Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fat at Disneyland

As I have been posting, I am a big dude. I'm about 6ft tall and I am currently fluctuating between 365lbs and 370lbs. I carry my weight up front. About a year ago, I was at 430lbs... so I lost about 60lbs just making better choices.

When I started to plan our family's first DLR trip, I was concerned because me and my better-half are both overweight. I wanted to make sure that we weren't going to be miserable. So I studied and found that Disney, for the most part, is very accommodating. And we went. And we had a blast.

Being as big as I am is most definitely embarrassing. It is nobody's fault but my own. I am not "pooh sized", "gravity challenged", "fluffy" or a "person of size"... I am fat. People act like it's a sin to say so... it's really not. Yes, there are those out there who get distraught when you are so direct with them about it... those are the types that like to blame everyone else for their problems.

You can be direct without being mean though, so let's not go down that road.

Anyway, I wanted to list off everything that I was able to enjoy being as big as I am in hopes that it will help others. However, if you are big too, use Disneyland as motivation to get moving. When I started planning this trip 6 months before it took place, I started walking a lot. And boy did it pay off. During our DLR trip, at the end of every day, my feet hurt like crazy, but I still had more energy the most people in my family... and I'm the biggest

Here is a list of attractions I enjoyed:

DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE

• Soarin' Over California
    • Grizzly River Run (though if I were just a few inches wider, I would have had belt problems)
    • California Screamin' (I was shocked I fit this ride! There was room to spare)
    • Toy Story Mania
    • Hollywood Tower Hotel
    • Monsters Inc
    • Golden Zepher (why are they silver?? lol)
    • Little Mermaid Ride

DISNEYLAND PARK

• Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Haunted Mansion
    • Splash Mountain (only in last seat in back)
    • Star Tours
    • Matterhorn (ugh - once per trip - beat the heck out me)
    • Small world
    • Tea Cups (I bet I looked funny from the outside)
    • Pinnochio's Daring Journey
    • Roger Rabbits Car Toon Spin
    • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    • Jungle Cruise

I had issues with:

• Space Mountain - I opened a thread on this a few days ago.. I rode without the lap bar being engaged. The CM looked but moved on anyway. It was fun, but dangerous. I tried to board for a second time in the front car thinking it would have more leg room.. the lap bar still would not engage and I ended up not riding. I did not take advantage of the handicapped vehicle that may have worked for me... was just too embarassed at that point.
    • Gadgets Coaster in ToonTown - The car is just too small and I am just too big.

I didn't even bother with:

• Silly Symphony Swings
    • Bugs land rides

I probably missed some... but that's all I can remember right now.

---- EDIT ----
    I would also like to echo that securing your seatbelt before sitting down, if you are physically able to do so, will greatly help out. I was able to do this on TOT, Matterhorn, Grizzly, Soarin and many others.
    ---- END EDIT ----

Overall, I was amazed at how my size didn't hinder me much at the parks. We had a great time! That said, I still felt very embarrassed at times while waiting in line because I know there are others behind me that are probably rolling their eyes thinking "I hope I don't get stuck with that fat dude". But that is really nobody's fault but my own. It's something I live with because of the choices I made. It's also motivation for me to continue losing the weight.

Finally I would like to point out that I don't think Disney should go out of their way to become more accommodating to super fat people. They should do whatever they have to to support the majority of their guests as it is just plain good business. But those online screaming that Disney needs to do more to support "people of size" need to just calm down and realize that such an attitude is probably how you got into your predicament to begin with. It's ultimately your problem to fix, not theirs.

Have a good evening.
    Last edited by pushforth; 10-10-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: quick formatting edits

• a damsel not in distress

Re: Fat at Disneyland

this is really a helpful thread! i mentioned somewhere else that i have a larger friend and was worried about our trip, and this would have definitely helped in the planning. did you happen to try indiana jones at all? i know that was one he was wanting to go on.

congratulations on your weight loss so far and your continuing motivation to get healthy! though i'm glad there were rides you could ride without a problem and you could enjoy your time in the parks, i look forward to a future trip report from you where you are able to utilize all rides

"oh, i just love happy endings!"

Quote Originally Posted by bisforbrittney View Post
    this is really a helpful thread! i mentioned somewhere else that i have a larger friend and was worried about our trip, and this would have definitely helped in the planning. did you happen to try indiana jones at all? i know that was one he was wanting to go on.

congratulations on your weight loss so far and your continuing motivation to get healthy! though i'm glad there were rides you could ride without a problem and you could enjoy your time in the parks, i look forward to a future trip report from you where you are able to utilize all rides
    We just went at the end of September... IAJ was already closed for refurb Really bummed... not sure how I would have faired...

• Banned User

That's about the most responsible thing I've heard any human being say in months. God bless you sir. Also, I'm glad you found the park enjoyable and things were 99% unaffected otherwise.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Great thread. Thank you for posting!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    That's about the most responsible thing I've heard any human being say in months. God bless you sir. Also, I'm glad you found the park enjoyable and things were 99% unaffected otherwise.
    I can't say it any better myself, so I second this. I am so impressed with seeing someone take personal responsibility for ANY aspect of their health. I wish you the best of luck and am also excited to hear how your next trip goes for you!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

love your attitude! space mountain is really unforgiving, i fit in okay but the way it is designed, there is just no way anyone with any measurable gut can fit in comfortably. forget fat, if you are even overweight you will have a tough time in that ride.

• formerly very helpful

I really appreciated what you wrote. Clearly, you have a very healthy attitude about life and responsibility. Hopefully more people will learn from your example. And not only about weight issues.

Quote Originally Posted by pushforth View Post
    As I have been posting, I am a big dude. I'm about 6ft tall and I am currently fluctuating between 365lbs and 370lbs. I carry my weight up front. About a year ago, I was at 430lbs... so I lost about 60lbs just making better choices.

When I started to plan our family's first DLR trip, I was concerned because me and my better-half are both overweight. I wanted to make sure that we weren't going to be miserable. So I studied and found that Disney, for the most part, is very accommodating. And we went. And we had a blast.

Being as big as I am is most definitely embarrassing. It is nobody's fault but my own. I am not "pooh sized", "gravity challenged", "fluffy" or a "person of size"... I am fat. People act like it's a sin to say so... it's really not. Yes, there are those out there who get distraught when you are so direct with them about it... those are the types that like to blame everyone else for their problems.

You can be direct without being mean though, so let's not go down that road.

<snip>

Finally I would like to point out that I don't think Disney should go out of their way to become more accommodating to super fat people. They should do whatever they have to to support the majority of their guests as it is just plain good business. But those online screaming that Disney needs to do more to support "people of size" need to just calm down and realize that such an attitude is probably how you got into your predicament to begin with. It's ultimately your problem to fix, not theirs.

Have a good evening.
    At my base, I agree with everything you said. But there are a few things that I would like to say as another fat-guy. (5'5, 289 at last weigh-in.)

I completely agree that 95% of fat people are fat because of their own choices. Unless your taking prednisone or you have a medically diagnosed issue, the problem ultimately lies within you. What I don't agree with, is fat shaming. Myself, I'm fat because of several things that have happened to me over my lifetime, *including* ****itallitis. Now again, all me. But that doesn't give people the right to be mean, as you stated.

But, at least in my experience, people aren't just "direct". They're truly mean. There's youtube videos of people recording fat people in the carts at various disney parks. Another great example is the news lady that had an email sent to her essentially telling her that she should not be on TV because it looks bad to the youngin's, and they'll be fat too because she is. Now he wrapped his wording up in "concern" but honestly, it was nothing more than fat-shaming. That has absolutely no place.

And finally, there is a lot to be said about compassion. We don't know what these people go through, even as big peeps ourselves. There is usually something much deeper going on then just eating crappy. (I mean mentally). Again, that doesn't excuse them being overweight, but we all have flaws or situations in our lives that have affected us negatively in some way. And we all struggle to work through them.

None of these things excuse line-jumpers however. Having issues doesn't give you carte blanche to be rude, unkind, etc to other people on either side.

As for what I can and can't ride - I've yet to find a ride I can't ride. The worst ride that I've found is the Silly Swings. I can fit the bar down but its super tight. But that's ok - I can ride California Screamin 5 times in a row and that's really all I care about!

Quote Originally Posted by BrienBear View Post
    At my base, I agree with everything you said. But there are a few things that I would like to say as another fat-guy. (5'5, 289 at last weigh-in.)

I completely agree that 95% of fat people are fat because of their own choices. Unless your taking prednisone or you have a medically diagnosed issue, the problem ultimately lies within you. What I don't agree with, is fat shaming. Myself, I'm fat because of several things that have happened to me over my lifetime, *including* ****itallitis. Now again, all me. But that doesn't give people the right to be mean, as you stated.

But, at least in my experience, people aren't just "direct". They're truly mean. There's youtube videos of people recording fat people in the carts at various disney parks. Another great example is the news lady that had an email sent to her essentially telling her that she should not be on TV because it looks bad to the youngin's, and they'll be fat too because she is. Now he wrapped his wording up in "concern" but honestly, it was nothing more than fat-shaming. That has absolutely no place.

And finally, there is a lot to be said about compassion. We don't know what these people go through, even as big peeps ourselves. There is usually something much deeper going on then just eating crappy. (I mean mentally). Again, that doesn't excuse them being overweight, but we all have flaws or situations in our lives that have affected us negatively in some way. And we all struggle to work through them.

None of these things excuse line-jumpers however. Having issues doesn't give you carte blanche to be rude, unkind, etc to other people on either side.

As for what I can and can't ride - I've yet to find a ride I can't ride. The worst ride that I've found is the Silly Swings. I can fit the bar down but its super tight. But that's ok - I can ride California Screamin 5 times in a row and that's really all I care about!
    Yes - fat shaming is just as hateful as shaming someone for their race, religion, sexual preference, etc. And contrary to what some believe, it's not a very good motivational tool.

But just as serious is the attitude that some people have towards their big size. They feel that society owes them something. It's not true, in fact the opposite. If you're big, you should be going out of your way to ensure you're size isn't negatively affecting others. And how people are affected isn't so readily apparent.

I can't get on Gadget Go Coaster either. That is one teeeny seat!

Congrats on your weight loss. Keep up the good work.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

Excellent post! It answers a lot of questions I had about fat people (as you yourself called it) in the parks.

Thanks for sharing such an open and informative post!

You've got a great attitude about all of this Pushforth. That's very refreshing to see.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die.
    --> Zero to Hero Transformation

• Knight that says Nee!!

Congrats on your weight loss and I'm glad you had a fun visit!

• ♥figment

Wow! Your post was very interesting to read and I agree with your last paragraph. Hope you visit DL again soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast