me. Right now Disney only allows me to buy a 5 day parkhopper. If I want to stay longer than that, then I have to either buy expensive one day tickets or upgrade to an even more expensive annual pass.

With a 3 1/2 day trip, I also suggest that you do some planning. Not a schedule of every minute in the park, but definitely make a list of what you wish to accomplish during your trip. Then you need to get ahold of the park schedules for the days you will be there. They will tell you if/when things are running. Fantasmic, for instance may only be available on weekends. You can also get a whole lot more done if you are there when the parks open.

Have fun planning.

• Nic

Quote Originally Posted by phantasmic View Post
    how do you NEVER do Fantasmic? that's like the #1 reason my family goes to disneyland
    Like I said, we haven't been to the park as a whole family for more than one day since 2008; and in that 2008 trip, I was 9, and my brother was 5. My parents probably thought we couldn't sit for an hour and a half to wait for a spot to see a show, so opted out of it for more rides. The reason I haven't gone in the single-day trips after that, is because of the time constraints. If I'm only there for only one day, can't get there at the opening, and can't stay till park closing, I'm not gonna suck roughly 2 hours out of my day for a show. It'd be great if we could just walk up as it started, but from what I've read, you can't.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• a damsel not in distress

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Like I said, we haven't been to the park as a whole family for more than one day since 2008; and in that 2008 trip, I was 9, and my brother was 5. My parents probably thought we couldn't sit for an hour and a half to wait for a spot to see a show, so opted out of it for more rides. The reason I haven't gone in the single-day trips after that, is because of the time constraints. If I'm only there for only one day, can't get there at the opening, and can't stay till park closing, I'm not gonna suck roughly 2 hours out of my day for a show. It'd be great if we could just walk up as it started, but from what I've read, you can't.
    the last time i went, my sister and i were walking by about ten minutes before the second show started and saw that off to the side there was tons of standing room. though it wasn't the ideal location, we were still able to see everything and enjoy the show very much, so sometimes it is possible to walk up as it's starting!

either way though, i do hope you get to fit fantasmic! into your schedule somehow during this trip; it's one of my favorite things about disneyland

"oh, i just love happy endings!"