Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• -

Re: A bit disappointed in the workers at this year Halloween Party.

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    Unlike you, I cannot and I do not understand this mentality at all.
    From one human to another, at work or not, if someone thanks you, you aknowledge the person, esp a child (gotta lead by example - teaches the child manners in a very practical way). It should be a reaction that your parents taught you and by the time someone can work (age 16), it should be the most natural thing.

No matter how bored or ticked off the CM is, they should aknowledge the guests, period. It takes almost no effort, so that excuse is truely where I just don't get it (the concept mentioned above).

Society as a whole, is all about me me me. It is disgusting when the CS worker makes it about them. They are feeling dismissed/ignored/bothered in some way by guests, they decide to advertise it w/ body language and poor attitude to all guests. They have to make sure that everyone knows they are upset (for whatever reason). Well this isn't your facebook page. Get the H*** over yourself and play the part. When you get off work, you can complain to whoever wants to listen. It is so easy to not wear your emotions on your sleeve 24/7. When you do, you make life miserable for yourself (and everyone around you). Leaving it at the door is better for your health. These CMs should use work as an escape from their problems and deal w/ whatever bugs them on their time, not work time.

Excellent post. Well said!
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Selfie Expert

I'd say give the kids more candy, because the monsters are fueled by the stuff. However, if an adult is in line and shoving kids to the ground to get closer or anything, give the adult some candy with a smile. I feel like when I wait in line for a character, I get a lot of dirty looks from parents who are waiting, too. I've actually had to argue that I was next when families shove their children in front of me to get a picture. Anyway, another thread another day. Basically, there's no need for ANYONE to be GRUMPY when there is candy, costumes, and Disney occurring simultaneously, no matter the cost, setting, or whatever. The CM should have been pleasant and interactive with everyone. The trick or treaters of ALL ages should have been polite and gracious for the treats, and not jealous about the amount anyone else was receiving. Now you may all right that last part out on my chalkboard twenty times each, in cursive, and give me you favorite treat from the party before leaving. I don't want to hear any more about it!! *finger wag*

Love,

Your 26 year old fairy godpharmacist. *muah!*

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I understand that everyone loves candy, the more the better but I'm just curious what in the world will you be doing with a 40 lbs bag of candy...
    Anyways, I agree Disney needs to re think their customer service. Disney used to be fun because everyone working there was smiling and genuinely happy to be there but now, the service has dropped and definitely takes away from the magic. I think that Disney needs to be more strict when hiring people so that the people working there aren't just teenagers who view it as another "summer job" but are excited and REALLy want to work there and bring back the magic that once inspired and enraptured the world.
    "Ooooh all right, thats it! Dishonor! Dishonor on your whole family! Make a note of this! Dishonor on you Dishonor on your cow. Dis...." -Mushu

• Sock Puppet

^ 40 LBS OF CANDY?? oh well i eat mine. that's what i do with my 40 lbs of candy....

but i just got to say CM's do the best they CAN do to make our trips/visits enjoyable..they are just trying their best i guess in some cases

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Anyone else find it amusing this thread is about getting candy from trick or treating for adults vs kids. I go every year and I have a blast. The CMs have always been great to generalize them here in this thread seems a bit much to me but that's my opinion of course. It's meant to just be a fun event not a contest for how much candy can I get lol

Just go in and let your mind be free and enjoy it even if you feel you should have gotten 4 kit kats instead of 3. And if you want that 4 kit kat go through the line again or another one.
    I think it is more the thing of who this event is for. It is meant for all the guests not just the kids like some are advocating.My earlier point was that we go as adults to have a fun Halloween experience. We never get trick or treaters in our area because we are out in the country so it is fun for us to see everyone dressed up experiencing the holiday fun. I don't even eat candy anymore.

• Minion

normally when I go trick or treating, I get a lot of candy if they like my costume. an example is last yr, I got a candy apple since my costume is nice but my friends just got normal candy. that's only cus I had a very nice costume.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    normally when I go trick or treating, I get a lot of candy if they like my costume. an example is last yr, I got a candy apple since my costume is nice but my friends just got normal candy. that's only cus I had a very nice costume.
    Are you SURE it was because the CM liked your costume? Did they say "we are giving you more candy/candy apple because you have a better costume than your friends" or something.

I only ask because if THAT were the case...then Disney has alot of CM training to do regarding the Halloween event as well as working on their grumpiness.

**edit
    Actually after re-reading Dannyland's post above...I think he meant regular door to door trick or treating...not Disneyland Halloween Event trick or treating....correct?

• Insomniac

Unlike you, I cannot and I do not understand this mentality at all.
    From one human to another, at work or not, if someone thanks you, you aknowledge the person, esp a child (gotta lead by example - teaches the child manners in a very practical way). It should be a reaction that your parents taught you and by the time someone can work (age 16), it should be the most natural thing.

No matter how bored or ticked off the CM is, they should aknowledge the guests, period. It takes almost no effort, so that excuse is truely where I just don't get it (the concept mentioned above).

Society as a whole, is all about me me me. It is disgusting when the CS worker makes it about them. They are feeling dismissed/ignored/bothered in some way by guests, they decide to advertise it w/ body language and poor attitude to all guests. They have to make sure that everyone knows they are upset (for whatever reason). Well this isn't your facebook page. Get the H*** over yourself and play the part. When you get off work, you can complain to whoever wants to listen. It is so easy to not wear your emotions on your sleeve 24/7. When you do, you make life miserable for yourself (and everyone around you). Leaving it at the door is better for your health. These CMs should use work as an escape from their problems and deal w/ whatever bugs them on their time, not work time.

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 04:49 AM ----------

LMBO!!!
    Perfect sentence for H'ween Time.
    Like I said, I do not do this. It doesn't bother me near as much as it bothers you, obviously. I always say thank you to every CM I see. It is not about me, I just understand how some feel when working customer service. After 14 years of smiling and being polite when a guest is screaming at you for something that was not your fault (and sometimes the fault of the guest) it gets difficult to keep the mood of "everyone is awesome." I still deal with it and put forth effort to be kind to everyone because I do care about my job. I do care about the customers. I do care about those around me. But most people who get paid just above minimum wage do not. Just because you don't agree with the philosophy behind it doesn't mean that people don't feel this way. I am not saying I support this behavior, it just does not particularly upset me.

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 08:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mushu View Post
    I understand that everyone loves candy, the more the better but I'm just curious what in the world will you be doing with a 40 lbs bag of candy...
    Anyways, I agree Disney needs to re think their customer service. Disney used to be fun because everyone working there was smiling and genuinely happy to be there but now, the service has dropped and definitely takes away from the magic. I think that Disney needs to be more strict when hiring people so that the people working there aren't just teenagers who view it as another "summer job" but are excited and REALLy want to work there and bring back the magic that once inspired and enraptured the world.
    We give ours out at Halloween, to my uncle for his 3rd grade class, to my nieces, and to my little brothers. I don't usually end up eating much since I have a heart condition that limits the amount of sugar I can eat. It's not that I care about the candy itself, it's the fact that we noticed a considerable difference in the amount of candy given out this year vs last year. They increased prices, and actually decreased the amount of product they give out.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

So what kind of candy do they give out at this shindig anyway? I would go just for the special parade and fireworks, but I wouldn't bother with the candy if it's those grody black and orange peanut butter candies or something.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes."

• Insomniac

It's name brand candy bars like Reese's peanut butter cups, snickers (not small ones), tootsie rolls, skittles, apples, ect.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

The event as i see it....is so silly....trick of treating is free in your neighborhood....and all the rides are the same as during the day...so what your paying for is a small parade and fireworks 40-160 if you have a family

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Skimbob View Post
    I think it is more the thing of who this event is for. It is meant for all the guests not just the kids like some are advocating.My earlier point was that we go as adults to have a fun Halloween experience. We never get trick or treaters in our area because we are out in the country so it is fun for us to see everyone dressed up experiencing the holiday fun. I don't even eat candy anymore.
    Me either. It just isn't my thing. But I understand why ppl do (I would prefer cheesecake, but they don't give thyat out at the TOT lines!!!)

Anyway, I do agree that as adults w/ no kids in our party most of the night, we had a blast. We never felt that we were excluded. Aside from the TOT lines, we thought that it was a family event that was marketed towards us (adults in general). If you happen to have kids, "bring them along, they'll have fun too" is how it felt to us.

During a time of year when night hours are hard to come by, it really seemed to me that they were marketing to adults/adults with kids/teens/young adults. The pre-schoolers just seemed to be along for the ride and were few and far between starting even before the FW show.

Even tho we fall in the tourist group w/ our visitation patterns, we noticed that the major marketing was geared towards locals.

---------- Post added 10-13-2012 at 02:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    Excellent point.
    Back "in the day", I remember this happening. When I was a kid, if you had a great costume, the adults handing out candy would ooo and ahhh over you and then give you more or extra. As an adult, I remember (before moving to BFE), that I too would give a bit more to kids w/ better costumes. I mean "better" by recognizing them - the character or monster they were dressed as.

On the flip side: A snot-nosed teen/pre-teen with a black hoodie that threw on some eyeliner from his mom's make up case and called himself a zombie got the minimum amount of candy.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

•   
    • Minion

Back "in the day", I remember this happening. When I was a kid, if you had a great costume, the adults handing out candy would ooo and ahhh over you and then give you more or extra. As an adult, I remember (before moving to BFE), that I too would give a bit more to kids w/ better costumes. I mean "better" by recognizing them - the character or monster they were dressed as.

On the flip side: A snot-nosed teen/pre-teen with a black hoodie that threw on some eyeliner from his mom's make up case and called himself a zombie got the minimum amount of candy.
    Ha ha, yes. At our house, the rule was no costume = no candy (we didn't answer the door).

• some assembly required

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Like I said, I do not do this. It doesn't bother me near as much as it bothers you, obviously. I always say thank you to every CM I see. It is not about me, I just understand how some feel when working customer service. After 14 years of smiling and being polite when a guest is screaming at you for something that was not your fault (and sometimes the fault of the guest) it gets difficult to keep the mood of "everyone is awesome." I still deal with it and put forth effort to be kind to everyone because I do care about my job. I do care about the customers. I do care about those around me. But most people who get paid just above minimum wage do not. Just because you don't agree with the philosophy behind it doesn't mean that people don't feel this way. I am not saying I support this behavior, it just does not particularly upset me.

It isn't that it "bothers" me more than the average guest, or "upsets" me... going to the dentist bothers and upsets me LOL.

It is about the principal and the point of this entire thread.

I certainly have empathy for them. I worked in CS for many years and still do in a way. CS is a part of many jobs, most jobs in fact.

But If I saw any of my employees acting the way 20% of CM act, they'd be out the door very quickly. I have had to let some of them go for years now based on attitude. But this is a last resort. I re-train them *myself* so that I can get to the root of the issue and solve it if it can be solved. I fear that Disney wont take the time to do this and lets that 20% fester.

And my point above really focused on manners toward another human being...

It doesn't matter how much one makes. To me that is neither here nor there. The CM accepted the position and agreed to do a job for that amount of money. Will there be brats that will break the agreement and flake off? Sure...
    My point was that I cannot empathize with someone who abuses a guest or condone those who will not show respect to a fellow human being. It baffels me that others can! I get that a CS worker is going to have bad days b/c of bad customers, but passing that off to the next guest should never be encouraged IMO. I also get that it appears to you that I have some sort of issue or thin skin or that I am out of touch w/ the reality of CS work. This isn't the case. I am quite aware of the issues at DLR, and on my last and logest trip, I tried very hard to actually change the CM POV if they were having a bad "moment" at any given time thru the week I was there; we did this many times and never stick around to see if it works really.

So I choose to try to fix a problem while I am paying for a vaykay! Saying it "bothers" me more than you is correctI suppose, but I go beyond experiencing the problem and actually try to give a fix to the situation as opposed to brushing it off and thereby condoning it. Sometimes it is as simple as a smile and a nod, or just a word or two. Many ppl do this, I'm sure you do too. I am guessing though that not many ppl will be consistant w/ this and not many ppl will get creative w/ what they do to try and fix an issue like this when it happens near them. I hope that MCers have a bigger % of ppl that would choose not to condone it.

Empathize that they are under paid and have a less than stellar job? YES.
    Condone that they are treating other ppl with disrespect b/c of that fact? NO.

BTW, I hope that no one, including you, thought my post was directed at you. I saw that you said right off the bat that you didn't act this way and I believe it. If you have been in CS for 14 years, I am guessing that you've been around the block a few times as I have and that you are in your 30s like me. I just feel we are too wise in our "old age" to encourage this mentality, even if on a small case-by-case basis in the form of a post on a high profile thread.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Ha ha, yes. At our house, the rule was no costume = no candy (we didn't answer the door).
    Of course there is always the example illustrated in It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown: The kids with the lousy costumes get rocks instead of candy.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast